Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

government spending as a percentage of GDP?

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 9 Replies | 4 Followers

Not Ranked
18 Posts
Points 325
swalsh81 posted on Thu, May 31 2012 2:27 PM

I have a question. spending as a percentage of GDP is used by politicians to described the amount of GDP CONSUMED by the government. However, If C+I+G=Y in the keynesian model they seem to love, , then is it not a logical fallacy to say talk about spending levels in terms of G/(C+I+G) because you are forcing the percentage down by dividing government spending by a number that includes government spending?

Am I looking at something wrong here? is the number they actually report something more like G/(C+I)

and yes I know I am leaving off exports-imports

http://lawperverted.wordpress.com/ https://www.facebook.com/pages/Law-Perverted/397069737008607

All Replies

Top 200 Contributor
Male
494 Posts
Points 6,980

And what happens when government spending > GDP?

• | Post Points: 35
Top 150 Contributor
539 Posts
Points 11,275

It's a good question. A very good one.

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
43 Posts
Points 875

You should realize that the 'G' number in GDP (although what you're using is GNP) does not include transfer payments (welfare, SS, etc.).  That is, it doesn't include the money they just dole out without getting anything in return (except for subservience).  That would cause some severe double counting.  But the spending/GDP ratio is (G+transfer payments)/(C+I+G+NX).  And this number is usually either given for federal government or for all levels of government.

This website gives a summary of all U.S. government spending.

Top 150 Contributor
539 Posts
Points 11,275

And what happens when government spending > GDP?

Well by definition, if GDP = Consumption + Investment + Government Spending, then I suppose it can never be.

Top 500 Contributor
128 Posts
Points 2,945

First off, to say a line of reasoning is logically fallacious implies that an assertion is being made.  What assertion is being made here? What is "Government spending as a percentage of GDP"   given that GDP = C + I + G + (X - M)?    If you can't figure that out, I weep for the state of public education in America.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
539 Posts
Points 11,275

Oh please piss off you tedious pedant. The point he is making is that the use of this measure, as a sign of the state's fiscal health, may be misleading. He might have used the term 'logical fallacy' incorrectly, but the meaning of his question was fairly clear. I bet you're the sort that corrects people on their grammar too. angry

Top 10 Contributor
Male
4,987 Posts
Points 89,490

I had noticed that too (probably many have). I think that if you cut out G, the percent becomes something like 60%.

Not Ranked
43 Posts
Points 875

G is only 19.5% of GDP at the present time.  It's not as high as the commonly cited measures for Gov./GDP for the reason I mentioned above (transfer payments).

In Q1 of 2012, GDP was $15,454.0 billion.  Government consumption expenditures and gross investment was $3,018.2 billion, with $808.3 billion spent on national defense, $410.5 billion on federal nondefense spending, and $1,799.4 billion on state and local spending.  If you take out imports and exports,  government spending accounts for 18.8% of this number (GNP).  A lot of what the government does is just income redistribution, and this is not counted as government spending.

Top 10 Contributor
6,953 Posts
Points 118,135

This may help.

(not that it necessarily gives a direct answer (it may, I don't remember for sure) but it may help)

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS