Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

*** July 2012 low content thread ***

rated by 0 users
This post has 213 Replies | 11 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,739
Points 60,635
Marko replied on Wed, Jul 11 2012 12:52 PM

A list of selected Scott Horton interviews

I mean a selection of recent interviews.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

Okay, if you haven't heard/seen yet, you gotta catch this:

A live television programme in Jordan descended into chaos, with a politician threatening an opponent with a gun. The debate between MP Mohammad Shawabka and political activist Mansour Murad became heated after the two men traded insults with each other. No shots were fired and no-one was seriously hurt.

Of course a similar thing happened in Greece just a few weeks ago.  This is what happens when too many people forget.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 6,885
Points 121,845
Clayton replied on Wed, Jul 11 2012 2:05 PM

And let's not miss the opportunity to unmask the true gravity of the political class.

Clayton -

http://voluntaryistreader.wordpress.com
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

I kinda like this guy

Barry Cooper vs the idiots at fox news!

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 6,885
Points 121,845
Clayton replied on Fri, Jul 13 2012 4:09 PM

How'd he keep his cool with all those FAUX harpies? She compared him to NAMBLA?? Seriously???

Clayton -

Not Ranked
Posts 33
Points 510
fbc91 replied on Fri, Jul 13 2012 5:52 PM

Adam Kokesh on Joe Rogan's podcast:

http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/23926770

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

You might remember back a few months ago when the video of the Kelly Thomas murder by a bunch of California thugs with guns and badges was finally released...a year after it happened.

I just came across Adam Carolla from when the incident was recent...

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 6,885
Points 121,845
Clayton replied on Sat, Jul 14 2012 12:35 PM

lol@"they're not racist assholes, they're asshole-assholes"

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 6,885
Points 121,845
Clayton replied on Sun, Jul 15 2012 2:12 AM

@Being a libertarian bitch: If you found a pile of "the government's" cash lying on the side of the street, I think the right thing to do with it would be to pocket it and never tell anyone (and of course, spend it). You certainly should not turn it over to the government. If you could find a way to literally steal piles of cash from the government without the government's knowledge, ditto.

But, on balance, I don't think this logic extends. For example, I see people buying electric or hybrid vehicles in order to qualify for tax breaks. This is idiotic. You should never "take the carrot" unless it was already in your interests (and how can buying an overpriced, gutless piece of junk with limited range possibly already have been in your interest??)

Do the paperwork to minimize your taxes, of course, but I think you need to try to free up as much mental/physical energy as you can to route around "the System" completely. The government has created a million different carrot-and-stick routines and the more involved you get with playing their game, the less you're thinking about what your natural interests are without respect to the State's table-tilting. And the more of your time and energy you spend altering your plans to qualify for tax breaks, handouts or free lunches at government expense, the less time and energy you have to think about much more important issues, like how you can earn cash income untraceably, how to store and spend it safely, etc.

Clayton -

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 6,885
Points 121,845
Clayton replied on Sun, Jul 15 2012 2:36 AM

Erratum: "Jewish New Year begins on the Spring equinox."

I was smoking crack when I wrote that... or something. I edited it out of my follow-up posts but then a mod deleted those and posted this instead. Which I can't now edit. *sigh

Clayton -

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135
John James replied on Sun, Jul 15 2012 11:30 AM

The Keynesian Myth about World War II and Prosperity

A Libertarian Solution to Stop the Violence on the South Side of Chicago

Romney May Have Committed Felony Lying about Role with Bain

Cato Disgraces Itself AGAIN

George Selgin's Balls-Out, Over-the-Top Ferocious Attack on Rothbardian Banking Theory  (we get a mention!!)

Hillary Clinton Has Plane, Will Stir Up Trouble   (I mostly just liked the title)

The Richest Woman in Silicon Valley Is...

The Amazing Knott's Berry Farm Story

A Movie Really Needs to be Made Out of...this

Buffett Says Muni Bankruptcies Set To Climb

Oh Boy, A Letter from a Chicago Resident about the South Side

Are Bureaucrats Losing Control in America?

Page Translation Help

Lew Rockwell on Liberty versus Government (This is a really good one)

The Mysterious and Beautiful Woman Has Contacted Me

This is What a San Francisco Taxi Cab Ride Feels Like  (video of the month)

Upcoming on the Robert Wenzel Show

Updates on the Pauls...

Rand Paul Has Turned 'End the Fed' Into 'End the Moneybombs'

The Senate (Including Rand Paul) Vote to Extend $9 Billion in Loan Guarantees for the Benefit of Israel

Rand Paul Cozies Up to the Neocons and AIPAC

An Email from Ron Paul

Rand Paul Remains Silent on $9 Billion Dollar Giveaway to Israel

Ron Paul: Romney Campaign Scared to Let Me Speak at GOP Convention

Ron Paul: My Supporters Wouldn’t be Okay with Condoleezza Rice

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135
John James replied on Sun, Jul 15 2012 12:08 PM

Peter Schiff debates communist bimbo on student debt

h/t Scott Lazarowitz's Blog

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135
John James replied on Sun, Jul 15 2012 12:16 PM

I'm really liking this guy more and more...

Adam Kokesh: Dismantling Intellectual Property Myths

by Stephan Kinsella on July 10, 2012

Adam Kokesh, as noted in the post excerpted below, delivers a great short talk on IP. Related:

Adam Kokesh beautifully discerns and dismantles the numerous flaws surrounding intellectual property, as interpreted and enforced by the government, and the very negative role intellectual property has in limiting market competition and societal advancement. As Adam explains, intellectual property indeed does not help the “little guy,” it actually puts precisely the “little guy” at a severe disadvantage to corporate giants and those with the lawyers and resources to use arbitrary government intellectual property and patent laws (backed by government force, as with all laws) as a dangerous tool to reduce and/or prevent competition (and innovation).

Read more>>

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 6,885
Points 121,845
Clayton replied on Mon, Jul 16 2012 2:59 AM

Butler Shafer really knocks one out of the park on LRC...

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,417
Points 41,720
Nielsio replied on Mon, Jul 16 2012 9:52 PM

Regulation: Private Versus Public. This Week in Liberty, Episode 4. Guest: Rob (Autolykos)

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,133
Points 20,435
Jargon replied on Mon, Jul 16 2012 10:16 PM

They're out there...

Land & Liberty

The Anarch is to the Anarchist what the Monarch is to the Monarchist. -Ernst Jünger

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 5,118
Points 87,310
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator
DanielMuff replied on Mon, Jul 16 2012 10:45 PM

Google and the Council on Foreign Relations are teaming up.

"Drug cartels, money launderers and human traffickers run their sophisticated operations online — and Google Ideas, Google's think tank, is working with the Council on Foreign Relations and other organizations to look for ways to use technology to disrupt international crime."

Google search turns to human traffickers, drug cartels: Company's think tank looks for ways to use technology to disrupt international crime

Secret API, anyone?

To paraphrase Marc Faber: We're all doomed, but that doesn't mean that we can't make money in the process.
Rabbi Lapin: "Let's make bricks!"
Stephan Kinsella: "Say you and I both want to make a German chocolate cake."

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 6,885
Points 121,845
Clayton replied on Mon, Jul 16 2012 10:47 PM

Secret API, anyone?

Guess it's not so secret now. :-P

Clayton -

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

gotta love the "Conservative" non-answers:

She really seems to be in favor of "looking" at things.  "Looking" at things is definitely one thing she's for, that we can be sure of.

• | Post Points: 50
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,417
Points 41,720
Nielsio replied on Tue, Jul 17 2012 3:23 PM

'fraud. why the great recession' | one hour documentary produced by Jesús Huerta de Soto. Also includes Philipp Bagus

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,490
Wheylous replied on Tue, Jul 17 2012 4:03 PM

"Not enough people are paying taxes in this country" - The Republican Party

Well, at least we know who our enemies are :p

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 6,885
Points 121,845
Clayton replied on Tue, Jul 17 2012 6:24 PM

Impressive presentation!

What I would really like to see is a presentation that sets the growth in government spending and debt side-by-side with a "typical" American worker born in, say, 1930 and just follow him from his entry to the workforce right after WWII until his retirement and eventual death - his income and net worth will have grown over his lifetime but not nearly as rapidly as the government's spending and debt.

And, visually, I'd like to see it presented in a way that allows the viewer to keep track of his position in the sliding scale of monetary devaluation. One of the most insidious aspects of the continual inflation of the money supply is that people become desensitized to the fiscal irresponsibility of the government. It all just recedes into the background noise of the "natural and continuous rise in prices." Here's an example of how a continually increasing scale can be presented in a visual form that the viewer can "sense" in his mind's eye. I'm thinking of putting the four variables side-by-side: income, net-worth of a "typical" American worker over the duration of his lifetime versus the spending and debt of the Federal government over the same duration. 1930-present might be a good time-scale.

Clayton -

Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 806
Points 12,855

John James:
"Looking" at things is definitely one thing she's for, that we can be sure of.

Well, I don't know. I mean, we're probably safe saying that she's not against it (as she's not completely against anything), but I don't think you're right as you've written it. Nadda mean?

One thing is for true: the interviewer has more patience than I; how difficult is it to understand that he was asking if the government should protect people from theft? She does have a point at around 6:00 though, about it not being a fair comparison between an armed robber and the government. After all, the robber will take the money and run; the government is an institutional robber and will rob as much as it can.

Ah yes! The 'best interest' defense!

If I had a cake and ate it, it can be concluded that I do not have it anymore. HHH

Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 806
Points 12,855
ThatOldGuy replied on Tue, Jul 17 2012 10:42 PM

Insurance companies send fire crews to protect homes

For insurers, hiring their own crew is worth the cost. They spend thousands on well-equipped, federally rated firefighters, potentially saving hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of dollars to replace a home and its contents.

If I had a cake and ate it, it can be concluded that I do not have it anymore. HHH

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 5,118
Points 87,310
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator
DanielMuff replied on Wed, Jul 18 2012 12:52 AM

I thought that Larry King was dead.

To paraphrase Marc Faber: We're all doomed, but that doesn't mean that we can't make money in the process.
Rabbi Lapin: "Let's make bricks!"
Stephan Kinsella: "Say you and I both want to make a German chocolate cake."

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 6,885
Points 121,845
Clayton replied on Wed, Jul 18 2012 1:03 AM

I thought that Larry King was dead.

He did but they reanimated his skeleton.

Clayton -

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

Wheylous:
"Not enough people are paying taxes in this country" - The Republican Party

Well, at least we know who our enemies are :p

http://www.strike-the-root.com/why-minarchists-are-enemy

ThatOldGuy:
John James:
"Looking" at things is definitely one thing she's for, that we can be sure of.
Well, I don't know. I mean, we're probably safe saying that she's not against it (as she's not completely against anything), but I don't think you're right as you've written it. Nadda mean?

Not unless you're making a joke.  I was just poking fun at the way that's basically the only thing she said she was in favor of..."looking" at stuff.  It's like advocating "awareness".  (How do you criticize "looking into" a program or policy?)  It kind of encapsulates the entire non-answer MO of "conservatives".  The progressives at least get to be a tiny bit more forthcoming, because everyone knows they're in favor of more government, so they can basically come right out and advocate government growth.

Republicans have to be much more vague about it because they need to keep up the charade of "small government/ constitutionality, etc."  So you get all this talk about cutting spending, and reducing the debt, but never any specifics about what would be cut or reduced. 

Basically a bunch of generalized statements that essentially no one could argue with..."cut down on waste, fraud, and abuse"...or "we need to take a 'serious look' at xyz."

She no doubt fits right in as editor of TownHall.com

ThatOldGuy:
One thing is for true: the interviewer has more patience than I; how difficult is it to understand that he was asking if the government should protect people from theft? She does have a point at around 6:00 though, about it not being a fair comparison between an armed robber and the government. After all, the robber will take the money and run; the government is an institutional robber and will rob as much as it can.

He's used to it.  He's been doing this for decades.  Check out his channel.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,288
Points 22,350

The Voluntaryist Reader: http://voluntaryistreader.wordpress.com/ Libertarian forums that actually work: http://voluntaryism.freeforums.org/index.php
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

*can't remember the basics of the mandate*...*sigh*...*head in hands, rub face*..."I should probably go re-read the bill."

The douchbaggery is unreal.  He's a better youtube loser stereotype than Mitt Romney is a politician stereotype.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 6,885
Points 121,845
Clayton replied on Wed, Jul 18 2012 8:26 PM

In my inter-dimensional travels through the interwebs, I stumbled across this book which looks like it may be interesting to state-skeptics and just thought I'd share the reference.

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 197
Points 3,920
Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 806
Points 12,855

Pretty funny stuff here:

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 6,885
Points 121,845
Clayton replied on Thu, Jul 19 2012 2:24 AM

I posted this in a previous LC thread. I found it absolutely terrifying. They're seriously proposing a worldwide democracy. Seriously? Are they completely fucking insane??

Clayton -

Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 806
Points 12,855

I didn't realize that this was a repost. I think their message of democracy is more metaphorical than anything. Still, this is a very naive view of the world.

Page 3 of 6 (214 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS