Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

the village people

rated by 0 users
Answered (Verified) This post has 1 verified answer | 6 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 75 Contributor
Male
1,018 Posts
Points 17,760
Kelvin Silva posted on Sun, May 6 2012 11:38 PM

So lets say that there is a company that makes a product, but then they dump the waste on village people's land. The village people get cancer, however since the village people are far away from the consumers (lets say the consumers are in california and the village people are in the middle of the united states), the consumers wont care about the village people since they are so far away. So therefore if government cant step in to tell the company to stop hurting the environmental waste, then how do we stop the village people from dieing?

I argued this point by saying, well there is probably going to be a point where dumping on the village people becomes too costly (too much waste) to be dumped (paying the trash company to dump ur stuff), and then the company will research technologies to minimize waste and therefore enchance their profit.

But then the counter argument was that, well dumping is generally much cheaper, and the amount of waste required to make dumping expensive is unreachable, so therefore if the government tells the company to stop dumping waste on the village people, the village people will not die off and the company can still make the profit (the government forces the company to research new technology)

So then what do I say?

“Since people are concerned that ‘X’ will not be provided, ‘X’ will naturally be provided by those who are concerned by its absence."
"The sweetest of minds can harbor the harshest of men.”

http://voluntaryistreader.wordpress.org

• | Post Points: 50

Answered (Verified) Verified Answer

Top 500 Contributor
203 Posts
Points 3,195
Verified by Kelvin Silva

@Mikachusetts You beat me to the punch; but you did a way better job than I was going to so i don't mind. I lost it on the "dumping" part.

• | Post Points: 5

All Replies

Top 75 Contributor
1,288 Posts
Points 22,350

The company is a tortfeasor in this scenario.

The Voluntaryist Reader: http://voluntaryistreader.wordpress.com/ Libertarian forums that actually work: http://voluntaryism.freeforums.org/index.php
Top 75 Contributor
1,133 Posts
Points 20,435
Jargon replied on Sun, May 6 2012 11:54 PM

The village is entitled to sue the dumpers for property (their bodies and the land) damage.

Land & Liberty

The Anarch is to the Anarchist what the Monarch is to the Monarchist. -Ernst Jünger

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Male
1,018 Posts
Points 17,760

but then the company wins the lawsuit

“Since people are concerned that ‘X’ will not be provided, ‘X’ will naturally be provided by those who are concerned by its absence."
"The sweetest of minds can harbor the harshest of men.”

http://voluntaryistreader.wordpress.org

Top 75 Contributor
1,133 Posts
Points 20,435
Jargon replied on Mon, May 7 2012 12:01 AM

How do you know?

Land & Liberty

The Anarch is to the Anarchist what the Monarch is to the Monarchist. -Ernst Jünger

Top 150 Contributor
Male
653 Posts
Points 13,185

The village people get cancer

Yes, one of the village people did die from cancer.  Another from AIDS.

since the village people are far away from the consumers (lets say the consumers are in california and the village people are in the middle of the united states), the consumers wont care about the village people since they are so far away.

The village people are actually from New York City, but have fans all over the world.  As long as they keep an active touring schedule, I'm sure consumers will continue to care about the village people.

then how do we stop the village people from dieing?

Well death is a fact of life, we can't stop it.  All we can do is continue to play the village people's music at our weddings and gay clubs, and the village people's memory will live on forever.

there is probably going to be a point where dumping on the village people becomes too costly (too much waste)

I'm sure some of the village people actually enjoy being dumped on, and would gladly let you do it for free. 

So then what do I say?

Its fun to stay at the Y M C A.

they said we would have an unfair fun advantage

"enough about human rights. what about whale rights?" -moondog
Top 500 Contributor
203 Posts
Points 3,195
Verified by Kelvin Silva

@Mikachusetts You beat me to the punch; but you did a way better job than I was going to so i don't mind. I lost it on the "dumping" part.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS