Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Insider Trading

rated by 0 users
Answered (Verified) This post has 2 verified answers | 10 Replies | 4 Followers

Not Ranked
Male
57 Posts
Points 1,665
Austen posted on Wed, May 30 2012 5:25 PM

Why should insider trading not be considered a crime? 

Answered (Verified) Verified Answer

Not Ranked
Male
18 Posts
Points 345
Answered (Verified) DomV replied on Wed, May 30 2012 6:01 PM
Verified by Austen

Because all profits that are made on wall street are made on the basis of someone having superior knowledge than someone else.      People acting on this knowledge is actually what makes everything work well, and enables the distallation of distributed information into a 'price signal'.    Prices enable us to make reasonable decisions about resources without having to know every piece of information about everything    Therefore, it is important that people be allowed to act freely on information that they happen to have.     Resticting action distorts prices.

By prohibiting people with a lot of information from acting (insiders), the price forming process is hampered.     For example, if enron executives who knew of the corruption were not prohibited from acting as 'insiders', then the Enron price would have come down as a result, and people would not have been taken by surprise so much.

Finally, it is well known that 'insider trading' is prevalent on wall street.    Any conversation in a bar could later be construed as 'insider trading'.    This gives government the ability to selectively prosecute its enemies, and look the other way for its friends.   While doing nothing to protect consumers and stockholders.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Male
806 Posts
Points 12,855
Verified by Austen

DomV pretty much hit it on the head. In terms of links...

Is Insider Trading Really a Crime?

What is Morally Right with Insider Trading

Murrary Rothbard on Insider Trading

^ skip ahead to 6:21 to watch the segment dealing specifically with insider trading.

If I had a cake and ate it, it can be concluded that I do not have it anymore. HHH

All Replies

Top 100 Contributor
Male
806 Posts
Points 12,855

Why should it be considered a crime?

If I had a cake and ate it, it can be concluded that I do not have it anymore. HHH

• | Post Points: 35
Not Ranked
Male
18 Posts
Points 345
Answered (Verified) DomV replied on Wed, May 30 2012 6:01 PM
Verified by Austen

Because all profits that are made on wall street are made on the basis of someone having superior knowledge than someone else.      People acting on this knowledge is actually what makes everything work well, and enables the distallation of distributed information into a 'price signal'.    Prices enable us to make reasonable decisions about resources without having to know every piece of information about everything    Therefore, it is important that people be allowed to act freely on information that they happen to have.     Resticting action distorts prices.

By prohibiting people with a lot of information from acting (insiders), the price forming process is hampered.     For example, if enron executives who knew of the corruption were not prohibited from acting as 'insiders', then the Enron price would have come down as a result, and people would not have been taken by surprise so much.

Finally, it is well known that 'insider trading' is prevalent on wall street.    Any conversation in a bar could later be construed as 'insider trading'.    This gives government the ability to selectively prosecute its enemies, and look the other way for its friends.   While doing nothing to protect consumers and stockholders.

Not Ranked
Male
57 Posts
Points 1,665
Austen replied on Wed, May 30 2012 6:02 PM

I don't think it should. I posted the question in the hope that I would get an answer or at least a link to some good Austrian material on the subject. If you can't answer it, I'll just crank out the elbow grease and research hardcore for a debate I'm doing.

• | Post Points: 50
Top 100 Contributor
Male
806 Posts
Points 12,855

Mr. Jefferson!

Top 10 Contributor
6,953 Posts
Points 118,135

Austen:
I don't think it should. I posted the question in the hope that I would get an answer or at least a link to some good Austrian material on the subject. If you can't answer it, I'll just crank out the elbow grease and research hardcore for a debate I'm doing.

*Insider Trading threads*

Top 100 Contributor
Male
806 Posts
Points 12,855
Verified by Austen

DomV pretty much hit it on the head. In terms of links...

Is Insider Trading Really a Crime?

What is Morally Right with Insider Trading

Murrary Rothbard on Insider Trading

^ skip ahead to 6:21 to watch the segment dealing specifically with insider trading.

Not Ranked
Male
18 Posts
Points 345
DomV replied on Wed, May 30 2012 6:13 PM

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704224004574489324091790350.html

http://www.prweb.com/releases/2012/3/prweb9312509.htm

This is not a uniquely Austrian opinion, it is shared by most mainstream economists.    Most econs have the same views about unions as well (they cause the market to work less efficiently).    Any economist that defends these things is a major hack, and has sold out so he will be invited to liberal cocktail parties.

Top 25 Contributor
Male
4,922 Posts
Points 79,590

Austen:
Why should insider trading not be considered a crime?

Because then everyone would be allowed to do it, not just Congressmen. cheeky

The keyboard is mightier than the gun.

Non parit potestas ipsius auctoritatem.

Voluntaryism Forum

Top 50 Contributor
Male
1,687 Posts
Points 22,990
Bogart replied on Thu, May 31 2012 9:33 AM

Crimes have victims.  For there to be a crime there must be a damaged party.  An insider acting on information noone else possesses and profiting from that information does not damage anyone else.  If this is not the case, then acting on a hunch and placing a bet equivalent to the action of an insider would also damage another party.  Also it would be a crime to make a different interpretation of the same commonly available data and placing a bet equivalent to the action of an insider.  What is the difference between these three activities?  And what if the behavior of the insider produced a loss to the insider, is that a crime?

Now from the position of the firm, the firm in an effort to sell itself to investors may be interested in restricting "insider" behavior.  They could easily do this contractually without the need for government supervision.

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS