Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Taxation proves property solves environmentalism?

rated by 0 users
This post has 7 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,490
Wheylous Posted: Sun, Jun 17 2012 6:37 AM

Long explains a popular theory on the formation of the state:

Often the theory was that a sort of huntermarauder group conquers an agricultural group. In Molinari’s version of it what happens is: first, they just go and kill people and grab their stuff. And then gradually they figure out: well, maybe we should wait and not kill them because we want them to grow more stuff next time we come back. So instead, we’ll just come and grab their stuff and not kill them, and then they’ll grow some more stuff, and next year we’ll be back. And then they think, well, if we take all their stuff, then they won’t have enough seed corn to grow it, or they won’t have any incentive to grow it – they’ll just run away or something – so we won’t take everything.
Hence, when you can expect return profits, it's in your favor to not destroy everything.

Could this be used to explain why property rights are good for preserving species and forests?

Then, of course, there's the question of why government doesn't make other economically-good choices like not have regulation, but I think we might be able to base that on poor understanding of economics (while it's relatively simple to figure out that if you steal everything you won't have a return crop).

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,687
Points 48,995

Could this be used to explain why property rights are good for preserving species and forests?

Look up: tragedy of the commons.
  • | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,490
Wheylous replied on Sun, Jun 17 2012 9:32 AM

Yes, yes. But we say that like it's a trump card, when the original essay has been widely criticized:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tragedy_of_the_commons

I do not know of any original Austrian work on the subject.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 372
Points 8,230

What if I own a farm and I'm using chemicals on it which flow through the ground and poison a nearby well?

(Just raising an objection for the discussion.)

"Nutty as squirrel shit."
  • | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,679
Points 45,110
gotlucky replied on Sun, Jun 17 2012 3:21 PM

Is it your well?  If yes, then so what?  If not, then whose well is it?  If someone owns it, then you have just violated their property rights in the well.  If no one owns it, then no one has any right to speak up about it.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

Buzz Killington:
What if I own a farm and I'm using chemicals on it which flow through the ground and poison a nearby well?

(Just raising an objection for the discussion.)

I played this game with nirgrahamUK a while back.

In fact when this devil's advocate came up again a group got created just for this kind of discussion, but never actually got any activity.  Definitely feel free to start a thread there.  I'd be interested to see where it goes.

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 372
Points 8,230

I'll check it out.

Is it your well?  If yes, then so what?  If not, then whose well is it?  If someone owns it, then you have just violated their property rights in the well.  If no one owns it, then no one has any right to speak up about it.

Prove that my farm contributed enough poison to that well to seriously damage it when a hundred other farms are using the same chemicals.

"Nutty as squirrel shit."
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,679
Points 45,110
gotlucky replied on Mon, Jun 25 2012 5:37 PM

Buzz Killington:

Prove that my farm contributed enough poison to that well to seriously damage it when a hundred other farms are using the same chemicals.

I'll just repeat what I said before, as you completely sidestepped the question:

gotlucky:

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS