Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

The Overnight Student and Self-Improvement

This post has 5 Replies | 4 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 197
Points 3,920
TheFinest Posted: Mon, May 7 2012 11:29 PM

For the next paragraph, google 'The Overnight Student' and click on the first link to download the e-book (it's less than 50 pages)

I have known about this specific work for a while since my dad is a suscriber to Gary North's website. It contains a very simple method of earning high grades via a two step method: 1) Taking notes and 2) Lecturing to a wall in your own words what you have written down on your notes. Supposedly, the author claims that after failing two semesters and being put on academic probation, he eventually went back to school and after some rough patches began boosting his grades via the old fashioned note taking method and a entirely new method he came up with in a time of panic. The method succeeded tremendously and just like the second part of the title says, he got straight A's from then on out and became a professor.

This concept is part of a very recent interest I have started to have in the field of self-improvement and self-education. Despite just having started, I have already come across a couple interesting blogs regarding somewhat radical approaches to succeeding in life including Steve Pavlina's blog and All Japanese All The Time. I'm also going to be picking up David Allen's Getting Things Done from my local library.

What I'm trying to get across here is something that I think those that espouse a free societty should take heed. While it is important to get across the messages of liberty and yada yada yada, it is equally as important to promote methods and techniques to succeeding in our world as individuals so that people can see that even the most misfortunate can succeed in this world. The potential empowerment of these methods can help lead many people to look outside the conveyor belt life that governments and school promote 24/7 and help them realize that the over emphasis on obedience and servitude is a load of crap.

Honestly, discovering things like what I just described fills me with more hope for the future that Austrians invision. I think in the future I will dedicate a blog to self-improvement myself because of how important I think it is in convincing people to join our cause.

Does anyone else visit any blogs that discuss practical self-improvement?

PS: Sorry if I'm rambling a bit, I am pretty tired atm

• | Post Points: 50
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

TheFinest:
This concept is part of a very recent interest I have started to have in the field of self-improvement and self-education. Despite just having started, I have already come across a couple interesting blogs regarding somewhat radical approaches to succeeding in life including Steve Pavlina's blog and All Japanese All The Time. I'm also going to be picking up David Allen's Getting Things Done from my local library.

In that vein, I recommend checking Interesting blogs you probably don't know.

Honestly, discovering things like what I just described fills me with more hope for the future that Austrians invision. I think in the future I will dedicate a blog to self-improvement myself because of how important I think it is in convincing people to join our cause.

In that vein, I recommend Jeff Tucker's books...

It's a Jetsons World

Bourbon for Breakfast

as well as some classics (new and old):

Think and Grow Rich

The Power of Positive Thinking

Secrets of the Millionaire Mind

Cashflow Quadrant  (probably more useful than Rich Dad, Poor Dad)

Man's Search for Meaning

The 5 Love Languages

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,249
Points 70,775

My blog, the psychology parts.

Start with the very first post.

My humble blog

It's easy to refute an argument if you first misrepresent it. William Keizer

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 366
Points 7,345

I lurk in the shadows for these topics.

FYI, this has already been discussed:

http://mises.org/Community/forums/p/11764/267430.aspx

http://mises.org/Community/forums/p/17366/340025.aspx

You might notice that first link's OP is a certain special someone...(*cough* me *cough*)

Latest Projects

"Even when leftists talk about discrimination and sexism, they're damn well talking about the results of the economic system" ~Neodoxy

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,490

Just 'cuz, I'll throw this in:

http://memrise.com

Great for learning foreign words.

Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 806
Points 12,855

John James:

In that vein, I recommend Jeff Tucker's books...

It's a Jetsons World

Bourbon for Breakfast

Good books!

If I had a cake and ate it, it can be concluded that I do not have it anymore. HHH

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS