Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

*** July 2012 low content thread ***

rated by 0 users
This post has 213 Replies | 11 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

An Upcoming Libertarian Film Star

Lew Rockwell has posted a podcast of an interview he conducted with Amanda BillyRock.

It's a great interview with a talented gal. In recent months, I have seen a few of her youtube videos and have been impressed with her ability to get across libertarian concepts. So it came as a shock to me when she told Lew that she only became aware of libertarianism about a year and a half ago. We have a real quick study on our hands here.

Lew's interview, along with links to some of her youtube videos, her Facebook page, etc. is here

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

Ever heard of a car worth the same price as thirty-eight F-35 Lightning II fighter jets? 

Apparently Bloomberg has...

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 6,885
Points 121,845
Clayton replied on Fri, Jul 6 2012 1:52 PM

Clayton I'm curious...why didn't you just put all those in a playlist?

Um, good question. Totally spaced it. I don't do that kind of thing very often. Next time.

Clayton -

http://voluntaryistreader.wordpress.com
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

Tom Woods: Bill O'Reilly, Constitutional Scholar

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 5,118
Points 87,310
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

How about one big link that says, "go to economicpolicyjournal.com"?

To paraphrase Marc Faber: We're all doomed, but that doesn't mean that we can't make money in the process.
Rabbi Lapin: "Let's make bricks!"
Stephan Kinsella: "Say you and I both want to make a German chocolate cake."

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,679
Points 45,110

Because that would make too much sense.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

Well, there's roughly 10 posts per day from there, and these get collected over time.  I figure it's a decent capture of the better ones and simply looking at this list is easier than having to scroll through literally hundreds of posts, at 20 posts per page (which takes roughly ten seconds to load, as well).  If you don't like em, I don't have to post em.

Just thought it was a decent shot of headlines that you don't see in The Headlines (and of course commentary you certainly won't get almost everywhere else.)

If nobody wants em, that can be the last list.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 5,118
Points 87,310
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

That makes sense.

To paraphrase Marc Faber: We're all doomed, but that doesn't mean that we can't make money in the process.
Rabbi Lapin: "Let's make bricks!"
Stephan Kinsella: "Say you and I both want to make a German chocolate cake."

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 6,885
Points 121,845
Clayton replied on Fri, Jul 6 2012 8:56 PM

@JJ: Keep it coming. EPJ is awesome but, seriously, I don't have the time to sift through it all. I like having all the good headlines in one place. Wenzel is a badass.

Clayton -

http://voluntaryistreader.wordpress.com
  • | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,249
Points 70,775

Highway 61 revisited

My humble blog

It's easy to refute an argument if you first misrepresent it. William Keizer

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

MSNBC - Ron Paul Could Be Nominated At The Republican National Convention

(gotta love how she does her mock-serious face to try to mock...following the rules(?))

Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 806
Points 12,855

... the committe has hired additional security for the purposes of maintaining an orderly convention.

Right. Because the Ron Paul supporters are the ones forcing others outside the building and locking them out from participating in the convention. 

I'd really like to see Paul speak at the convention.

If I had a cake and ate it, it can be concluded that I do not have it anymore. HHH

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

Tampa Rally Update from Ron Paul

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,493
Points 39,355
Malachi replied on Sun, Jul 8 2012 7:03 PM
So are any of you people going?
Keep the faith, Strannix. -Casey Ryback, Under Siege (Steven Seagal)
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

Tom Woods: On Wasting Time With Idiots

On my Facebook page, someone posted the following exchange:

Person: Here, look at this blog post that makes my point better than I can, and cites sources www.tomwoods.com/xxxxxxxxxxx/ [the particular blog post is not relevant to my point]

Chat Room Guy: Oh wow! A blog! Yeah, that’s a great source of information! Some guy in his pajamas spewing crap on the interwebs! LMAO

Person: Actually, he is a PhD historian from an Ivy League university and a New York Times bestselling author.

Chat Room Guy: Oh, so because he has a PhD means he is automatically right? All hail Tom Woods PHD! Hallowed be his name LMAO

^ this is why I don’t go into chat rooms anymore.

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,493
Points 39,355
Malachi replied on Sun, Jul 8 2012 8:51 PM
Lol at trollerskates busting everybody's balls because he basically knows them
Keep the faith, Strannix. -Casey Ryback, Under Siege (Steven Seagal)
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

Since someone brought up Murphy's debate challenge...

Now That’s a Birthday Image

It’s economist Bob Murphy’s birthday today. A fan sent him this:

If you are missing the reference, you need to watch Interview with a Zombie. (And also know that Bob has refuted Krugman more than all other economists combined.)

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

LearnLiberty: Top 3 Ways Sweatshops Help The Poor Escape Poverty

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

Tim Harford, the Undercover Economist, has an interesting blog in which he sometimes holds conversations with himself.  Here's a fun one on a recent Daily Telegraph article on inflation:

Who (still) wants to be a millionaire?

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

Jan pitches Stossel

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

One of the things I really like about this is the way it turns typical statist "gotcha's" into punchlines...without even changing them.  It's all in the framing.  We need more of this.  It's the kind of thing that will help crack the surface for the ideas to start getting through.

(Thanks to the Bastiat Institute.)

I was mentioning to Kinsella how what I love most about this short TED talk is the way the guy was so unabashedly smug about it, and so freely mocks the industries and the legal system.  In a TED talk, no less.  He agreed and said "WE have to make fun of the state, mock it, not take it seriously. This is one reason Hoppe wants to have a comedian at the next annual meeting of the Property and Freedom Society."

There was actually a small campaign on Youtube about a year ago along that same line...

Defeating the state through jokes

More examples

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,389
Points 21,840

From this Article on "how to be french"

http://uncyclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/HowTo:Be_French

Picking a French Role Model:

Role model

achievement
Asterix (aka *) saved France from the Romans
Joan of Arc saved France from the English
d'Artagnan saved France from Cardinal Richelieu
Emperor Napoleon Bonaparte saved France from the Prussians (and almost from the Russians)
Capitaine Nemo saved France from Moby Dick
Cyrano De Bergerac rocked the "Jew Look"
General de Gaulle saved France from Winston Churchill
America saved France from Hitler
Jean-Paul Sartre saved the world from Simone de Beauvoir
Voltaire saved France from Jean-Jaques Rousseau
Albert Camus saved the world from Jean-Paul Sartre
Johnny "the King" Halliday saved France from Elvis
Serge Gainsbourg saved France from France
Mulder ("Mewldehr") saved France from X-file aliens
Lucky Luc Skywalker saved France from Darth Vader
Jean-Luc Picard saved the world from the Klingon menace
Television saved France from not laughing at Sarkozy

Most of that list is pretty funny, and true when it comes to the Philosphers.

Also from that article

English to French Translator

English: Entrepreneur   French: No Translation

And Advice for being at a French Restraunt:

Never give any tips. First of all, the waiter has a SMIC (level of salary for very rich people) and certainly a bigger yacht than yours. Secondly, this is forbidden by tax regulations. Finally, knowing in advance that you would not give any tips, he spat in all the courses.

Do not be kind with the staff, but do not be an asshole, or they will give it back to you. If you complain on the food for example, you will be considered as what they call a citoyen américain. And this is a very rude word in French. Then the waiter will call the chef; the latter is usually 6'7" (2 metres) wide. If you asked for salt, you might become the dinner of the next customers.

In a foreign restaurant, do the same. But there are some variants you can use. For instance, ask to taste a wine and, when they serve you, hold the glass by the foot, swirl it around, look carefully at the robe, swirl it again, smell, take a sip, make the noise of a toilet flush, spit the wine on the waiter and say: "Diss iz pisse!". Even though you have no idea what you are doing, it does not matter: you are French, so you know what wine is.

Getting a Job as a Frenchmen:

Frenchmen can't just do anything to make a living; they have to have a job approved and subsidised by the government. Even the lowliest French jobs have fringe benefits commensurate with the French ego, including: company car, appartement on the Champs-Élysées, free meals in 3 star Michelin restaurants, mistress, 26 weeks holidays and yacht, retirement at 50. Choose from (in strict order of self importance):

• Cheesemaker
  • President
  • General (the lowest rank in the French army)
  • Philosopher (official alternative to being permanently on strike)
  • Collaborateur/double agent (the highest rank in the French army)
  • Farmer (EU funded)
  • Rugby player
  • Fashion designer/Film maker (equivalent of Major in the US army)
  • International banker
  • Duck stuffer/Snail masturbator
  • Winemaker
  • Submarine safety officer

For all of these jobs (except President) you will have to pass a concours = 3 year exam to prove that you are man enough to fill out all the paperwork and pay all the right people the right bribes

And Finally:

You must elect authoritarian demagogues to high office

Good stuff

"As in a kaleidoscope, the constellation of forces operating in the system as a whole is ever changing." - Ludwig Lachmann

"When A Man Dies A World Goes Out of Existence"  - GLS Shackle

Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 806
Points 12,855

vive la insurrection: that post is absolutely hysterical. I think this is the funniest part:

If you complain on the food for example, you will be considered as what they call a citoyen américain. And this is a very rude word in French.

-----

Just came across this:

Gizmo, the miracle dog is thriving

(click here for the story)

It's actually a very happy story. My eyes teared up around halfway through. Then it ends like this:

Two days after the incident, I am happy to report that Gizmo is doing better.  According to Joe, he is still not himself and is lethargic, but as each moment passes, he improves. 

Out of the ashes of a tragedy, we are given a symbol of hope, love, and devotion.  As we lament the opinion of the chief justice, let us be reminded of the hope that still remains: that this ruling will unite true patriots in their efforts to make this president a one-termer.  Miracles can happen.

I mean, yeah, but what the hell?

If I had a cake and ate it, it can be concluded that I do not have it anymore. HHH

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,417
Points 41,720
Nielsio replied on Mon, Jul 9 2012 9:56 PM

The Production Of Science. This Week in Liberty, Episode 3. Guest: Amelia (LifeIsHowItIs) | VforVoluntaryTV

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 297
Points 5,250
Rcder replied on Mon, Jul 9 2012 10:25 PM

Where'd Freedom4Me run off to?  I miss his ranting anarcho-primitivist polemics...

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,679
Points 45,110
gotlucky replied on Mon, Jul 9 2012 10:36 PM

Don't jinx it. If he comes back, it's entirely your fault, not his.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 297
Points 5,250
Rcder replied on Mon, Jul 9 2012 10:47 PM

I think he actually adds to the prestige value of the Mises Institute; I mean, it's not every day you find a primitivist who uses a computer to express a philosophy dead set against the use of computers. 

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

You need to watch this

Great Tom Woods interview.  He discusses our post-Paul future, left-libertarianism, the Atlas Shrugged movie, the Supreme Court, Obamacare, and more.

The SCOTUS/Obamacare/Romney stuff is really good.  Definitely something you can send to your typical "conservatives".  Here's a link to just that segment (as, if they open a video and see that it's 50 minutes long, they may very well start skipping around on the time bar right away.  But you go ahead and listen to the whole thing.)

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,739
Points 60,635
Marko replied on Tue, Jul 10 2012 8:29 AM

Disregarding the content delivered by Woods I can say I really dislike the pedestrian style of this interview. Slow to speak couch people with a lack of facial expressions. Bo-o-o-oring.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

Right, they suck, but realize you basically just said "Disregarding 49+ minutes of a 54 minute interview, I can say I really dislike this video."

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,739
Points 60,635
Marko replied on Tue, Jul 10 2012 1:55 PM

A list of selected Scott Horton interviews (Antiwar Radio and Scott Horton Show) for your pleasure:

Anthony Gregory discusses his article “Should We Celebrate the American Revolution;” why King George III was better than US Presidents 1-44

William S. Lind discusses his article “Unfriendly Fire: How the Taliban mastered the operational art of modern war;  so-called “green on blue” attacks in Afghanistan; and how a rudderless foreign policy has prevented US progress in Afghanistan since November 2001.

Charles Goyette discusses how prosperity is an offshoot of freedom, how the state is hastening America’s economic collapse, why Democrats and Republicans are both “food stamp” parties;

Robert P. Murphy discusses the Supreme Court’s strange ruling on ObamaCare; the apparent weakening of the Commerce Clause and strengthening of Congress’s taxing authority; why Leftists hoping for single-payer national healthcare should be sorely disappointed by ObamaCare;

Globetrotting journalist Pepe Escobar discusses Turkey’s violation of Syrian airspace in a purposeful, measured provocation and test of Syria’s defenses; grand plans for NATO expansion in the official “Assured Security, Dynamic Engagement” plan; counterrevolutions in the Middle East and South America

Winslow Wheeler, director of the Straus Military Reform Project, discusses his article “The Jet That Ate the Pentagon;” the large portion of procurement money earmarked for the F-35; why single-purpose planes are better and cheaper than multipurpose ones; and the price/performance penalty inherent in stealth aircraft.

Former CIA officer Philip Giraldi discusses the National Counter Terrorism Center’s annual Report on Terrorism, which statistically proves that Americans are more likely to be killed by televisions than terrorists; how international terrorists groups like al-Qaeda have given way to small franchises focused on local issues; and the self-perpetuating cycle of US foreign policy, where a new intervention is undertaken to fix a previous botched job, ad infinitum.

Thomas E. Woods, author of Rollback, discusses Ron Paul as an economic prophet of sorts; Woods’s personal transformation from party-line Republican to peace and liberty advocate; and how the college kids who are reading Mises instead of Keynes – thanks to Ron Paul – could change academia for a generation.

Regular Antiwar.com columnist Kelley B. Vlahos discusses her article “The CIA and Polio in Pakistan;” how Dr. Shakil Afridi set up a fake immunization campaign to help the CIA in their effort to pinpoint Osama bin Laden’s location in Abbottabad; how the immunization ruse further undermined public confidence in vaccinations in one of the last countries with Polio cases;

Will Grigg, blogger and author of Liberty in Eclipse, discusses his article “What to Remember on Memorial Day;” Westward expansion and the 19th century genocide of American Indians; the different negotiating tactics of private and government-subsidized railroads; Dr. Seuss’s anti-Japanese propaganda during WWII;

John Glaser, Assistant Editor at Antiwar.com, discusses his article “Under Obama’s Reign, Habeas Corpus Rights Wrenched Away;”; how President Obama bypasses the courts entirely by killing suspected terrorists (and/or dark-skinned civilians) with drone strikes; the enemy-combatant status of all drone victims, unless proven otherwise posthumously (some consolation);

Ron Kukal, former US Navy Petty Officer and USS Liberty survivor, discusses his firsthand account of Israel’s attack on the Liberty on June 8, 1967; the carnage of dead sailors below decks from the Israeli torpedo strike;

Gareth Porter, investigative historian and journalist specializing in U.S. national security policy, discusses his article “US Rejected 2005 Iranian Offer Ensuring No Nuclear Weapons;” the Bush administration’s hardline stance against even a single Iranian centrifuge; and Iran’s offer to have all its low-enriched uranium converted into fuel-rods, which cannot be used to make nuclear weapons.

Show is live at: http://antiwar.com/radio/check_if_on.php Mondays-Fridays 9-12 am Pacific. Archives of interviews at: http://www.scotthortonshow.com/all-interviews/  Archives of complete shows (not just the interviews) without commercials are here: http://dissentradio.com/lrn/rss-mp3.xml

Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 806
Points 12,855

Related to the Maddow video John James posted hereBen Swann WXIX just posted this on facebook:

USA Today, MSNBC and Rachel Maddow show all reporting that Nebraska is a must win for the Paul campaign in order for Congressman Paul to get his name into nomination at the RNC in August. 

From USA Today: 
"Under Rule 40, Section B in the Republican National Committee's rule book, a presidential candidate must demonstrate the support of a "plurality of the delegates from five or more states" to get his or her name entered for nomination at the convention.

Paul already has a plurality of delegates from Iowa, Maine, Minnesota and Louisiana. Nebraska is the last state that will hold its convention for delegates."

The only problem with this... Congressman Paul already has a plurality of delegates in more than 5 states... in fact, it is my understanding he has the plurality in 6.

Colorado Paul 18, Romney 16, Santorum 2
Iowa Paul 23, Romney 2
Louisiana Paul 27, Romney 19
Maine Paul 21, Romney 3
Minn Paul 32, Romney 8
Nevada Paul 22, Romney 3

if this is wrong, let me know. here is the link to the usa today aricle.

Ron Paul's supporters stake last hopes on Nebraska

Cool.

Not Ranked
Posts 88
Points 1,455
idol replied on Tue, Jul 10 2012 8:36 PM

Krugman really needs a copy of Economics in One Lesson.

http://krugman.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/07/09/what-you-add-is-what-you-get/

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,490
Wheylous replied on Wed, Jul 11 2012 9:28 AM

their marginal utility from an extra dollar is very small, so the revenue-maximizing tax also maximizes welfare for society as a whole.

Jesus, are you SERIOUS? Does he still believe in interpersonal utility comparisons?

Page 2 of 6 (214 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS