Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Ron Paul ends campaigning, but stays in the race for GOP nomination

This post has 66 Replies | 9 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

Clayton:
I actually agree with him.

I pretty much agree with what you said...he didn't say any of that.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,612
Points 29,515

http://fromviennawithlove.blogspot.fr/2012/05/debacle-summary.html

JJ, are you going to criticize any of those conspiracy theories???  They are all built on the same kind of circumstantial evidence mine was...

They gave my theory 20% weight..."the stick instead of the carrot."

The optimistic thing ran through my head too, but I came to about the same conclusion.  It is too "brilliant"; too good to be true.

As for the Romney offered him a deal thing...didn't Paul say that the ideaa that he would campaign like this just for a speech at the convention was "a little silly."

It looks like mine were the same thoughts about violence by the GOP at the convention by Lew Rockwell.

UPDATE from Chris Breaux

"I got almost the exact same warning from a local GOPer who is honestly afraid for my safety at the state and national conventions.  Thank you for this warning to my fellow Paul supporters."

virtually identical to my sentiment.

"http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/DC-Decoder/Decoder-Wire/2012/0516/Are-some-Ron-Paul-supporters-going-rogue"

This is my point on the GOP telling Paul what will go down if they decide to do this.

This also may explain why Paul has not said anything himself about it.  And I would even guess that Paul has held the whole time that if one of the stealth delegate coups turns violent, they call it off.

I will put this post in the new thread if a mod chooses to delete it from here.

"The Fed does not make predictions. It makes forecasts..." - Mustang19
Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 223
Points 5,335

Lots of confusion about this. If the point was to quell Romney supporters and give them false confidence, then that job is done. And given the strategy, it would make sense that they want to do this. Ron Paul has never contested the primary states. He didn't campaign in Florida. At this point, with Gingrich and Santorum out, and Romney with the money and media on his side, it would be a waste of resources to try to compete in primary states. The game has always been the delegates. From the beginning they have gone for caucus states and tried to get Paul supporters as delegates in primary states. Now we have absolutely no idea how good this strategy has been, and neither does the GOP. The only people who know are the Paul campaign. Could the campaign be conceeding majorities and trying to play nice again as part of this general strategy to give the GOP false calm about Paul being out? There is no doubt that the GOP is worried abot the delegates. After all, look at how they've been putting up a fight at these delegate selections. I have to wonder how well the Paul campaign is doing in primary states that would justify this strategy.

I guess we'll all be left is confusion until Florida. Damn dirty politics, that this is the only way that the message of liberty can get a voice without being absolutely quelched by the media.

Yes, I am a huge Dodgers fan.

Anti-state since I learned about the Cuban Revolution and why my dad had to flee the country.

Beer, Guns and Baseball My blog

Top 150 Contributor
Male
Posts 630
Points 9,425

Sounds like the media has purposely misinterpreted the words ending campaigning to mean ending the campaign. Which of course is a big mistake.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,612
Points 29,515

Benton should have been fired after Iowa.  I hated ... about everything he did.  Even his demeanor I didn't care for (at various interviews where he ended up on camera for whatever reason)  He was a prick, everyone knew it (it sounds like), and now he has sunk the campaign while making out like a bandit.  If he were my campaign manager and he screwed me over like this, I'd have him disappeared. 

But, for real, if I was Paul I'd be ruing the day that I hired that big headed idiot.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

Like I've been saying (and others have said) if Paul has one Achilles's heel it's that he surrounds himself with incompetent people...or at least ends up putting people in positions of influence within his circle that on net don't end up doing him any favors.

I think the piece in that link does a nice job going into this particular case of Benton.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,612
Points 29,515

Firing Jesse Benton is easier said than done for Ron Paul, since Benton is married to Paul's granddaughter, they have a long history together, and the campaign is in its last month or two.

BS.  He is a louse.  Paul should have more of a spine.  Rewarding incompetence is not what the market does...

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,612
Points 29,515

There seem to be more indications that the GOP told Paul that there will be drastic consequences for the Paul supporters if they went ahead with their plot.

“Jesse acknowledges we have stealth Ron Paul supporters among the Romney delegates,” wrote one supporter on the DailyPaul.com, whose cyber-handle is Bob-45. “He knows delegates can abstain or may even be unbound. This chops the legs off the Ron Paul campaign at a critical juncture. I no longer have any confidence in Jesse Benton; and, if Ron Paul keeps him after this, I will have lost a great deal of confidence in Ron Paul.”

Adam Kokesh, a radio host and head of Veterans for Ron Paul, went further in a web video this week, first reported by BuzzFeed, in which he said, “It’s been extremely disappointing to see that the official campaign — Jesse Benton, John Tate — have failed to contest this with the Republican Party. We didn’t come here to play nice.”

Kokesh, who the campaign was once close to but says it’s split from, urges Paulites to convince delegates to flip at the national convention.

Benton, on a conference call with reporters earlier this week, made it clear what a careful line the campaign is walking right now between sympathy for Paul’s supporters, who are part of the only movement that materialized this cycle on the Republican side in the presidential race, and deference to Romney.

What we learned this past weekend is that our supporters are going to get an excessive amount of blame for problems that arise in heated moments at conventions, and state conventions are in particular known for heated moments, and our supporters are going to get much more than they deserve when it comes to blame for any kind of [problems],” he said. “So, we’re going to emphasize that our people really need to emphasize respect and civility.”

Read more: http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0512/76505_Page2.html#ixzz1vMEXOm4o

Not Ranked
Posts 29
Points 440
Mens Rea replied on Fri, Jun 8 2012 12:53 AM

I didn't see this coming.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 366
Points 7,345

I didn't see this coming.

Autokylos, get in here and respond to this so I don't have to copy and paste your face-palm avatar as a response.

Latest Projects

"Even when leftists talk about discrimination and sexism, they're damn well talking about the results of the economic system" ~Neodoxy

• | Post Points: 50
Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,922
Points 79,590

Fephisto:
Autokylos, get in here and respond to this so I don't have to copy and paste your face-palm avatar as a response.

Hehehe. cheeky Well Captain Picard certainly does not approve:

Neither does Sheriff Bell:

What's ironic is that Campaign for Liberty had some videos which inserted clips of Ron and Rand Paul into clips of Star Trek: The Next Generation episodes. I think those videos should now be redone to show the Enterprise-D crew reacting negatively to Rand's endorsement of Romney. cheeky

The keyboard is mightier than the gun.

Non parit potestas ipsius auctoritatem.

Voluntaryism Forum

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,922
Points 79,590

Here are some more reactions to Rand Paul's endorsement of Romney:

The keyboard is mightier than the gun.

Non parit potestas ipsius auctoritatem.

Voluntaryism Forum

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 366
Points 7,345

Thanks Autokylos.

Latest Projects

"Even when leftists talk about discrimination and sexism, they're damn well talking about the results of the economic system" ~Neodoxy

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

Adam can't get over the fact that Ron Paul is not going to be President

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,612
Points 29,515

What has Alex Jones been saying about Ron Paul recently?

Kokesh is banned from the Paul-festivals.

The campaign does everything it can to piss me off.  Fuck the Paul movement.

I also just remembered that Kokesh also lost his show on RT because he was supportive of Ron Paul and some dumb hillbilly wrote a letter to the FEC saying Kokesh was a Russian propagandist and Paul a manchurian...Ron Paul's campaign cut communication after that because they were worried about a lawsuit.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,612
Points 29,515

RON PAUL

REPUBL - I - CAN

We Are the Future Rally

ahahahhahahahahhaahahah

What a clever banner.

Poor Ron?  I'm not sure if Ron is just being coy about doing the same thing Rand has done.

Hopefully you can see that video, it is live right now Ron is speaking.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,612
Points 29,515

Did Doug Wead make a joke about Ron Paul "leaving in a motorcade down elm street?"  That's...weird of him to say, no?  He was telling people to wave with signs...dark humor.

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,493
Points 39,355
Malachi replied on Sun, Aug 26 2012 5:20 PM
Perhaps I am particularly dense...whats weird about that? He's still a united states rep, he has a motorcade. You saw the security people right?
Keep the faith, Strannix. -Casey Ryback, Under Siege (Steven Seagal)
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,612
Points 29,515

John F. Kennedy was shot and killed while riding in an open limousine down Elm Street, near Dealey Plaza in Dallas, Texas.

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,493
Points 39,355
Malachi replied on Sun, Aug 26 2012 6:03 PM
"poor taste"? "not a joke?"
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 496
Points 8,945

What's Alex jones saying about paul?

Eat the apple, fuck the Corps. I don't work for you no more!
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,612
Points 29,515

It's not bad.  (Except the sound clip when Paul enters and exits makes me want to smash my head on the table.)

Lew Rockwell had the best speech today; "We don't want a seat at the table.  We want to knock the table over."

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,493
Points 39,355
Malachi replied on Sun, Aug 26 2012 8:09 PM
That "Ron Paul!" music is better proof that his campaign was co-opted than the behavior of jesse benton
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,612
Points 29,515

Both Rand and Ron said pretty good stuff.  I suppose this isn't at the actual RNC convention, but still.  It seems refreshing to hear these things being spoken about.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

Yes, this first one has already been posted twice, but it should be included here.

My Memories of Jesse Benton by Tom Woods

Tom Woods unloads on Jesse Benton and John Tate - Free Talk Live

And just in case you didn't catch this one...

Scandal! RevPac Founder Reveals Juicy Behind The Scenes Details

Page 2 of 2 (67 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS