Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

You may be a terrorist if ...

rated by 0 users
This post has 22 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 256
Points 5,630
Al_Gore the Idiot Posted: Thu, May 17 2012 8:47 AM

FBI's List of Potential Indicators of Terrorist Activities Related to Internet Café

• Are overly concerned about privacy, attempts to shield the screen from view of others
  • Always pay cash or use credit card(s) in different name(s)
  • Act nervous or suspicious behavior inconsistent with activities
  • Are observed switching SIM cards in cell phone or use of multiple cell phones
  • Travel illogical distance to use Internet Café
  • Evidence of a residential based internet provider (signs on to Comcast, AOL, etc.)
  • Use of anonymizers, portals, or other means to shield IP address
  • Suspicious communications using VOIP or communicating through a PC game

http://info.publicintelligence.net/FBI-SuspiciousActivity/Internet_Cafe.pdf

• | Post Points: 50
Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,922
Points 79,590
Autolykos replied on Thu, May 17 2012 8:48 AM

In other words, they want to track everyone who's trying to remain private online. Whodathunkit?

Now, granted, people who are up to no good would also try to remain private online, but how many actual terrorists are there compared to people who are just concerned about privacy?

The keyboard is mightier than the gun.

Non parit potestas ipsius auctoritatem.

Voluntaryism Forum

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,956
Points 56,800
bloomj31 replied on Thu, May 17 2012 10:27 AM

After looking at the entire pamphlet, one realizes there are many qualifiers sprinkled around the page:

" Each indictor listed above, is by itself, lawful conduct or behavior and may also constitute the exercise of rights guaranteed by the U.S. Constitution. In addition, there may be a wholly innocent explanation for conduct or behavior that appears suspicious in nature. For this reason, no single indicator should be the sole basis for law enforcement action. The totality of behavioral indicators and other relevant circumstances should be evaluated when considering any law enforcement response or action....

Some of the activities, taken individually, 
could be innocent and must be examined by 
law enforcement professionals in a larger 
context to determine whether there is a basis 
to investigate.  The activities outlined on this 
handout are by no means 
all-inclusive but have been compiled from a 
review of terrorist events over several years....

It is important to remember that just because someone’s speech, 
actions, beliefs, appearance, or way of life is different; it does not 
mean that he or she is suspicious."

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135
John James replied on Thu, May 17 2012 10:59 AM

This was well covered by InfoWars/PrisonPlanet...

Senate Moves To Allow Military To Intern Americans Without Trial

DHS Video (featuring John Elway) Portrays Average Americans As Terrorists

And parodied by Jones in one of his latest films:

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,922
Points 79,590
Autolykos replied on Thu, May 17 2012 11:00 AM

I haven't actually looked at the pamphlet yet, so I'm not sure how the different textual elements are laid out w.r.t. one another. But in fairness, many people overlook such qualifiers and jump to inaccurate conclusions (such as, "You'll be branded a terrorist if you care about internet privacy!").

Voluntaryism Forum

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,956
Points 56,800
bloomj31 replied on Thu, May 17 2012 11:02 AM

autolykos:
many people overlook such qualifiers and jump to inaccurate conclusions

lol yeah no kidding.

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,922
Points 79,590
Autolykos replied on Thu, May 17 2012 11:26 AM

Hey, I'm not saying I never do that. :P

Voluntaryism Forum

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 254
Points 5,500

The government is redefining everything these days, yet they keep the lawful consequences the same. Eventually, just like Big Brother, everybody will be considered a threat to the state merely by thinking individualistically or considering themselves to be independent from the collective. Dealing with statists is exactly like dealing with the Borg...except our statists don't have electronic equipment surgically implanted in their bodies as far as we know. I think it'd be more likely that they would be reptilians.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135
John James replied on Thu, May 17 2012 12:04 PM

I posted the link to the infowars article here, but it seems like it may be helpful to embed this video.  I don't care what kind of "concessions" or "qualifiers" you might find in some fine print of a pamphlet.  You watch this and tell me the conclusions about the aire surrounding this issue are inaccurate.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,956
Points 56,800
bloomj31 replied on Thu, May 17 2012 12:24 PM

Ok I watched it.

The video doesn't say that any of these behaviors are necessarily criminal in nature.  They simply say that these sorts of behaviors are things to look out for.  They also don't tell civilians to try to stop or apprehend people they might find suspicious.

They're merely asking them to report any suspicious activity to this hotline.

Police will then be called on to determine whether or not there is probable cause to believe that potentially illegal activity is being committed.  The police could then theoretically detain someone but that doesn't mean that they will necessarily detain someone without probable cause.

I mean really I don't see the problem at all.  No one is necessarily guilty of anything for doing any of these things mentioned in the video.  There is no presumption of guilt and there is no call to violate rights of due process.

What's the issue here?

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135
John James replied on Thu, May 17 2012 12:48 PM

bloomj31:
The video doesn't say that any of these behaviors are necessarily criminal in nature.  They simply say that these sorts of behaviors are things to look out for.  [...] They're merely asking them to report any suspicious activity to this hotline.

Oh well in that case.  No trouble there.  Can't see how that could become a problem for anyone (or useful for a tyrannical state looking to gain more control over a populace).

Police will then be called on to determine whether or not there is probable cause to believe that potentially illegal activity is being committed.  The police could then theoretically detain someone but that doesn't mean that they will necessarily detain someone without probable cause.

Ah yes.  Great use of public money and resources.  Investigating people who seem to want privacy when on their computer and then use cash when they go to the counter to buy their coffee.  Also no potential abuse issues here either.  This is just for bad guys.  It'll make us all safer.

I mean really I don't see the problem at all.

That's too bad.

No one is necessarily guilty of anything for doing any of these things mentioned in the video.

According to what...

God, the law, the courts, or the cop tazing you into submission?

There is no presumption of guilt and there is no call to violate rights of due process.

Are you really this naive?

What's the issue here?

You really don't see any parallel?

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,956
Points 56,800
bloomj31 replied on Thu, May 17 2012 12:51 PM

Where in the video does it say: if you see people doing x they are automatically guilty of y?

It simply says that if you see someone doing x they may be guilty of y, you can't be sure, call this hotline and we'll check it out for you.  That's it.

You're being paranoid.

Also this particular video makes no mention of anyone seeking privacy on a computer or trying to buy coffee with cash that was in the OP's pamphlet.  The pamphlet also clearly states that none of the behaviors mentioned are automatically illegal, they're just stuff to look out for.  That's it.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

bloomj31:
Where in the video does it say: if you see people doing x they are automatically guilty of y?

Where in the government promotion of the NDAA does it say "the military can act as a domestic police force, apprehending American citizens charged with no crime, whisking them off to undisclosed locations, holding them indefinitely, without attorney, or trial, and the President can order assassination of American citizens with virtually no oversight, no involvement of a judge or presentation of any evidence of wrongdoing"?

Just because certain things aren't said outright in a propaganda video, it doesn't mean they don't/won't happen.

I honestly can't believe you're this naive.

It simply says that if you see someone doing x they may be guilty of y, you can't be sure, call this hotline and we'll check it out for you.  That's it.

Great.  Big brother is my friend and is only there to help me and protect me.  S'all good.  I actually feel safer knowing everyone is spying for my safety.

You're being paranoid.

You're being naive.

Also, this particular video makes no mention of anyone seeking privacy on a computer of trying to buy coffee with cash, did you even watch your own video?

Yes.  Multiple times.  It was just an example.  As was the mention of privacy and cash.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,956
Points 56,800
bloomj31 replied on Thu, May 17 2012 1:33 PM

No one's being told to spy on anyone in private places.  They're just being told to keep an eye out for possible suspicious behavior in public places.  Frankly these are things that people can already do, they're just being instructed about a process here.

They're being explicitly told that even if they see something that they might find suspicious to just call it in, not to take justice into their own hands, not to follow people and survey them.

They're also being told very explicitly that none of these behaviors are automatically illegal.  They're being told to try to consider the totality of the circumstances, the context of behavior in the pamphlet before even considering reporting anything.  They're being asked to be slightly more aware in the video but the video is still very clear that none of the examples given are automatically illegal.  No one is talking about ignoring due process rights.

You're merely speculating that a police investigation pursuant to an anonymous tip about suspicious behavior could lead to an indefinite detention or an executive order assassination.  Ofcourse I suppose that's theoretically possible but that doesn't mean it will happen.  Neither the video nor the pamphlet state that the purpose of these resources is to provide potential targets for indefinite detention or executive order assassination.  It's tenuous at best.

I don't think I'm being naive, I think I'm being logical.  I'm investigating the resources and being careful about drawing too many conclusions.  You're being irrational and paranoid, you're letting your fear of the government override your critical thinking skills.

EDIT: Now I'm not saying that there isn't potential for abuse here.  Ofcourse there is.  But just based on what's being presented here I'd say that the government is making a real effort to avoid abuse.  If someone watches one of these videos or reads one of these pamphlets and interprets them to mean that the government wants them to actively spy on people then that's on them, I didn't interpret the message that way at all.

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 256
Points 5,630

Also, a list of 24 other flyers produced by the FBI aimed at various other types of businesses such as farm supply stores, hobby shops, hotels/motels, martial arts, tattoo shops, etc:

http://publicintelligence.net/fbi-suspicious-activity-reporting-flyers/

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 743
Points 11,795

In New York every single subway line already repeats this same line over and over "If you see a suspicious package or activity, do not keep it to yourself. Tell the Police or an MTA employee. Remain alert and have a safe day", and of course its repeated so much that everyone just ignores it now. As if it was possible for anyone to prevent anything at all by telling an MTA employee or somehow trying to get the police to arrive.  Its an absolute dumb waste of resources- kind of like how the NYPD checks peoples bags for "explosives" in rush hour before they head into the subway train. How about fighting crime in bad neighborhoods or something- the biggest police force ever is unbelievably wasteful. 

All this stuff is in a similar vein- a waste of money and time to even print flyers like this. 

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

You think cops have any interest in actually fighting actual crime?  Especially when they can hang out and get their power trip by playing authoritarian with a bunch of harmless yuppies who pose no threat to them whatsoever?

And I wouldn't underestimate the power of repitition, either.

Top 150 Contributor
Male
Posts 630
Points 9,425

You are a terrorist if you are against the state. If you are on the side of the state then you are a freedom fighter.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

If a firefighter fights fire, and a crimefighter fights crime...what does a freedomfighter fight?

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,612
Points 29,515

I thought we'd gone over this...

If you are politically acitve and non a Dem or Rep, then you are either a terrorist or an anarchist.

Exhange in silver?  Don't care about football?  Your are a terrorist.

Converse with people outside of normal social confort zones?  You are a terrorist.

Think war isn't the answer?  Read?  You are an anarchist.

Think political leadership is not always benevolent?  You are a terrorist.

Want to live your own life?  You are both.

Suspicious communications using VOIP or communicating through a PC game

How are they going to monitor PC game communication?

"The Fed does not make predictions. It makes forecasts..." - Mustang19
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 743
Points 11,795

How are they going to monitor PC game communication?

Hire more useless people to play videogames and listen in on possible threatening conversation like "Die die die".  Can't put anything past any government especially when I read about the news story of undercover NYPD joining Muslim student associations on rafting and paintball trips. 

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,679
Points 45,110
gotlucky replied on Thu, May 17 2012 11:02 PM

John James:

If a firefighter fights fire, and a crimefighter fights crime...what does a freedomfighter fight?

Freedom!

Page 1 of 1 (23 items) | RSS