Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Achilles and the Tortoise

Answered (Not Verified) This post has 0 verified answers | 213 Replies | 7 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
254 Posts
Points 5,500
triknighted posted on Mon, May 21 2012 8:22 AM
  • | Post Points: 215

All Replies

Top 25 Contributor
Male
4,922 Posts
Points 79,590

I understand that already, Dave, but thanks. Did what I said make any sense?

The keyboard is mightier than the gun.

Non parit potestas ipsius auctoritatem.

Voluntaryism Forum

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
254 Posts
Points 5,500

Smiling Dave:

Autolykos,

The right Math course answers all your q's. They have been chewed over by great minds, and they came up with answers.

But it doesn't matter who says what when reason is the key to understanding and knowledge. Albert Einstein could have said 6+1=10 and guess what, he's wrong no matter how you slice it.

Aristotle was brilliant in determining the elements of rhetoric in argumentation: ethos, pathos and logos. When seeking truth, though, as I believe our mission as philosophers ought to be at all times, logos is all that matters. One can always question credibility and emotion. Take my above equation. No matter who says 6+1=10, no matter how many guns are pointed at you forcing you to agree that 6+1=10, 6+1 will never be 10, and we know this because of logos.  

I believe a sufficient refutation of Zeno's aforementioned paradox is that mathematics is incorporeal and completely subjective. While brilliant things can be accomplished by using it, there will never be anything amounting to a number in nature. In essence, Plato was wrong.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Male
4,922 Posts
Points 79,590

triknighted:
Aristotle was brilliant in determining the elements of rhetoric in argumentation: ethos, pathos and logos. When seeking truth, though, as I believe our mission as philosophers ought to be at all times, logos is all that matters. One can always question credibility and emotion. Take my above equation. No matter who says 6+1=10, no matter how many guns are pointed at you forcing you to agree that 6+1=10, 6+1 will never be 10, and we know this because of logos.

You're talking about base-10 notation, right? Because 6+1=10 in base-7 notation. cheeky

The keyboard is mightier than the gun.

Non parit potestas ipsius auctoritatem.

Voluntaryism Forum

Top 25 Contributor
Male
4,249 Posts
Points 70,775

triknighted,

You seem to think I was appealing to authority in what I wrote to Autolykos. No. I was recommending he peruse their works, as taught in sophomore or junior year of university math. \\

When your refutation of Zeno's paradox is that math is incorporeal and completely subjective, you throw out the baby with the bath. It's like solving a chess problem by overturning the board.

My humble blog

It's easy to refute an argument if you first misrepresent it. William Keizer

Top 500 Contributor
254 Posts
Points 5,500

Autolykos:

triknighted:

You're talking about base-10 notation, right? Because 6+1=10 in base-7 notation. cheeky

Hah hah ok I have no idea, not a math wiz. How about the classic 1984 example of 2+2=5? I think you know what I meant though mate, good one though.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
254 Posts
Points 5,500

Smiling Dave:

When your refutation of Zeno's paradox is that math is incorporeal and completely subjective, you throw out the baby with the bath. It's like solving a chess problem by overturning the board.

blush How exactly?

Top 500 Contributor
274 Posts
Points 5,675

Well, you could simply say that in terms of steps taken, Achilles makes far more in the same amount of time passed. If you slow down time enough (like, to milliseconds or nanoseconds), you can simply state that Achilles is making up the distance in the brief period where the tortoise isn`t moving or is about to move. Hence, he overtakes it while it isn`t moving.

Top 25 Contributor
Male
4,249 Posts
Points 70,775

Because it throws out all of the accomplishments of civilization that are based upon Mathematics.

My humble blog

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Male
4,249 Posts
Points 70,775

Autolykos,

It might make sense, but it is not the direction humanity has taken ever since Euclid. I think it behooves us to find an answer to Zeno's Paradox consistent with a few millenia of the universal thinking of the mathematical and scientific community.

My humble blog

Top 100 Contributor
Male
814 Posts
Points 14,875
Suggested by AJ

Smiling Dave:

Slicing into infinity has been clearly defined. It does not imply that there is nothing in reality itself, only that a single point in space has no dimension. Existing and having a dimension are not the same thing.

So a point can have no length, height or depth yet exist? If I told you I had a burger which had no beef, no bun and no cheese you would say I have no burger. We commonly call such things as non-existent, the same goes for the point. Unless you argue that the point in question exists as an abstract object then fine but then it is not immediately clear how abstract objects relate to the physical universe in question.

I really don't care whether something has been "universally accepted" for thousands of years. If it is false, it is false. It may be the case that assuming infinite divisibility has been useful for practical problems.

The atoms tell the atoms so, for I never was or will but atoms forevermore be.

Yours sincerely,

Physiocrat

Top 100 Contributor
Male
814 Posts
Points 14,875

Mr Buddy:

Well, you could simply say that in terms of steps taken, Achilles makes far more in the same amount of time passed. If you slow down time enough (like, to milliseconds or nanoseconds), you can simply state that Achilles is making up the distance in the brief period where the tortoise isn`t moving or is about to move. Hence, he overtakes it while it isn`t moving.

QFT.

At last some one else who can have a fresh look at a problem.

Yours sincerely,

Physiocrat

Top 25 Contributor
Male
4,249 Posts
Points 70,775

If I told you I had a burger which had no beef...

Space and time are different, being intangibles. Even a cubic foot of space and an hour of time have no beef, no bun, and no cheese. So the poor point is not to be picked on and bullied out of existence because of that.

I really don't care whether something has been "universally accepted" for thousands of years. If it is false, it is false.

The question is, does Zeno's Paradox [or anything else] prove it is false, or is there a way of resolving the paradox.

It may be the case that assuming infinite divisibility has been useful for practical problems.

Geometry and the underlying mathematical assumptions of physics [aka calculus] are also studied as logical systems independent of reality. Like everyone assumes 2+2=4 and the other theorems of arithmetic are true independent of the existence of apples and pears. Mathemeticians would have to abandon Geometry and Calculus, or at least spend many sleepless nights, if they proved to contain a paradox.

My humble blog

Top 25 Contributor
Male
4,249 Posts
Points 70,775

Well, you could simply say that in terms of steps taken, Achilles makes far more in the same amount of time passed.

Nobody denies this. Zeno's Paradox is not resolved by this assumption.

Achilles is making up the distance in the brief period where the tortoise isn`t moving or is about to move.

The tortoise is assumed to be travelling at a constant velocity [as is Achilles, though Achilles is faster]. Implicit in that assumption is that in any interval of time, the tortoise has moven some distance, however small. He never "isn't moving" or "about to move". We are not talking about some lazy tortoise or donkey who slacks off every once in a while.

My humble blog

Top 100 Contributor
Male
814 Posts
Points 14,875

Smiling Dave:

Space and time are different, being intangibles. Even a cubic foot of space and an hour of time have no beef, no bun, and no cheese. So the poor point is not to be picked on and bullied out of existence because of that.

I agree that space and time are different in that they are not matter. In fact all three are needed. Matter to move, space to move through and time to allow it to move.

Is the point matter, space or time?

Yours sincerely,

Physiocrat

Top 100 Contributor
Male
814 Posts
Points 14,875

Smiling Dave:

The tortoise is assumed to be travelling at a constant velocity [as is Achilles, though Achilles is faster]. Implicit in that assumption is that in any interval of time, the tortoise has moven some distance, however small. He never "isn't moving" or "about to move". We are not talking about some lazy tortoise or donkey who slacks off every once in a while.

That misunderstands the point: if space is discrete then when something is moving it is always moving little bits at a time and if between two atomic seconds (defined here as the basic units of time) any object that appears to move is in fact stationary unless it is at literal maximum speed i.e. moving between two atomic blocks of space in two atomic seconds.

Yours sincerely,

Physiocrat

Page 2 of 15 (214 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS