Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Your laugh of the week: "Should football be banned" debate

rated by 0 users
This post has 9 Replies | 4 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135
John James Posted: Mon, May 21 2012 3:01 PM

Feel free to thank me

And out of all the possible guffaws in this, you get one more from the fact that the best argument in the whole thing comes from a washed up football player (who's probably had tons of the concussions Gladwell spends all his time droning on about in the beginning. )

Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 806
Points 12,855

I'm glad. This is a debate we should be having- why is no one talking about this?

In all seriousness, is this "laugh of the week" going to become a thing? That would be pleasant.

If I had a cake and ate it, it can be concluded that I do not have it anymore. HHH

• | Post Points: 5
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 462
Points 9,480
mustang19 replied on Mon, May 21 2012 3:12 PM

lol @ the butthurt college president who wants to molest children. The guy who came after him didn't make much sense either, though.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 254
Points 5,500

John James:

Feel free to thank me

view: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WX5iPcwpOHU

And out of all the possible guffaws in this, you get one more from the fact that the best argument in the whole thing comes from a washed up football player (who's probably had tons of the concussions Gladwell spends all his time droning on about in the beginning. )

The one black dude started out making sense (aside from his mention of democracy being American), but then the reasons for his stance that football should not be tampered with were disgusting. He spoke of capitalism as though it's a bad thing! Then he said Ronald McDonald. . . ? Pathetic.

What hacks.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 429
Points 7,400

What do you expect from a sports writer? They can barely write competently about sports, much less give us some kind of useful analysis of our economic institutions. 

Btw, the black dude knows from first hand experience the damage McDonald's has done to America; he's an example of it ;)

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

All of their arguments are nonsense.  That's what made it so funny.  It's like watching a bunch of children.

Gladwell, the in some aspects intelligent writer says "It's physically dangerous!  Ban it!"

The white defensive end says "It teaches determination and steadfastness!  Keep it!"

The author of a football book (who apparently hates football) says "The amount of money coaches make is insulting! BAN IT!"

The sportswriter says "Hey, football's as American as democracy, capitalism and Ronald McDonald.  Are you gonna deny an essence of America?  You may as well keep it."

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,956
Points 56,800
bloomj31 replied on Tue, May 22 2012 12:40 PM

Who is even in the position to ban football?  It's such a popular sport.

I can only imagine the public outrage that would follow if a state started talking about banning college football particularly in a state where people just love their college football.

It also occurs to me that sports like Boxing and MMA could be considered quite dangerous, would they want to ban those too?

• | Post Points: 50
Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 3,055
Points 41,895

Who is even in the position to ban football?

I don't know.  But, if there is such a person, let the wedgies commence.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,612
Points 29,515

I wouldn't mind if they privatized football stadiums...............................in cities/states and colleges.

"The Fed does not make predictions. It makes forecasts..." - Mustang19
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 254
Points 5,500

bloomj31:

Who is even in the position to ban football?  It's such a popular sport.

I can only imagine the public outrage that would follow if a state started talking about banning college football particularly in a state where people just love their college football.

It also occurs to me that sports like Boxing and MMA could be considered quite dangerous, would they want to ban those too?

Oh God, don't give them any ideas. They won't stop there. With the seatbelt laws alone, next they say if we don't wear knee pads and a helmet while walking out in our own back yards that we're breaking the law. Then they'll beat us with batons to save us from ourselves.

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS