Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Economic Theory

rated by 0 users
Answered (Not Verified) This post has 0 verified answers | 19 Replies | 3 Followers

Not Ranked
6 Posts
Points 135
Gaucho posted on Wed, Jun 6 2012 8:26 AM

I read the Human Action and also Man Economy and State. Currently I am in economics discussion with a Keynsian neighbor. He is open to speak with me because I don't attack.

He admitted he does not know anything about economics so he wanted to read a college book in economics. I told him that most books in colleges are written from a Keynes perspective like Samuelson as an example.

So I suggested to read a standard economics book plus an Austrian economic book.

Economics in One Lesson is one option ... what other options are out there to read basic economics from both perspectives?

My goal is to invite Keynes oriented people, commit to read their book if they commit to read mine.

• | Post Points: 50

All Replies

Top 10 Contributor
6,953 Posts
Points 118,135

I don't know what you mean by "hardcover edition"/"softcover edition".  There are at least 4 editions of the book (and by that I don't mean "hardcover/softcover" printings...I mean actual "editions" in the literary sense of the term...as in the author/someone else revisted the text and made significant additions or changes.)

In the case of this title, Sowell has added considerably over the years.

Unless of course you're telling me you have both a "softcover" and "hardcover" print of the 4th edition and one is half the page length as the other.  But I seriously doubt that's the case.

And how the heck did you get "draconian" from what I said?

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
2,258 Posts
Points 34,610

You basically said 800 pages was way too much, ie: draconian.

I can accept that he's added a good deal to later editions, I probably read first edition back in the day, so perhaps that accounts for it.

As for soft-cover hard-cover, go to Amazon, look up soft-cover versus hardcover, very different page lengths. Seems first edition is 480 pages, 4th is 780. Quite an inflation.

Autarchy: rule of the self by the self; the act of self ruling.
Top 10 Contributor
6,953 Posts
Points 118,135

Anenome:
You basically said 800 pages was way too much, ie: draconian.

Dra·co·ni·an

[drey-koh-nee-uhn, druh-]
adjective

1.of, pertaining to, or characteristic of Draco  or his code of laws.
2. (often lowercase ) rigorous; unusually severe or cruel: Draconian forms of punishment.

All I said was a layperson was much less likely to read it.  I even iterated the text itself is totally readable.  So again, I don't know where you get off with "draconian".

As for soft-cover hard-cover, go to Amazon, look up soft-cover versus hardcover, very different page lengths.

Why don't you just tell me what they are?

Seems first edition is 480 pages, 4th is 780. Quite an inflation.

Right.  I know.  I'm the one who created the Basic Economics article that contains that information and has been linked in this thread at least twice already.  I'm also the one who made the point that "Sowell has added considerably over the years".  You're the one who claimed it was all due to font size.  Are you now taking that back and agreeing with me?

Top 50 Contributor
2,258 Posts
Points 34,610

I'm also the one who made the point that "Sowell has added considerably over the years".  You're the one who claimed it was all due to font size.  Are you now taking that back and agreeing with me?

Yes I am, as that seems more plausible than my font-size theory.

Autarchy: rule of the self by the self; the act of self ruling.
Top 10 Contributor
6,953 Posts
Points 118,135
Page 2 of 2 (20 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS