Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

*** July 2012 low content thread ***

rated by 0 users
This post has 213 Replies | 11 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,679
Points 45,110
gotlucky replied on Tue, Jul 31 2012 10:15 AM

How Times Have Changed by Walter Williams

This is why we all like Walter Williams:

You say, "Williams, you're just old-fashioned and out of touch with modern society." Maybe so, but I think that a society's first line of defense is not the law but customs, traditions and moral values. These behavioral norms – transmitted by example, word of mouth, religious teachings, rules of etiquette and manners – represent a body of wisdom distilled over the ages through experience and trial and error. They include important legal thou-shalt-nots – such as shalt not murder, steal, lie or cheat – but they also include all those civilities one might call ladylike or gentlemanly behavior. Police officers and courts can never replace these social restraints on personal conduct. At best, laws, police and the criminal justice system are a society's last desperate line of defense.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 312
Points 4,325
Chyd3nius replied on Tue, Jul 31 2012 10:18 AM

It's a while from the last free banking/full reserves-fight, so... 

http://www.freebanking.org/2012/07/17/banknotes-are-not-and-have-never-pretended-to-be-warehouse-receipts/

-- --- English I not so well sorry I will. I'm not native speaker.
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,679
Points 45,110
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 6,885
Points 121,845
Clayton replied on Wed, Aug 1 2012 12:38 AM

http://voluntaryistreader.wordpress.com
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,679
Points 45,110
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 6,885
Points 121,845
Clayton replied on Wed, Aug 1 2012 1:54 PM

@gotlucky: Those are the kind of tax issues we need to really focus the debate on. They seem small but that's precisely why they are the perfect wedge issues. Taxing spectacular achievements. Taxing gifts (which are really charitable donations). Taxing death. These are all forms of tax that are unfair and odious even on the twisted logic of the State. And we need to always keep that out front that this is reprehensible on their own logic.

Of course, we maintain that taxation is immoral, period. But even on their own perverted way of thinking, these kinds of taxation are horrendous. Making a kid pay back a third of Olympic prize money?? This is how you keep society fair???

Clayton -

Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 806
Points 12,855

Making a kid pay back a third of Olympic prize money?? This is how you keep society fair???

Well, you know, "she didn't earn that."

If I had a cake and ate it, it can be concluded that I do not have it anymore. HHH

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 6,885
Points 121,845
Clayton replied on Wed, Aug 1 2012 2:02 PM

@That Old Guy: Oh yeah, I forgot.... she drove on roads.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,679
Points 45,110

Lmao. We have a new comedy act. You know, that's kind of what we are missing. We need a new George Carlin. He may not have been anti-state the way we are, but he was one of those fire-in-the-belly anti-state types Rothbard liked. Libertarianism really needs someone like that. Humor, well good humor, goes a long way.

Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 806
Points 12,855

Well, I don't know if he's libertarian (he's said he doesn't "get" politics), but Louis CK goes on a roll here. This is especially reminiscent of Jeffrey Tucker's It's a Jetsons World

If I had a cake and ate it, it can be concluded that I do not have it anymore. HHH

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,490

I drew inspiration for my valedictorian speech from him. But I had already heard/thought of the argument before seeing him.

Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 806
Points 12,855

From whom? Tucker or Louie-Louie-Louie-LouWah?

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,490

LCK

• | Post Points: 5
Page 6 of 6 (214 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 | RSS