Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

YouTube user stops posting due to "lifetime contract" with Machinima

rated by 0 users
This post has 12 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135
John James Posted: Thu, May 10 2012 9:38 PM

So this guy got over 30k subscribers and 5.2 million views since starting his channel about a year ago.  His "last youtube video" was on the YouTube main page, and it got me curious as to what it was all about.  So I found this blog post.

Makes for an interesting subject and raises more than a few questions...

YouTube User Breaks With YouTube to Break With Machinima

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 275
Points 4,000

Could he start an LLC, or Corporation, or DBA and put the videos under that name?

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

Apparently this is a pretty big deal to the gaming community.  This guy has over 600k subscribers and 330 million views...and apparently this episode has caused him to decide to leave Machinima:

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 197
Points 3,920
TheFinest replied on Thu, May 10 2012 9:59 PM

Holy Shit! I remember OneyNG parodying this kind of situation, but I always thought he was exaggerating for comedic effect....

welp.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135
John James replied on Thu, May 10 2012 10:08 PM

TheFinest:
Holy Shit! I remember OneyNG parodying this kind of situation, but I always thought he was exaggerating for comedic effect....

That was hilarous.  Actually did a better job of explaining than anything else i've found so far.  I love inside baseball.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,956
Points 56,800
bloomj31 replied on Fri, May 11 2012 10:30 AM

"In exchange for the consideration herein and Payments described further below, Director hereby grants exclusively to Machinima an irrevocable license in perpetuity, throughout the universe, in all forms of media now known or hereafter devised through any means of transmission now known or hereafter devised on any platforms now known or hereafter devised in and to any content created and/or owned by Director on the Director YouTube Properties; provided, however, that Director shall maintain the right to display the Director's content on Director's personal website and on other websites with the prior written approval of Machinima."

Serious Business.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,612
Points 29,515

This is the main argument Chomsky uses against contracts in a free society, right?  Idiots will sign things they do not understand then be locked into those terms no matter what.

"The Fed does not make predictions. It makes forecasts..." - Mustang19
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

Aristophanes:
no matter what.

So suppose you sign a contract aggreeing to dig a ditch for someone.  And then you decide you don't want to.  We're going to put puppet strings on your limbs and "make" you do it?  Nonsense.

Like most other things, Chomsky doesn't understand contracts in a consistant libertarian society.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,612
Points 29,515

So suppose you sign a contract aggreeing to dig a ditch for someone.  And then you decide you don't want to.  We're going to put puppet strings on your limbs and "make" you do it?  Nonsense.

This is one of the conflations Chomsky makes with the State enforcing those contracts.  And to be honest, I'm never sure whe nRothbard is in "free society" mode or "pragmatic power perspective" mode.

"The Fed does not make predictions. It makes forecasts..." - Mustang19
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,956
Points 56,800
bloomj31 replied on Fri, May 11 2012 4:23 PM

It's not even clear whether or not this particular contract would be enforced it's just that this guy says he can't afford a lawyer to find out so he's probably screwed.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 743
Points 11,795

lol in "perpetuity throughout the universe"- I almost feel like the guy who whipped that up didn't even take himself seriously. 

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,956
Points 56,800
bloomj31 replied on Fri, May 11 2012 6:48 PM

Yeah it sounds like some shit from Hitchhiker's Guide.  "Any means of transmission now known or hereafter devised."  LOL  EVEN IF THEY INVENT TELEPATH YOUTUBE WE STILL GOT YOU LOL.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

...signed,

Dick Faggotson,
Mashitima Inc.

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS