Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Harriet Tubman Qutoe

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 3 Replies | 1 Follower

Not Ranked
9 Posts
Points 165
mickst3r posted on Mon, Jun 4 2012 4:28 PM

“I freed thousands of slaves, and could have freed thousands more, if they had known they were slaves.” 

http://www.goodreads.com/quotes/show/25767

Does anyone have a source to this quote? Did Harriet Tubman actually haev difficulty convincing people that they were slaves?

• | Post Points: 20

All Replies

Top 10 Contributor
6,953 Posts
Points 118,135

(Wikiquote.org is the best first place to check.)

quoted in Africana: The Encyclopedia of the African and African American Experience (2003) by Henry Louis Gates and Kwame Anthony Appiah, p. 299

Not Ranked
9 Posts
Points 165

I appreciate that JJ, and Yes I found that as well. That says nothing to the meaning behind the quote. It could be literal- that many slaves did not realize they were slaves in some way. Or it could have meant meta-bonds in some way- perhaps in her work in the woman's suffrage movement later in life.

I do not own a copy of Africana: The Encyclopedia of the African and African American Experience. Do you?

Top 10 Contributor
6,953 Posts
Points 118,135

mickst3r: Does anyone have a source to this quote?

John James: Africana: The Encyclopedia of the African and African American Experience (2003) by Henry Louis Gates and Kwame Anthony Appiah, p. 299

mickst3r: That says nothing to the meaning behind the quote.

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS