Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Endogenous growth theory

rated by 0 users
This post has 5 Replies | 3 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 35
Austrian_Perspective Posted: Fri, Jun 1 2012 10:13 PM

The model works on the property of absence of diminishing returns to capital. The simplest form of production function with diminishing return is:figure 1.1

where

, is a positive constant that reflects the level of the technology.

capital (broad sense to include human capital)

, output per capita and the average and marginal product are constant at the level

If we substitute in equation of transitional Dynamics of Solow-Swan model (Exogenous growth model) which shows how an economy’s per capita incomes converges toward its own steady-state value and to the per capita incomes of other nations.

Transitional Dynamics equation, where Growth rate on is given by,

on substituting , we get ,

We return here to the case of zero technological progress, , because we want to show that per capita growth can now occur in the long run even without exogenous technological change. The figure 1.1 explains the perpetual growth, with exogenous technical progress. The vertical distance between the two line, and n+δ gives the

As, n+δ, so that. Since the two line are parallel, is constant; in particular, it is independent of . In other words, always grows at steady states rate,.

Since, equals at every point of time. In addition, since,the growth rate of equals . Hence, the entire per capita variable in the model grows at same rate, given by

However, we can observe that technology displays a positive long-run per capita growth without any exogenous technological development. The per capita growth depends on behavioural factors of the model as the saving rate and population. It is unlike neoclassical model, which is higher saving, s, promotes higher long run per capita growth .[7]

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,249
Points 70,775

What conclusions do you draw from this?

My humble blog

It's easy to refute an argument if you first misrepresent it. William Keizer

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

Smiling Dave:
What conclusions do you draw from this?

"I am smart.  Look at all my Greek symbols and notation to prove it."

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 3,113
Points 60,515
Esuric replied on Sat, Jun 2 2012 10:28 PM

This is actually stuff you find in basic intermediate macroeconomics texts, like Mankiw's for example.

"If we wish to preserve a free society, it is essential that we recognize that the desirability of a particular object is not sufficient justification for the use of coercion."

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,249
Points 70,775

This is actually stuff you find in basic intermediate macroeconomics texts, like Mankiw's for example.

What does it actually teach one about reality?

My humble blog

It's easy to refute an argument if you first misrepresent it. William Keizer

• | Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,389
Points 21,840

I don't understand.

Why are you giving us a page out of a Macro econ text?  

It's been awhile since I thought about this stuff - but I remember being more sympathetic to endogeneous growth than exogeneous 6 years ago when I learned this in school.

"As in a kaleidoscope, the constellation of forces operating in the system as a whole is ever changing." - Ludwig Lachmann

"When A Man Dies A World Goes Out of Existence"  - GLS Shackle

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS