Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Occupations?

rated by 0 users
This post has 52 Replies | 10 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 254
Points 5,500
triknighted Posted: Sun, May 20 2012 6:58 PM
  • | Post Points: 80
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 254
Points 5,500

Curious: without listing specifics like company names and locations, what kind of work does everyone do? Being new to the forums, I'm wanting to get to know the regulars on here a bit better. I, for one, am getting my Ph.D. and teach on the side.

• | Post Points: 170
Not Ranked
Male
Posts 69
Points 1,600

Studying Computer Science. I work at my dad's factory during the holidays.

Taking a year out to work in industry, though. I'm up to the final stage for a job at HSBC in Hong Kong. Tried looking for jobs in the US (I'm British), but the legal costs for employers are just too high for someone like me (incomplete degree, little experience).

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,922
Points 79,590
Autolykos replied on Mon, May 21 2012 7:47 AM

I work as a software engineer.

The keyboard is mightier than the gun.

Non parit potestas ipsius auctoritatem.

Voluntaryism Forum

• | Post Points: 20
Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 508
Points 8,570

Geologist in environmental consulting

Hopefully not for too much longer because I hate this industry, haha.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 539
Points 11,275

Unemployed unfortunately, but previous work ranges from being a cinema projectionist to a barman. I recently completed a qualification in electronic and control engineering and so hopefully will get work in that area.

Top 150 Contributor
Male
Posts 653
Points 13,185

I work for a pharmacy GPO.  Basically, we write contracts with drug wholesalers so that small independent pharmacies can purchase drugs at lower costs.  Economies of scale in action.

I also get to see some of the legislative / lobbying side of the biz, which is pretty crazy.

they said we would have an unfair fun advantage

"enough about human rights. what about whale rights?" -moondog
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 151
Points 2,705

Budget analyst.

Guess you can say studying how people manage their resources generally interests me. :)

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 119
Points 1,600

Medical Device [hardware] Engineer

" ‘Bread and Circuses’ is the cancer of democracy, the fatal disease for which there is no cure. “
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 6,885
Points 121,845
Clayton replied on Mon, May 21 2012 1:38 PM

Day job: Computer engineer.

My pet project: Babel. I'm planning to launch a website for it this summer. I'd like to book a slot at Emerging Languages 2013.

Clayton -

http://voluntaryistreader.wordpress.com
Not Ranked
Posts 77
Points 1,150

Studying a PhD (full tuition scholarlship + stipend) in electrical engineering. Previously I was working as a statistician vis a vis data analyst.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 150 Contributor
Male
Posts 630
Points 9,425

IT sysadmin/consultant

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 539
Points 11,275

So mises.org is quite a middle class affair then,

• | Post Points: 50
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 6,885
Points 121,845
Clayton replied on Mon, May 21 2012 6:28 PM

@Consumariat: Oh no, we're all independently wealthy and we only want lower taxes because we're so rich.

Clayton -

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 3,055
Points 41,895

I unpredictably turned into an independent screenwriter and coder.

Oh no, we're all independently wealthy and we only want lower taxes because we're so rich.

To be honest, I aim to be rich.  Get rich or die trying.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 254
Points 5,500

Consumariat:

I'm surprised at how many computer people and engineers there are. Many of the engineers I've known were diagnosed with Asperger's, from what they told me. Then again, I don't know many engineers. Anybody on here diagnosed with AS?

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,389
Points 21,840

Medic, though I am working for my PA in ER medicine

"As in a kaleidoscope, the constellation of forces operating in the system as a whole is ever changing." - Ludwig Lachmann

"When A Man Dies A World Goes Out of Existence"  - GLS Shackle

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,389
Points 21,840

Knock it off, you're being silly. 

"As in a kaleidoscope, the constellation of forces operating in the system as a whole is ever changing." - Ludwig Lachmann

"When A Man Dies A World Goes Out of Existence"  - GLS Shackle

Top 75 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,018
Points 17,760

i'm interested in computers too, but im only in high school.

all ive done is learned basic c++ and built my own computer

thats not much with the advent of the internet

“Since people are concerned that ‘X’ will not be provided, ‘X’ will naturally be provided by those who are concerned by its absence."
"The sweetest of minds can harbor the harshest of men.”

http://voluntaryistreader.wordpress.org

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 6,885
Points 121,845
Clayton replied on Tue, May 22 2012 12:12 AM

@kelvin: Just keep at it. You should learn one of each from the following categories:

- Scripting: Perl, Python or Ruby

- Web pages: PHP, ASP, CSS

- Browser plugin: Java, Flash

- Rigorous: Lisp, Forth or (my language!) Babel

There are, of course, many more languages. I recommend you browse Rosetta Code to get a feel for the kinds of languages that are out there. When you learn one language, you learn many others that are in a similar class. For example, if you learn Perl you kind of know Python and Ruby (or vice-versa) because they all have a lot of the same features, even if they are presented in slightly different form. I recommend playing around with Lisp even though it's not much used in industry because languages will continue to evolve toward Lisp for the foreseeable future.

Don't worry about how "good" you are. Remember that programming is a human activity - as one lecturer I recently listened to put it: Computation is cheap... the most expensive component of software is you, the programmer.

Clayton -

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 5,118
Points 87,310
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator
DanielMuff replied on Tue, May 22 2012 12:46 AM

I sell stuff on the Internet.

To paraphrase Marc Faber: We're all doomed, but that doesn't mean that we can't make money in the process.
Rabbi Lapin: "Let's make bricks!"
Stephan Kinsella: "Say you and I both want to make a German chocolate cake."

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 5,118
Points 87,310
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator
DanielMuff replied on Tue, May 22 2012 12:49 AM

triknighted:

Consumariat:

I'm surprised at how many computer people and engineers there are. Many of the engineers I've known were diagnosed with Asperger's, from what they told me. Then again, I don't know many engineers. Anybody on here diagnosed with AS?

I'll tell you what, info. sys./computer science majors have a higher precentage of having girlfriends than do finance majors.

To paraphrase Marc Faber: We're all doomed, but that doesn't mean that we can't make money in the process.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 985
Points 21,180
hashem replied on Tue, May 22 2012 1:09 AM

You could say I'm a drug dealer, for the government. I work in a pharmacy. Everything to do with this business is entirely corrupt and backwards and very representative of the irony and inconsistencies and pain associated with government intervention. You should see the people the government has got addicted to outrageous hardcore drugs and there's nothing we can do when they run out for any number of reasons and have to go through withdrawal, some drugs carry a legitimate risk of completely losing your sanity mind else death if you experience withdrawl, and I've had to turn some of those people away. Don't do methamphetamine, but it's great to give your kids adderall. Don't do heroin, but oxycodone jello shots and fentanyl lollipops are perfectly reasonable. And the ultimate inconsistency, which anyone should oppose government regulation of drugs after learning: you can't buy alcohol unless you have a government license and you're over 21 and you buy it in person, but you can pick up ANYONE'S drugs, regardless of the potency, without ID or anything other than money if you just know their name and birthdate: "Hi, I'm here to pick up X's Y." "OK, one sec." And then there's the drugs themselves, which are so often ridiculously mind altering and far worse than marijuana or heroin or cocaine to begin with (which is kinda the point, because the more problems you have the more problems the "healthcare" industry can "fix").

And I could go on about the revolving door in this industry, the kickbacks/comissions/promotions whatever you wanna call them, and the drugs which are prohibited from being manufactured, and the supposed efficacy of generics (and obviously the alleged efficacy of the originals), or injections, or the fact that pharmacists can give injections with no phlebotomist license etc etc etc etc etc.

If you want your kids to never do drugs and to despise government, just teach them basic logic then let them loose to work in a pharmacy.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect. —Mark Twain
Not Ranked
Posts 13
Points 290

lol

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,490
Wheylous replied on Wed, Jul 25 2012 1:09 PM

I'm a little late to the party but I just finished high school and I will be studying computer science in college. I'm not sure whether to also major in math or Econ...

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 183
Points 3,740

Ph.D in what? And late as well, but I'm studying economics now and planning to get in finance. 

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 5,118
Points 87,310
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

I have no life, except for going to school during the week and partying during the weekend.

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 183
Points 3,740

what do you sell on the internet?

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 5,118
Points 87,310
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

Clothing.

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 183
Points 3,740

Like custom made shirts?

Not Ranked
Male
Posts 4
Points 65

Computer Science student

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 5,118
Points 87,310
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

Nope.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,490
Wheylous replied on Wed, Jul 25 2012 8:50 PM

I'm digging the CS pattern/stereotype.

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 183
Points 3,740

What kind of clothing? 

I'm surprised so many of you are into computers.

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 421
Points 7,165

I am just a full-time production worker at a machine shop and a part-time farmer.

The only one worth following is the one who leads... not the one who pulls; for it is not the direction that condemns the puller, it is the rope that he holds.

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,439
Points 44,650
Neodoxy replied on Wed, Jul 25 2012 11:20 PM

^

So you're looking forward to the rise of the proletariat right?

I'm an Econ student

At last those coming came and they never looked back With blinding stars in their eyes but all they saw was black...
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 421
Points 7,165

Haha, I'm more concerned with the spread of the philosophy of liberty. I guess I look forward to the rise of man to cast of chains he didn't know he could live without. (;

The only one worth following is the one who leads... not the one who pulls; for it is not the direction that condemns the puller, it is the rope that he holds.

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,439
Points 44,650
Neodoxy replied on Thu, Jul 26 2012 1:32 AM

Oh you class traitor dog you!

At last those coming came and they never looked back With blinding stars in their eyes but all they saw was black...
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 260
Points 4,015

Art History degree (useless), actual career: medical billing in a DME/Oxygen supply company.  We deliver medical equipment and O2 to patients in the home. 

I'm not surprised there are so many computery people here.  Doesn't programming require studying some areas of logic?

Not Ranked
Posts 81
Points 1,135

Construction Labor. Knock it down, clean it up. I enjoy it as I'm paid to work out and tan. I have a semester left for my associates degree, aka diploma 2.0, which will not do much for me except stroke my ego.

Page 1 of 2 (53 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS