Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Libertarians love being "difficult"

rated by 0 users
This post has 9 Replies | 4 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 305
Points 7,165
Willy Truth Posted: Fri, Jul 6 2012 3:35 PM

Perhaps it's frivolous to continue to be so bothered by pop-culture trying to double as edgy political commentary by throwing its predictable two-cents into the ring, but this 'comedy' article and its commentors really got under my skin (check out the reasoning in #1 and the 'shout-out' to libertarians).

The logic expressed therein makes my brain want to implode. How do you argue with someone too dense or unwilling to even consider an opposite position? How do you break away from being prejudged a 'misanthropic libertarian kook' who is 'out of touch with reality'? Anyways, please give this a glance. 

http://www.cracked.com/blog/the-4-stupidest-things-people-love-getting-offended-about/

(I also think it's ironic that the article is about people getting offended when the author is bitching about people with differing views than his)

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 5,118
Points 87,310
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

"No one can say, with a straight face, that if they have a heart attack they'll be pissed off that the government forced an insurance on them that helped them survive that heart attack."

This is kinda like telling a woman, "why are you pissed about being raped; after all, you orgasmed." She didn't need to be raped to orgasm; and neither does someone need government-forced insurance to survive a heart attack.

Btw, there's also the issue of the unseen.

To paraphrase Marc Faber: We're all doomed, but that doesn't mean that we can't make money in the process.
Rabbi Lapin: "Let's make bricks!"
Stephan Kinsella: "Say you and I both want to make a German chocolate cake."

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,687
Points 22,990
Bogart replied on Fri, Jul 6 2012 4:14 PM

Unseen like in how government is going to give us health insurance?  The author is in a fairy tale where the belevolent bureaucrats manage all of money and resources and allocate them perfectly amongst the whole of humanity.  It is not just being difficult or stubbornly adhering to principal to dislike the take over of huge portions of our way of life by a bunch of bureaucrats.  Furthermore it is not being difficult or stubborn to want the entire system of health care to be subject to the "Calculation Problem" and as a result have ever escallating prices, ever worsening quality and ever fewer folks with access to the services.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 5,118
Points 87,310
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

I was referring to Bastiat. What we see is people being saved after having a heart attack. The unseen is possibly there being a method to preventing heart attacks or other medical issues being neglected.

To paraphrase Marc Faber: We're all doomed, but that doesn't mean that we can't make money in the process.
Rabbi Lapin: "Let's make bricks!"
Stephan Kinsella: "Say you and I both want to make a German chocolate cake."

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

Daniel Muffinburg:
"No one can say, with a straight face, that if they have a heart attack they'll be pissed off that the government forced an insurance on them that helped them survive that heart attack."

This is kinda like telling a woman, "why are you pissed about being raped; after all, you orgasmed." She didn't need to be raped to orgasm; and neither does someone need government-forced insurance to survive a heart attack.

Btw, there's also the issue of the unseen.

You need to add that to the comments section on that article.

Top 150 Contributor
Male
Posts 633
Points 11,275
Torsten replied on Sat, Jul 7 2012 3:50 AM

Furthermore it is not being difficult or stubborn to want the entire system of health care to be subject to the "Calculation Problem" and as a result have ever escallating prices, ever worsening quality and ever fewer folks with access to the services.

Got examples for this?

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 349
Points 5,915
Mtn Dew replied on Sat, Jul 7 2012 4:15 PM

I read that the other day. Cracked does this on a regular basis. It's a fairly enjoyable site but whenever it delves into politics it shows an obvious left of center/statist viewpoint. 

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,389
Points 21,840

Cracked.com is a progressiveleft of center leaning site that will always appeal to left of center leaning people, which is what a lot of / most comedy and arts is.  It is the custom.  They are appealing to their market and selling their conformation bias/ social signals.  There isn't much you can do.

I could already tell you without reading the site that the 4 offenses are going to be things that mostly "right wing" types get offended by, and not the left wing ---who also, believe it or not, are a pretty easily offended bunch.

I think I remember reading a while back how they made fun of conspiracy type people, but onl made fun of right wing conspiracies.

This is what people do, it's smart marketing, it is what sociolog is, we have to adjust to it, they are good capitalists/ entrepeneurs.

"As in a kaleidoscope, the constellation of forces operating in the system as a whole is ever changing." - Ludwig Lachmann

"When A Man Dies A World Goes Out of Existence"  - GLS Shackle

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,679
Points 45,110

vive la insurrection:

This is what people do, it's smart marketing, it is what sociology is, we have to adjust to it, they are good capitalists/ entrepeneurs.

And the irony is always lost on them.
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,389
Points 21,840

lol, from a class that is supposed to love irony to boot.  How's that for a head implosion....  I think we just hit postmodernism.

"As in a kaleidoscope, the constellation of forces operating in the system as a whole is ever changing." - Ludwig Lachmann

"When A Man Dies A World Goes Out of Existence"  - GLS Shackle

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS