Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Is it possible to measure the demand for money, even approximately?

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 4 Replies | 3 Followers

Not Ranked
Male
58 Posts
Points 2,060
tcostel posted on Sun, May 27 2012 9:38 PM

Or even to ordinally measure if demand for money is increasing or decreasing?

Prices are effected both by the supply and demand of money. The supply of money can be measured. But how is one to gauge the demand of money? For if the demand for money rises as the supply of money rises, prices would not rise as much had demand remained constant.

All Replies

Top 100 Contributor
Male
792 Posts
Points 13,825

How would you gauge the demand for any good?

faber est suae quisque fortunae

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
2,258 Posts
Points 34,610
Anenome replied on Sun, May 27 2012 10:26 PM

Generally, via exchange rates. You could also try price of a currency versus average cost of commodities.

Autarchy: rule of the self by the self; the act of self ruling.
  • | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Male
58 Posts
Points 2,060
tcostel replied on Sun, May 27 2012 10:31 PM

@Jack: In general by the amount of money used to buy the specific good. If I exchange $10 for 1 television, then my demand for the television is $10. You could say the sellers demand for the $10 is 1 television.

@Anenome: As for exchange rates, I don't see how that can be an accurate measure. Exchange rates can be affected both by the supply and demand of the currencies being compared.

Top 25 Contributor
Male
3,113 Posts
Points 60,515
Esuric replied on Mon, May 28 2012 2:22 AM

Value is never measured, only graded.

@Jack: In general by the amount of money used to buy the specific good. If I exchange $10 for 1 television, then my demand for the television is $10...

You can say that the demand for the television is at least $10.

"If we wish to preserve a free society, it is essential that we recognize that the desirability of a particular object is not sufficient justification for the use of coercion."

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS