Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Tales from LibertarianLeftandia

rated by 0 users
This post has 14 Replies | 4 Followers

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,133
Points 20,435
Jargon Posted: Mon, Jun 18 2012 11:50 PM

I've been arguing with some people at ALL and they seem to think that all of you think that it would be ok in AnCapistan for property-owners to shoot beat or encage trespassers. Here's one of the posts:

Noor:
Go to the Mises forums if you don't think they advocate violence for trespassing etc. Read shit like Block's flagpole issue, or the crazies that argue a boat owner can kick people off the boat into the ocean.

Would anyone like to respond to this accusation for the sake of the record and Mises.org's good name? I told him I would post his accusation here.

Land & Liberty

The Anarch is to the Anarchist what the Monarch is to the Monarchist. -Ernst Jünger

• | Post Points: 110
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,389
Points 21,840

I've been arguing with some people at ALL 

This explains why you are going nowhere in the conversation.

"As in a kaleidoscope, the constellation of forces operating in the system as a whole is ever changing." - Ludwig Lachmann

"When A Man Dies A World Goes Out of Existence"  - GLS Shackle

• | Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 806
Points 12,855
ThatOldGuy replied on Tue, Jun 19 2012 12:10 AM

ALL

Qu'est-ce que c'est?

If I had a cake and ate it, it can be concluded that I do not have it anymore. HHH

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135
John James replied on Tue, Jun 19 2012 12:12 AM

Jargon:
Noor:
Go to the Mises forums if you don't think they advocate violence for trespassing etc. Read shit like Block's flagpole issue, or the crazies that argue a boat owner can kick people off the boat into the ocean.

Sounds remarkably similar to the straw men built by random statists: "You libertarians don't give a shit about anyone.  You think people should be left dying in the streets because they don't have health care.  And you want poor people to be your wage slaves.  You basically want to return to feudalism."

Same nonsense tactic, different morons.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135
John James replied on Tue, Jun 19 2012 12:14 AM

ThatOldGuy:

ALL

Qu'est-ce que c'est?

Le Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ALL#Politics

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,679
Points 45,110
gotlucky replied on Tue, Jun 19 2012 12:18 AM

Mean Hardhearted libertarian JJ:

Sounds remarkably similar to the straw men built by random statists: "You libertarians don't give a shit about anyone.  You think people should be left dying in the streets because they don't have health care.  And you want poor people to be your wage slaves.  You basically want to return to feudalism."

But don't you think people should be left dying in the streets because they don't have health care?  Don't you want to exploit the poor to become your wage slaves?  If you don't support the state, then you must be for chaos.

Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 806
Points 12,855
ThatOldGuy replied on Tue, Jun 19 2012 12:24 AM

Le thanks!

If I had a cake and ate it, it can be concluded that I do not have it anymore. HHH

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,389
Points 21,840

Quick Tips:

1) Left Wingers of this stripe probably don't care about: Intellectualism, antintellctualism, science, nihilism, egoism, science, humanity, society, collectivism, wealth distribution, the working class, the proletariat, alienation from work and land, actually violently opressed people, etc.  They care about leftists and leftism and how to be a good and sucessful leftist.

To go one step further in speculating: Nowadays they probably care more about topics of: language constructs, what to call rich white women, rights for typically middle class/rich people, student rights, how to make minorities conform to leftist views, how cool your art is, what organic foods to eat, animal rights, going green, attending the "right" college, and how to exclude non cool people who are not left wingers.

In other words leisurely topics for a bored and leisurely bourgoise class.

2)  Menger, etc are sociologists.  Right or wrong in their practice, they are in the business of "caring".  Unfortunatley it is a disciplin. to try to responsibly think and talk about the actual factual world within a specific context.  Unfortunately because one is trying to be responsible and disciplined it does not leave room for chincy sentimentalism or empty sloganing.

3) How you feel about trespessaing etc is a personal affair / ethic.  The Mises forum is not a personal entity, and let Block concern himself with Block

4) Everything I say is probably irrelevant when actually engage with a far leftist.  It is a task for Sisyphus to talk to these people

"As in a kaleidoscope, the constellation of forces operating in the system as a whole is ever changing." - Ludwig Lachmann

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 283
Points 5,580
Lewis S. replied on Tue, Jun 19 2012 5:12 AM

These guys better not show up on my lawn.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,490
Wheylous replied on Tue, Jun 19 2012 5:36 AM

Vive, you sound like a neocon there :P

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,922
Points 79,590
Autolykos replied on Tue, Jun 19 2012 8:23 AM

I'll take a different angle from Vive's, which I regret to say is only half-comprehensible to me once again.

Anyway, ALL user Noor referred to people in the Mises forums advocating violence for trespassing. Noor doesn't seem to be distinguishing aggressive violence from defensive violence. If a trespasser refuses to leave, why should the property owner let him remain? I think it's justified for the property owner to forcibly remove the trespasser, as long as the property owner uses only as much force as is strictly necessary to remove him. I don't think killing a trespasser is ever strictly necessary to remove him, so I consider that to be a case of murder.

To not be allowed to forcibly remove trespassers is to essentially allow any and all entrance onto any and all property. Maybe that's the left-libertarians' point.

The keyboard is mightier than the gun.

Non parit potestas ipsius auctoritatem.

Voluntaryism Forum

Top 150 Contributor
Male
Posts 653
Points 13,185

Well, here's a paraphrase of Block's flagpole situation:

You live on the 13th floor of a building, and a man on the roof slips and falls, and is now hanging for his life on the flagpole outside of your window.  Can you lawfully stop that person from entering your window?  His conclusions is yes.

Block doesn't actually advocate that you (the apartment owner) do one thing or the other.  Its not like he says "use a broomstick to knock the guy off the pole" or even "don't let the man climb through you window."  If you decided to let him in your window, Block is still cool with that.  He's just saying "look, the law can't require that you allow people to climb through your window.  It can't punish you from denying access to your home."

But its easy to see why this situation would make the average person (or left lib) uneasy.  I think most people would be pretty upset if something like this ever happened -- an old curmugdeon letting someone fall to their death and not facing legal consequence.  But this is Block, and he has a super narrow conception of law that is not shared by everyone at the LvMI.

Also, its at least worth pointing out that even IF Bock's version of libertarian law every became reality, and this kind of thing happened, there would probably be serious non-legal sanctions against the apartment owner. 

(Disclaimer:  I am not a fan of Block, at all.  But I think everyone needs to have their arguments presented properly.) 

they said we would have an unfair fun advantage

"enough about human rights. what about whale rights?" -moondog
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,389
Points 21,840

Vive, you sound like a neocon there 

lol, if there is one thing I have in common with both Ayn Rand and neocons, people who  I usually don't associate myself with, it is a distaste for dirty hippies

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 372
Points 8,230
If I remember correctly when I was taking the position that a couple did the right thing in shooting a trespassing drunk teen most people on here disagreed, and many believe that "defense" of property should not exceed retaliation (and the Mises forum is not one entity anyways). I agree that Block is pretty wacky on some issues and seems to be a propertarian, but that's not a reflection of all "right" libertarians.
"Nutty as squirrel shit."
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,389
Points 21,840

but that's not a reflection of all "right" libertarians.

Which I can see as a major problem.  Too many people I have seen seem to automatically associate everything with a sensationalistic  version of Rothbard / Hoppe / Block, and just throw out slogans after that. 

Page 1 of 1 (15 items) | RSS