Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

The Ultimate Krugman Take-Down

rated by 0 users
This post has 21 Replies | 7 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 16
Points 500
CapitalistDog Posted: Tue, Jul 10 2012 2:09 AM

From Zerohedge.com

Forget Ali - Frazier; ignore Santelli - Liesman; dismiss Yankees - Red Sox; never mind Silva - Sonnen; the new undisputed standard by which all showdowns will be judged happened in Spain over the weekend. During a debate on Europe's crisis, Pedro Schwartz (a mild-mannered Spanish 'Austrian' economics professor) took on the heavyweight Paul 'I coulda been a Fed Chair contender' Krugman, and - in our humble opinion - wiped the floor with his Keynesian philosophy. From the medicinal use of more debt to fix too much debt, to the Japanization of world economies and the demand-side bias of every- and any-thing - interested only in the short-term economic growth; the gentlemanly Spaniard notes, with regard to the European crisis, the fact that "Keynesians got us into this mess and now we have to sacrifice our principals so that they can get us out of this mess". Humble and generous in his praise - though definitively serious with his criticism - Schwartz opines: "Often Nobel prize winners are tempted to pontificate on matters that are outside the specialty in which they have excelled,"noting "the mantle of authority whereby what ever they say - whether sensible or not - is accepted with resignation from some and enthusiasm by others." Krugman's red-faced anger is evident at the conclusion as he even refused to shake Schwartz's hand after the debate.

For 15 minutes of both education and entertainment - this is as good as it gets...

• Starting from around 35:00 the Spanish professor praises and criticizes in a thoughtful and gentle tone
  • At around 39:00, he addresses the demand-side description of the world
  • Krugman's less-than-happy response (which sparks quite a rowdy argument) begins around 48:20

• | Post Points: 80
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

Lookin forward to this laugh

Reminds me of a recent post from Tom Woods:

No Wonder Krugman Won’t Debate Murphy

Watch economist Robert Murphy take apart Paul Krugman. Oh, wait, you can also see him do it here. And here. And here he hits another Keynesian. In this piece, Murphy writes: “In this short commentary, Krugman has outdone himself. He manages to blend in a combination of (a) blatant, demonstrable falsehood, (b) misleading innuendo, (c) attacks on the motivations of those who disagree with him, and to top it off (d) a hypocritical implied criticism of the very policies he himself supported.” And here Murphy smacks down Krugman on the Fed and employment data.

And that’s just this week.

Now check out KrugmanDebate.com.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,687
Points 22,990
Bogart replied on Tue, Jul 10 2012 8:21 AM

Yeah, but Krugman has a Nobel Prize.  Where is yours? ;-)

• | Post Points: 35
Not Ranked
Male
Posts 63
Points 940
Michel replied on Tue, Jul 10 2012 8:48 AM

Bogart:

So has Hayek, but he is dead now, so his followers can speak for him. smiley

After all, Keynes is dead too, but that doesn't stop Krugman from spreading mass misinformation.

If you want good answers, ask the right questions.
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

Bogart:

Schwartz opines: "Often Nobel prize winners are tempted to pontificate on matters that are outside the specialty in which they have excelled," noting "the mantle of authority whereby what ever they say - whether sensible or not - is accepted with resignation from some and enthusiasm by others."

Did you even read the summary?

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,922
Points 79,590
Autolykos replied on Tue, Jul 10 2012 9:22 AM

I'm pretty sure Bogart was being sarcastic.

The keyboard is mightier than the gun.

Non parit potestas ipsius auctoritatem.

Voluntaryism Forum

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,687
Points 48,995

Unfortunately, I wasn't in Madrid at the time (although, I wasn't even aware Krugman was speaking here), so I couldn't see this live.

Nevertheless, I think this is from the question and answers session of the same debate, here is Krugman's response when asked on his advocacy of the housing bubble: "I was joking."

• | Post Points: 20
Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 458
Points 6,985
gocrew replied on Tue, Jul 10 2012 10:05 AM

John James:
Did you even read the summary?

Did you even read his semi-colon/dash/closed parenthesis? ;-)

Every decent man is ashamed of the government he lives under - Mencken

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,679
Points 45,110
gotlucky replied on Tue, Jul 10 2012 11:18 AM

gocrew:

Did you even read his semi-colo/dash/closed parenthesis? ;-)

Lmao. Well played.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,389
Points 21,840

I actually like Krugman's answer / perspective around the 1:40ish mark to the inflation is theft question.  The real concern is the monoplization of money by a central power, not some guarantee by a currency

"As in a kaleidoscope, the constellation of forces operating in the system as a whole is ever changing." - Ludwig Lachmann

"When A Man Dies A World Goes Out of Existence"  - GLS Shackle

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 3,113
Points 60,515
Esuric replied on Tue, Jul 10 2012 12:54 PM

I thought the Austrian's performance in the debate was rather poor, and he came off as somewhat incoherent. He also failed to respond to Kruman's so-called "definitive refutation" of what he calls "supply-side economics." There is no clear, 1-1 relationship between high-powered money and prices; interest rates remain low in the face of high government spending due to the monetization of debt (alleviated the crowding-out-effect); no one believes that sharp cuts in fiscal expenditure yield automatic stimulative results. 

"If we wish to preserve a free society, it is essential that we recognize that the desirability of a particular object is not sufficient justification for the use of coercion."

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

gocrew:
Did you even read his semi-colon/dash/closed parenthesis? ;-)

Yeah I did.  That made it obvious it was meant in humor and he wasn't honestly suggesting a Nobel makes one automatically correct or something of that nature.

But the fact that Krugman has a Nobel was directly addressed and shot down in the debate (and then quoted in the summary).  So it doesn't quite work even as a joke.

It would be like someone saying: "JK Rowling has of course sold millions of copies.  But simply writing a popular best-selling book doesn't automatically mean you know what you're talking about...especially when you pontificate in matters outside of your specialty."  And someone responds "Oh, but she has a book that sold millions of copies!"

And the way the OP is formatted, it's kind of cumbersome to read and follow, so I was curious to know if he even read the full summary before posting that.

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,493
Points 39,355
Malachi replied on Tue, Jul 10 2012 5:40 PM
But the fact that Krugman has a Nobel was directly addressed and shot down in the debate (and then quoted in the summary).  So it doesn't quite work even as a joke. It would be like someone saying: "JK Rowling has of course sold millions of copies.  But simply writing a popular best-selling book doesn't automatically mean you know what you're talking about...especially when you pontificate in matters outside of your specialty."  And someone responds "Oh, but she has a book that sold millions of copies!"
Perhaps you hadnt noticed, but debates with keynesians do tend to follow that same pattern, i.e. Poor argument/refutation/repetition of poor argument.
Keep the faith, Strannix. -Casey Ryback, Under Siege (Steven Seagal)
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

That's why I was curious if he read the entire summary.

Not Ranked
Posts 69
Points 1,390
jodiphour replied on Tue, Jul 10 2012 7:33 PM

I nly listened to Krugman's response. He probably unfairly mistook the criticism of him as a personal attack. But I thought his response was spot on! ;)

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,922
Points 79,590
Autolykos replied on Wed, Jul 11 2012 6:26 AM

John James:
Yeah I did.  That made it obvious it was meant in humor and he wasn't honestly suggesting a Nobel makes one automatically correct or something of that nature.

But the fact that Krugman has a Nobel was directly addressed and shot down in the debate (and then quoted in the summary).  So it doesn't quite work even as a joke.

Apparently others thought it still worked as a joke.

John James:
And the way the OP is formatted, it's kind of cumbersome to read and follow, so I was curious to know if he even read the full summary before posting that.

So you're saying that, when you asked Bogart "Did you even ready the summary?", that wasn't your way of saying "WHAT ARE YOU STUPID OR SOMETHING?! GOD!!!"?

The keyboard is mightier than the gun.

Non parit potestas ipsius auctoritatem.

Voluntaryism Forum

Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 433
Points 6,720

Jonathan M. F. Catalán:

Nevertheless, I think this is from the question and answers session of the same debate, here is Krugman's response when asked on his advocacy of the housing bubble: "I was joking."

Perfect bit! :)

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

From EconomicPolicyJournal:

Krugman Double Feature Punch Out

Travis Holte emails:

Krugman confronted on Murphy challenge. Hilarity ensues.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 297
Points 5,250
Rcder replied on Sat, Jul 14 2012 4:11 PM

Didn't Murphy publicly withdraw his prediction of high inflation?  I mean, obviously an expansion in the money supply won't affect prices if it's being stored in bank reserves because the Fed is paying them above-the-market interest rates to do so.

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 452
Points 7,620

Paul Krugman is a pompous jackass. The fawning over him towards the end was disgusting.

I only listened to Pedro Schwartz's speech and his answer at the end. I like how he pointed out the vilification of Austrian/free market people as really just being callous towards those poor unemployed individuals. Talk about ad hominem and straw man! Even if they didn't care, that doesn't refute the merits of their arguments.

http://thephoenixsaga.com/
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135
John James replied on Sun, Jul 15 2012 10:52 PM

DiLorenzo posted a nice cut of the best segment of the debate on LRC Blog:

Spanish Austrian School economist Pedro Schwartz exposes Paul Krugman as the intellectual dinosaur that he is. (Video includes a cameo appearance by Mark Thornton).

Page 1 of 1 (22 items) | RSS