Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Can you be anti-islam and a libertarian

rated by 0 users
This post has 45 Replies | 5 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 144
Points 4,300
you12 replied on Fri, Jul 6 2012 3:02 PM

I was talking about actual violence. Not tax.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 144
Points 4,300
you12 replied on Fri, Jul 6 2012 3:04 PM

Exactly Torsten. What do you do? Do you deny entry which is also borderline unlibertarian or force them to change. Cana libertarian society survive with the 'un'

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

you12:
I was talking about actual violence. Not tax.

Um...

you12:
I am assuming a minarchist state. Or some authority that applies to everybody. [...] A textbook libertarian society. Maximum freedoms. [...] What I meant was that you tax non muslims for associating with muslims while you don't tax muslims and dont provide them with any service.

1) Obviously you did say "tax" a bunch of times.  I can link to every post you made, if you like.

2) a "minarchist state" is not a "textbook libertarian society with maximum freedoms"...by definition.

3) taxes are (again, by definition) not voluntary, thus are (by definition) enforced by force or under the threat of force...which requires an initiation of force...which goes against libertarian principle.  i.e. there can be no such thing as a "tax" in a libertarian society.

Top 150 Contributor
Male
Posts 633
Points 11,275
Torsten replied on Fri, Jul 6 2012 4:29 PM

i would suppose people in a libertarian society would want to hire others with libertarian views and nonhostile idealogies to libertarianism?

I don't think the hiring preferences and  subsequent behaviour of employers won't be that much different then from in any other society. So will be the default behaviour of the newbies. In fact, given the absence of any centrally normatized educational institution it's likely they'll stick to the views they brought with them. Most likely they start their own, in case of the muslims I presume this would be around a mosque.  

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 639
Points 11,575
cab21 replied on Fri, Jul 6 2012 5:51 PM

with  freedom of voluntary contract, i think that would mean any kind of discrimination is ok for the libertarian and they can be anti-anything, am i wrong about this? perhaps the person that hires a person who happens to be a muslim will win out over the person who  choses not to hire muslims, but both are in the right about who they choose to hire?

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 3,055
Points 41,895

It isn't libertarians that "persecute" Islam.  It's Islam that "persecutes" everyone else.  Christian, Buddhist, atheist or otherwise, the Quran hates you all the same.  Or maybe only non-monotheists, depending on how you read into it.

Page 2 of 2 (46 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS