Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Where could I find 'Lessons for the Young Economists?'

This post has 29 Replies | 4 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 126
Points 3,080
Luminar Posted: Mon, Jul 2 2012 6:44 PM

I mean the real, physical version. I tried reading it online but I can only focus on physical books; I despise eBooks of any sort. I'll get it via Amazon if there are no other options, but I'm certain that there's a place where I could find it. Was hoping someone here would know.

• | Post Points: 50
Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 126
Points 3,080
Luminar replied on Mon, Jul 2 2012 6:49 PM

Read the OP.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135
Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 126
Points 3,080
Luminar replied on Mon, Jul 2 2012 6:57 PM

Ya I did. I said I didn't want to order it online (either Amazon or the Mises store) unless that was the only way. I just want to know if there is an actual (physical) place I could get it from.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

Luminar:
I said I didn't want to order it online

Read the OP.

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 126
Points 3,080
Luminar replied on Mon, Jul 2 2012 7:01 PM

Um, what? I said if there were no other options...

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

The Mises Store ≠ Amazon

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 126
Points 3,080
Luminar replied on Mon, Jul 2 2012 7:05 PM

Then what is the Mises Store? If it's a real, physical store, then tell me where it is. Somehow I doubt that, though. :)

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

It's a store administered by the Mises Institute.  Amazon.com is administered by Amazon.com, Inc..  The two stores have nothing to do with each other.  The Mises Store is another option other than Amazon.com.

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 126
Points 3,080
Luminar replied on Mon, Jul 2 2012 7:11 PM

Dude, I know they're different. It doesn't matter; I'll order the book on either site if there is no other way. What I was asking is if there was a bookstore somewhere that had it.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

If you would read the OP, (as you so curtly instructed me to do) you'd see that's not what you said.  You'd see that in fact nowhere did you even suggest that you wanted a physical bookstore.  Nowhere did you say or even imply you "didn't want to order it online".

You asked: "Where could I find 'Lessons for the Young Economists?'  I mean the real, physical version."

You then went on to explain how you can't read ebooks and despise them, and that you would get it from Amazon if there were no other options.

I provided you with a link to where you could get EXACTLY what you asked for.  It was a link to "the real, physical version" of Lessons for the Young Economist, and it wasn't an Amazon link.  It was quite literally an other option to Amazon.

Perhaps before you go being so brusque with command responses, you might actually look at your own request and determine if what you were given in fact matches your request, exactly.

That being said, the Ludwig von Mises Institute is located at 518 West Magnolia Avenue in Auburn, Alabama.  I'm sure if you visit that physical location you will be able to find a phsyical copy of the the book that you can purchase...espcially during this summer session of the Mises University.

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 126
Points 3,080
Luminar replied on Mon, Jul 2 2012 7:22 PM

Oh, I guess it was misleading, then. What I was trying to imply is that I wanted to find it in a bookstore somewhere. Do you know of anywhere?

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

The Ludwig von Mises Institute, located at 518 West Magnolia Avenue in Auburn, Alabama.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 126
Points 3,080
Luminar replied on Mon, Jul 2 2012 7:24 PM

That's the only place?

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

Luminar:
Oh wait.  That place in Alabama, is that the only place?

I didn't say that.  I don't know the answer to that question.  You asked where a physical place was.  You even asked specifically about the Mises Store.  Here I'll quote you:

Luminar:
If it's a real, physical store, then tell me where it is.

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 126
Points 3,080
Luminar replied on Mon, Jul 2 2012 7:31 PM

I said that satirically. It doesn't matter if there is a real store that sells it; if it's on the moon it ain't worth it. Instead of providing technically "correct" answers, why not provide ones that could be useful to me? I'm not exactly in a position to visit Alabama right now.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

I'm sorry that you evidently have a problem asking for what you really want.  I honestly thought the link I provided at the beginning of this thread was what you were looking for.  At no point did I have any idea that you were looking for a physical bookstore until the 5th post when you claimed you said you "didn't want to order it online" all along.  (Which of course, you didn't.)

Next you asked for a physical location of a Mises Store.  So I gave you that too.

I was honestly trying to help you all this time.  Auburn is not the moon.  There are literally hundreds of thousands of people within walking distance of the Mises Institute.  Millions if you would actually be willing to drive an automobile (which, I'm sorry if I wrongly assume you would be willing to do.  Please don't come back and reprimand me for not giving you a location that you could literally throw a stone at from your current location.)  You could have easily been one of those millions.

Again, I can only utilize the information you give us.  If you want answers better suited to your specific wishes, it would be wise to actually provide those specific conditions, instead of just assuming people know exactly where you are, how far you're willing to travel, how much you're willing to pay, what kind of scenery you'd like on the way there, and whatever other prerequisites you deem necessary...and then responding in small, curt retorts when the answers you get aren't satisfactory to your standards.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 128
Points 2,945

Your local Barnes and Noble may have it, but why not order it online?  Do you not have an address?

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 126
Points 3,080
Luminar replied on Mon, Jul 2 2012 8:53 PM

Millions out of six billion people? Hehe, I'll just order it online. I looked it up at the bookstores but they don't have it.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

Luminar:
Millions out of six billion people?

6 billion sounds kind of arbitrary, but yes, hundreds of millions actually.  It really just depends on how long one is willing to drive.  Also, judging by site traffic, the odds are pretty good you would be in the United States.  Not to mention, even if you were outside of the United States, I'm not exactly sure why you would be coming to a site headquartered in the United States, frequented mostly by people in the United States, asking where you could physically go to buy a book, outside the United States.  (And not even mention this important detail.)

So I'm not quite sure where this "6 billion" number comes from.  But yes, judging by the evidence I mentioned above, one would assume you were looking for a place to purchase the book in the United States, and so yes, it's entirely possible that you were one of a few tens of millions out of maybe 310 million.

I don't see why that is so far fetched.  (Not to mention, I was simply answering the questions you asked.)

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,249
Points 70,775

This thread is EPIC!

My humble blog

It's easy to refute an argument if you first misrepresent it. William Keizer

Not Ranked
Posts 72
Points 1,490
Loppu replied on Tue, Jul 3 2012 6:26 AM

I think John James got trolled.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

Loppu:
I think John James got trolled.

I can pretty much guarantee if you spoke to someone with Jean-Luc Picard as an avatar you'd hear the opposite.

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 126
Points 3,080
Luminar replied on Tue, Jul 3 2012 6:54 PM

Yes, six billion may not be realistic due to language and culture barriers (imagine how many Europeans would want to go on this site), but I'm not willing to drive out of state (and it's quite likely that I'm not from Alabama compared to other states just by statistics) simply for the sake of a book that I could order online and have to wait a while. Btw, I just moved in to Georgia (the state) from Israel. What were the odds of that, brah?

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

Luminar:
I'm not willing to drive out of state simply for the sake of a book that I could order online and have to wait a while.

Once again, how the hell is anyone here supposed to know how far you're willing to drive?  Again, you didn't offer any of that information.  You created an entire thread just for the purpose of trying to avoid purchasing the book online.  Again, how the hell is anyone here supposed to know why you had such an interest in avoiding an online purchase and just how strong that interest was?

One more time:

I can only utilize the information you give us.  If you want answers better suited to your specific wishes, it would be wise to actually provide those specific conditions, instead of just assuming people know exactly where you are, how far you're willing to travel, how much you're willing to pay, what kind of scenery you'd like on the way there, and whatever other prerequisites you deem necessary...and then responding in small, curt retorts when the answers you get aren't satisfactory to your standards.

Btw, I just moved in to Georgia (the state) from Israel. What were the odds of that, brah?

I'm not sure there's a practical way to accurately give odds on something like that, brah.  But interestingly enough, that puts you in relatively close proximity to Alabama, no doesn't it, brah?

• | Post Points: 35
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,288
Points 22,350

Wow...all this crap and he lives one state over.

The Voluntaryist Reader: http://voluntaryistreader.wordpress.com/ Libertarian forums that actually work: http://voluntaryism.freeforums.org/index.php
Top 75 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,018
Points 17,760

Why not get the pdf for free, go to a private printing shop, and print it out for perhaps 30 bucks? Or even more depending on the price?

Its  a physical copy, and can be done near you.

/derail

“Since people are concerned that ‘X’ will not be provided, ‘X’ will naturally be provided by those who are concerned by its absence."
"The sweetest of minds can harbor the harshest of men.”

http://voluntaryistreader.wordpress.org

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 126
Points 3,080
Luminar replied on Wed, Jul 4 2012 12:56 PM
Page 1 of 1 (30 items) | RSS