Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Homesteading for fortifications and land mines

rated by 0 users
This post has 4 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 850
Points 27,940
Eugene Posted: Sun, May 27 2012 9:15 AM

The main presidential candidate of Egypt threatens to kill many Jews and conquer Jerusalem.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QI3wG3loKlA

This is quite scary. So in Israel people consider creating a chain of fortifications in the Israeli-Egyptian border that will include land mines, anti tank missles and other obstacles in order to defend against Egyptian army (which is huge by the way and receieved a lot of American aid).

The question is do you think its legitimate to create a line of fortifications along the border? Can you homestead land for this purpose? What about the local Bedouins? This might interfer with their freedom of movement. What to do? 

Thanks.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 850
Points 27,940
Eugene replied on Mon, May 28 2012 1:13 PM

Anyone?

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 814
Points 16,290

If it's not their side of the border, then they don't have the right to set landmines on it, but nothing can be legitimately owned by a state.

Top 150 Contributor
Male
Posts 630
Points 9,425

What a good example of the power of manipulation through religious and political means.

To also point out that because some one says something in front of large group of people, does not necessarily mean that everyone in the crowd supports what was said. Look at some of Obama's speeches, at times I wonder if he could say next to anything and get a clap and scream from the crowd. It could be said under false pretenses. I am not trying to make excuses for it, as there was obviously people singing a long to what translated as very aggressive language. This sort of a speech will obviously have an influential impression on the people listening. I am disappointed in Egypt and the Arabs to be honest.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 470
Points 7,025
Vitor replied on Mon, May 28 2012 2:12 PM

I don't know what is lamer, Argentina obsession with the Falklands or radical muslims with Jerusalem.

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS