Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

The Police Brutality/Aggression Thread

rated by 0 users
This post has 82 Replies | 8 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,258
Points 34,610
Anenome replied on Tue, Nov 20 2012 7:31 PM

Man I'd hate to be a cop.

I just see them these days and just pity them. Most of them don't have any clue about political theory, but I think the longer they go on they begin to absorb the injustice of what's labelled justice.

Like, if I were a cop, how can I justify enforcing pot laws? Most cops in this day and age smoked as kids. So they either don't bother, turn a blind eye, punish only the infractions that throw it in their face or are caught in other ways, or take payoffs for the same.

I would think the smart people at the DEA would have to know that their reason for existing is a sham, at the highest levels, and they must be telling themselves they're doing it for another reason. I can't imagine what line of reasoning they're using. But they have to know that the black markets the US criminalization creates is why, for instance, Mexico is overcome by violence via rich cartels.

Autarchy: rule of the self by the self; the act of self ruling.
  • | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 6,885
Points 121,845
Clayton replied on Wed, Nov 21 2012 3:13 PM

Just found my police brutality vid on the hard drive! John James has been after it for a year... let me get it uploaded to YT again.

Clayton -

http://voluntaryistreader.wordpress.com
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,679
Points 45,110
gotlucky replied on Wed, Nov 21 2012 3:17 PM

[Deleted]

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 6,885
Points 121,845
Clayton replied on Wed, Nov 21 2012 3:24 PM

WTF? How is this even possible??

An open plea to Hollywood liberals:

a) I know that most of you are not big fans of the police to begin with. Many of you have seen the ugly side of "the System" up-close and personal during your hell-raising days back in the 60's and 70's.

b) The police have been granted awesome new powers since 2001 that have created a caustic mixture of the virtual absolute immunity that comes with police work and an arsenal of temptations for self-aggrandizement and egoism at the expense of bodily injury and even death of police victims with little or no recourse because "the officer followed the rules."

This legalism permits officers with a psychological propensity to bullying to pick out a keyword from a conversation with an obviously harmless individual and launch a vicious assault on them. While there have always been bad apples, departments have had to "rein them in" so to speak, sometimes even going so far as to put them on desk duty. But in the post-9/11 environment, departments have little to fear in terms of legal or even political repercussions from the behavior of even their most vicious bullies.

c) You have a megaphone at your disposal which you regularly use to spout government propaganda and make glorified recruiting advertisements like GI Joe. Unlike the audiences of these subsidized movies who are only attending for the fireworks display and special-effects, there is a genuine angst in the public about the powers wielded by police. If you were to make a movie that presented the victims' plights, that showed how the psychology of police bullies works, how the departments have become unaccountable in the post-9/11 environment, you will be doing far more to actually help the poor and downtrodden than any Michael Moore-hosted fundraising dinner you might attend.

Will someone please step up and do something about this??

Clayton -

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 6,885
Points 121,845
Clayton replied on Wed, Nov 21 2012 3:27 PM

Clayton -

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 6,885
Points 121,845
Clayton replied on Sat, Nov 24 2012 9:11 PM

Dutifully complying won't save you:

Clayton -

• | Post Points: 50
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,679
Points 45,110
gotlucky replied on Sat, Nov 24 2012 9:42 PM

Scary stuff. I know I said it before, but seriously, someday the cops are going to tase the wrong guy. It's dog bites man when a black man resists arrest for this disgusting display of aggression, but someday the police are going to fuck with some regular middle class white guy, and it's going to be a case of man bites dog.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 985
Points 21,180
hashem replied on Sat, Nov 24 2012 10:28 PM

Is it weird that I feel dizzy and on the verge of puking watching these videos?

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect. —Mark Twain
Top 75 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,018
Points 17,760

thats so sad.

“Since people are concerned that ‘X’ will not be provided, ‘X’ will naturally be provided by those who are concerned by its absence."
"The sweetest of minds can harbor the harshest of men.”

http://voluntaryistreader.wordpress.org

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,711
Points 29,285

My Grandfather was a Miami Beach cop for years, and he'd be disgusted by this crap. Never pulled his gun out or anything over the 30+ years he was on the force.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,679
Points 45,110
gotlucky replied on Sat, Nov 24 2012 10:56 PM

hashem:

Is it weird that I feel dizzy and on the verge of puking watching these videos?

Absolutely not. If you don't feel enraged, disgusted, sadness or some similar emotion, then there is definitely something wrong. Unfortunately, there are a lot of people who can watch such a video and say "They are only doing their jobs" or some similar crap.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 233
Points 5,375

Anenome:

Man I'd hate to be a cop.

I just see them these days and just pity them. Most of them don't have any clue about political theory, but I think the longer they go on they begin to absorb the injustice of what's labelled justice.

Like, if I were a cop, how can I justify enforcing pot laws? Most cops in this day and age smoked as kids. So they either don't bother, turn a blind eye, punish only the infractions that throw it in their face or are caught in other ways, or take payoffs for the same.

I would think the smart people at the DEA would have to know that their reason for existing is a sham, at the highest levels, and they must be telling themselves they're doing it for another reason. I can't imagine what line of reasoning they're using. But they have to know that the black markets the US criminalization creates is why, for instance, Mexico is overcome by violence via rich cartels.

Don't pity them. They are not forced or coerced to choose and perpetuate the profession. They freely choose the lifestyle. One thing I've learned from cops, though, is that all the good ones want to get out of the job. Many, many cops out there are truly good guys who enlist to protect the citizens' rights. The best ones don't bother with the petty crap laws, and they eventually leave or retire and want nothing to do with the profession ever again.

At their worst, they are power hungry, though most I've come to know over the years simply have a small-man complex and want to compensate for it somehow. 

• | Post Points: 50
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,258
Points 34,610
Anenome replied on Sun, Nov 25 2012 10:04 PM

I know the class bully from my high school became a cop in Hawaii.

The crazy part is, not only was he a bully but he was also the smallest and weakest of all of us >_> He was just abrasive, obnoxious, and mean.

One time, the class nerd beat him up in a fight, not even joking. The nerd picked the pully up by his arms and held him against a wall, then looked back at the crowd and said, "Now what do I do?"

We laughed our heads off and the bully shook the dude's grip and lurked away :P

I feel sorry for anyone who'd run into him as a cop. He's got all kinds of issues I'm sure.

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,922
Points 79,590
Autolykos replied on Mon, Nov 26 2012 6:41 PM

thetabularasa:
Don't pity them. They are not forced or coerced to choose and perpetuate the profession. They freely choose the lifestyle. One thing I've learned from cops, though, is that all the good ones want to get out of the job. Many, many cops out there are truly good guys who enlist to protect the citizens' rights. The best ones don't bother with the petty crap laws, and they eventually leave or retire and want nothing to do with the profession ever again.

At their worst, they are power hungry, though most I've come to know over the years simply have a small-man complex and want to compensate for it somehow.

So you know a lot of cops, do you?

The keyboard is mightier than the gun.

Non parit potestas ipsius auctoritatem.

Voluntaryism Forum

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,133
Points 20,435
Jargon replied on Mon, Nov 26 2012 7:28 PM

Define "know"

Land & Liberty

The Anarch is to the Anarchist what the Monarch is to the Monarchist. -Ernst Jünger

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,922
Points 79,590
Autolykos replied on Mon, Nov 26 2012 7:55 PM

Good point, unless you're just trying to mock me.

Voluntaryism Forum

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 233
Points 5,375

Autolykos:

Good point, unless you're just trying to mock me.

Stop being so sensitive, Autolycus, and stop following my posts you stalker. Weirdo. Nobody's trying to mock you. If you insist on following me, at least stop being so sensitive, and stop sending me emails. 

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,922
Points 79,590
Autolykos replied on Mon, Nov 26 2012 8:05 PM

You're going to have to try harder than that. I know you have it in you.

Voluntaryism Forum

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,258
Points 34,610
Anenome replied on Tue, Nov 27 2012 12:08 AM

Jargon:

Define "know"

Reminds me of

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 496
Points 8,945

gotlucky - i guess that texas one is new.  The news here in north texas have a hold of it and are doing a segment on it.  I will keep you updated when it airs in an hour.  

Eat the apple, fuck the Corps. I don't work for you no more!
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,679
Points 45,110
gotlucky replied on Wed, Nov 28 2012 9:01 PM

Please do. I'm curious as to what kind of information reporters have and what the police statement will be. Should be interesting.

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 496
Points 8,945

not much information, the officer has been a cop for 4 years.  The victim is sueing and the officer is now on admin leave.  Which probably just means paid vacation while it gets sorted out.

They showed a video right before it on another police brutality video of a cop lifting a girl up and body slamming her on concrete.  That case the police said excessive force wasnt used, and the officer is now back to work...  Probably going to be similar, but i will look for more articles on it in the future

Here is some similar info like location and victim name

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,922
Points 79,590
Autolykos replied on Thu, Nov 29 2012 9:06 AM

In that other video, did the police department give any reasoning for why they thought that wasn't excessive force? Or did they simply issue a statement saying "We have found that the officer's behavior did not constitute excessive force"?

Voluntaryism Forum

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 496
Points 8,945

auto- It was simply a statement stating that officer acted within protocol.  And here is the video of the body slam of the 15 year old girl.

On the other case.  The news has the video on the original cop car and why they stopped the kid.  The kids in the park were looking suspicious so he started asking questions.  I guess the kid that was on the ground had an outstanding warrant.  So the kid calls his mother and the officer tells him to hang up.  When the kid refused to hang up on his mom.  (the video doesnt see anything but you hear everything.)

Kid on phone with mom: I'm at the park right now and this cop is harrassing me.

kid seconds later: dont touch me. dont touch me dog.  Stop touching me

Then the struggle and the cop takes him down.  This is when the other kid records everything on his cell phone.

After the arrest the two cops are talking original cop says to that Arnold guy:  If that thing starts showing up on youtube and other things like that.  It's not the best idea. 

_____

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,258
Points 34,610
Anenome replied on Thu, Nov 29 2012 7:23 PM

Looks more like she tried to run and he checked her momentum, causing her feet to come out from underneath her.

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 305
Points 7,165

We have a former police officer in one of my classes. One day we were talking about false imprisonment and improper detainment. I raised a hypothetical about an armed robbery involving a black male wearing a black shirt. He said he'd detain every black male within a mile who fit the description. "It's what I'd have to do." 

He also does MMA. 

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,922
Points 79,590
Autolykos replied on Fri, Nov 30 2012 5:49 PM

Did he give any sort of explanation as to why that would supposedly be "what [he'd] have to do"?

Voluntaryism Forum

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 305
Points 7,165

No, it wasn't an in depth discussion at all. He just basically said that he'd arrest and detain as many people as it took for him to catch the "bad guy". There's a good meme floating around that says "I was just following orders" and has pictures of all sorts of police/state brutality. Reminded me of that.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,679
Points 45,110

North Side family says prized puppy was unjustly shot by cop

Wow. It seems like the puppy lived, but the behavior by the cop is despicable.

Not Ranked
Posts 98
Points 1,895

gotlucky:
Scary stuff. I know I said it before, but seriously, someday the cops are going to tase the wrong guy.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 6,885
Points 121,845
Clayton replied on Fri, Dec 7 2012 1:03 AM

LOL ... only on Wikipedia.

Clayton -

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 5,118
Points 87,310
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

Clayton:

Dutifully complying won't save you:

Clayton -

Cannot wait till I get tazered for not taking the flu shot. You all know it will eventually occur.

To paraphrase Marc Faber: We're all doomed, but that doesn't mean that we can't make money in the process.
Rabbi Lapin: "Let's make bricks!"
Stephan Kinsella: "Say you and I both want to make a German chocolate cake."

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,922
Points 79,590

Clayton:
LOL ... only on Wikipedia.

... Wow. Clearly this is another instance of the "See what you make me do to you!" canard.

Voluntaryism Forum

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 6,885
Points 121,845
Clayton replied on Fri, Dec 7 2012 4:00 PM

@Auto: And I like how it's a completely made-up condition... Just made up by some random news article and then posted to Wiki like it's a real "syndrome". Not that most "syndromes" are real conditions to begin with... Szasz was right, psychiatry is a joke and this kind of thing only goes to show how much of a joke it is.

Clayton -

Not Ranked
Posts 24
Points 645
posted a comment on Facebook about killing cops is justifiable and loaded NWA = f tha police on there. wow people got mad. hah. mainly a wife of a cop. i made it clear to kill in self defense, but she was still really angry. the wife said, "i don't care how many people my husband beats up as long as it gets him home safely!" she then called me ignorant. haha. "most of the people are guilty anyways" she didn't likehearing innocent until proven guilty. also i mentioned a story about a cop in her husbands area that beat up a teen... " the kid was name calling left and right! butthe video didn't show that!" Good Lord. my head hurts.
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,493
Points 39,355
Malachi replied on Sun, Dec 9 2012 11:39 AM
posted a comment on Facebook about killing cops is justifiable and loaded NWA = f tha police on there.
lol whiskey balls
Keep the faith, Strannix. -Casey Ryback, Under Siege (Steven Seagal)
Page 2 of 3 (83 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next > | RSS