Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

If you believe the US went bankrupt by going off the gold standard

rated by 0 users
This post has 6 Replies | 4 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 256
Points 5,630
Al_Gore the Idiot Posted: Sun, May 20 2012 5:01 PM

... then the FBI may consider you an extremist.

"Anti-government extremists opposed to taxes and regulations pose a growing threat to local law enforcement officers in the United States, the FBI warned on Monday.

These extremists, sometimes known as "sovereign citizens," believe they can live outside any type of government authority, FBI agents said at a news conference."

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/02/07/us-usa-fbi-extremists-idUSTRE81600V20120207

• | Post Points: 50
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,612
Points 29,515

believe they can live outside any type of government authority

That is the funny part to me.

"The Fed does not make predictions. It makes forecasts..." - Mustang19
  • | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 254
Points 5,500

Al_Gore the Idiot:

... then the FBI may consider you an extremist.

"Anti-government extremists opposed to taxes and regulations pose a growing threat to local law enforcement officers in the United States, the FBI warned on Monday.

These extremists, sometimes known as "sovereign citizens," believe they can live outside any type of government authority, FBI agents said at a news conference."

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/02/07/us-usa-fbi-extremists-idUSTRE81600V20120207

I remember reading about Sovereign Citizens. They renounce all state laws and essentially become stateless. They make a big deal about it because one guy freaked out after having been pulled over and got in a shootout or something. That's a huge jump, though, to consider people Sovereign Citizens only because they oppose taxes and regulations. Regardless, even if they did consider themselves Sovereign Citizens, it doesn't warrant the the gov to call them extremists. I regularly distrust Muslims, for instance, and I keep a close eye on them, but I don't consider all people extremists simply because they're Muslim. Hope that latter doesn't "hijack" your thread mate. hah hah get it? 

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,679
Points 45,110
gotlucky replied on Sun, May 20 2012 5:38 PM

Yeah, if they think in this day and age they can live without the US state stealing from them, they are nuts!

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 43
Points 875
Rorschach replied on Sun, May 20 2012 7:03 PM

The extremists may refuse to pay taxes, defy government environmental regulations and believe the United States went bankrupt by going off the gold standard.

Do they have to do all three or is Tim Geithner an extremist?

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 256
Points 5,630

I regularly distrust Muslims, for instance, and I keep a close eye on them, but I don't consider all people extremists simply because they're Muslim.

What is it about Muslims that you fear? As an American, I have toured the Middle for 5 months (last year). That includes countries such as Syria, Lebanon, and Egypt. I encountered absolutely no problems because of my background. I have not encountered any of the violence, let alone terrorist attacks, that pervades the evening news. The people were as friendly as they could be, regularly inviting me to their homes for meals or tea. The streets of Cairo, Damascus, and Beirut were among the safest of any big cities that I've toured. You can walk anywhere at night with no worries of being mugged or robbed. The same thing can't be said for back home. As for their "hatred of America", I've met far more Europeans during my travel who dispised the US than Muslims.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 743
Points 11,795

Perhaps its because some Muslims came up to him on the street and told him to grow a beard or they'll use a branding iron to put some arabic on his forehead. If that happened to me I'd probably be weary of them "muzzies", as he puts it, as well. 

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS