Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Economics as a subset of biology

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 3 Replies | 2 Followers

Not Ranked
3 Posts
Points 60
bugmenot posted on Sat, May 19 2012 3:50 PM

I'm curious about the understanding of economics as a subset of biology.

I'd like to read about the basis of economics starting from as low as posible, from unicelular life if posible, or at least analysis of economic activity on animals considering thinks like value, incentives, resources like food, and services like protection, sex, recolection of food, etc.

Any links, articles, book recomendations would we welcomed.

• | Post Points: 35

All Replies

Top 25 Contributor
Male
4,249 Posts
Points 70,775

Mises talks a bit about it. He says humans are different from other living beings in two ways.

First. they have intelligence. The can make plans, as opposed to just reacting instinctively. This makes studying them that much more interesting, and makes some results that apply to animals inapplicable to people.

Second, they can help each other. For animals, each giraffe, say, on the planet means another mouth to feed, leaving that much less for every other girrafe. People, on the other hand, can do division of labor, which increases the supply of things for everyone. 

My humble blog

It's easy to refute an argument if you first misrepresent it. William Keizer

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
6,953 Posts
Points 118,135

Matt Ridley goes into the comparison of humans and other species here..

And the science of economics is taken to its base in:

The Ultimate Foundation of Economic Science

Human Action

Economic Science and the Austrian Method

• | Post Points: 5
Top 200 Contributor
391 Posts
Points 6,975

Huh. One of my Professors actually dabbles on this topic, and he has sympathies for the Austrian tradition as well. I recommend the Journal of Bioeconomics if you're interested for more on the subject. 

http://www.csun.edu/~hceco001/GiffordResearch.htm

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS