Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Was The Soviet Union A Resource Based Economy?

rated by 0 users
This post has 11 Replies | 1 Follower

Not Ranked
Posts 11
Points 295
siope1kd Posted: Sat, Jun 16 2012 5:17 PM

I am currently in a debate with a member of the Zeitgiest movement (pretty stubborn people with little knowledge or care about economics) and he tells me that the Soviet Union was not an exmple of an RBE. Was it an RBE? If so, why?

Oh and feel free to come help me debate against these guys. It is kinda hard when I'm on my own.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozy52bZ6JTw

Thanks,

- Keith Siopes

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 871
Points 21,030
eliotn replied on Sat, Jun 16 2012 5:41 PM

I'll help debate.

Schools are labour camps.

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 11
Points 295
siope1kd replied on Sat, Jun 16 2012 6:09 PM

Thank you, my friend. Nice rebuttle there!

• | Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,133
Points 20,435
Jargon replied on Sat, Jun 16 2012 6:10 PM

I thought it was obviously a money economy...

Land & Liberty

The Anarch is to the Anarchist what the Monarch is to the Monarchist. -Ernst Jünger

Not Ranked
Posts 11
Points 295
siope1kd replied on Sat, Jun 16 2012 6:15 PM

It appears that currency did exist, but it was a planned economy in which economic decisions regarding recource allocation were determined by a central planning board rather than the monetary system.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 871
Points 21,030
eliotn replied on Sat, Jun 16 2012 6:19 PM

also, since you are debating with the zeitgeist movement, this should be helpful:

mises.org/daily/4636

Schools are labour camps.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,133
Points 20,435
Jargon replied on Sat, Jun 16 2012 6:19 PM

Yes that's true. But I'd say that the money was an instrument of executing those plans, and of smoothing matters of consumption.

Land & Liberty

The Anarch is to the Anarchist what the Monarch is to the Monarchist. -Ernst Jünger

Not Ranked
Posts 11
Points 295
siope1kd replied on Sat, Jun 16 2012 6:57 PM

Much appreciated.

Not Ranked
Posts 18
Points 285

A common debate tactic of the Zeitgeisters is to ignore the calculation problem and focus soley on how good their ideas sound. Don't allow yourself to be fooled by this sleight-of-hand; none of their ideas will ever materialize without market prices. Stick with calculation.

Zeitgeisters look around at society as it currently is and think that they can run it as if they were simply reaching over and grabbing a steering wheel. They're mistaken.

Zeitgeisters, like many wannabe central-planners before, haven't learned, or they simply cannot give up the urge to tell others how to live.

Not Ranked
Posts 11
Points 295
siope1kd replied on Sat, Jun 16 2012 11:57 PM

You are absolutely right, my friend.

Not Ranked
Posts 11
Points 295
siope1kd replied on Tue, Jun 19 2012 5:57 PM

@eliotn, Your rebbutles are spot on. I gotta stop letting them get under my skin so much.

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,922
Points 79,590
Autolykos replied on Tue, Jun 19 2012 6:42 PM

The Soviet Union was emphatically not a resource-based economy. There was something in the way of resource-based planning, also known as the "method of material balances", but it played a small role in the overall planned economy. Prices and wages, on the other hand, played a major role. Furthermore, every economic interaction (at least in theory) was accounted for by a system known as "control by the ruble". See this for more: http://faculty.vassar.edu/kennett/Lieberman.htm

The keyboard is mightier than the gun.

Non parit potestas ipsius auctoritatem.

Voluntaryism Forum

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS