Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Audio books / Librivox

rated by 0 users
This post has 9 Replies | 4 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 3
Points 75
kenneth Posted: Wed, Jul 11 2012 10:27 AM

Hi everyone,

I'm incredibly impressed by the collection of free books and articles that is available here at the von Mises site. However, my preferred way to digest books is in audio format, as I am then able to get through a lot of material while cooking, doing dishes, etc.

I noticed that there audio book versions of some publications can be found at:

http://mises.org/media/categories/159/Audio-Books

Unfortunately, I can't find any way to download and copy these to my portable device. It appears that these are intended to be played in the browser, which seems unnecessarily restrictive if that is indeed the case.

More generally, I am wondering if there are any legal/copyright barriers to producing audio book versions of these writings for distribution via, say, librivox.org. As far as I can tell, most of the publications on this site are not (yet) in the public domain, maybe with the exception of some of von Mises' early writings, which were published before 1923.

I'd appreciate any suggestions on getting these audio books onto my mp3 player and thoughts on starting Librivox projects. Thanks!

• | Post Points: 50
Not Ranked
Male
Posts 76
Points 1,215
gamma_rat replied on Wed, Jul 11 2012 10:34 AM

Hi

Where it says "Available for download as Mp3" on the audio book's page, right-click the highlighted "Mp3" link and click "save link as".

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." - Sir Humphrey Appleby
  • | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 3
Points 75
kenneth replied on Wed, Jul 11 2012 11:59 AM

Hmmm, I don't see such links anywhere, but your suggestion led me to a solution. There is an rss feed associated with each audio book. When I click on the feed link (in Firefox), I am presented with a page containing links to the constituent mp3 files.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 985
Points 21,180
hashem replied on Wed, Jul 11 2012 12:46 PM

I "read" most of my books in audiobook format. Many of them come from Mises.org. I acknowledged in another thread how it used to be obvious and user-friendly to download media files from Mises.org, but that recently a deliberate movement has been undertaken to make the site unnavigable and to make it extremely annoying at best, or downright difficult to impossible at worst, to download media.

Show me a few books you would like to download and I will give you step by step instructions to get them onto your device(s), then the steps should be pretty consistent for other books. Also, what device(s) will you transfer the media to? Specific models (i.e. samsung galaxy s3, transformer tf300t, iphone 4s, ipod 3rd generation, dell xyz-model laptop, macbook xyz-edition) please.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect. —Mark Twain
  • | Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
Male
Posts 633
Points 11,275
Torsten replied on Wed, Jul 11 2012 1:18 PM

You need to click through on each chapter and then there is a "mp3" hyperlink that you have to right-click in order to download it. 

I personally perfer to listen to audios over reading. Simply because it's easier to direct cognitive resource towards, the text when listening. Reading can however also have a place, when you are going over and over the same portion of text and want to reflect about it. 

AFAIK I know, while it's not "completely" free, part of the copyright has been retracted. That means you may download and copy almost any publication, here.  

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,249
Points 70,775

Maybe this link will help:

http://media.mises.org/mp3/audiobooks/

My humble blog

It's easy to refute an argument if you first misrepresent it. William Keizer

Not Ranked
Posts 3
Points 75
kenneth replied on Wed, Jul 11 2012 3:50 PM

Wow, thanks Dave! A directory listing is very helpful.

To other responders: Thanks for all the tips, but as I mentioned in my second post, the rss feed route works quite nicely (at least in Firefox).

For the record, I use a Sansa Clip+ and run the KDE desktop (Linux) on my PC. Transferring the files to the device is not a problem -- I'm all set now. :^)

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

Another easy way to grab most of them is from the Mises iTunes U site...

iTunesU.mises.org

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,493
Points 39,355
Malachi replied on Wed, Jul 11 2012 5:26 PM
The costs of war seminar is available at itunes u, from LVMI, and one of the files is Eugene Sledge, the author of With the Old Breed. I highly reccomend it.
Keep the faith, Strannix. -Casey Ryback, Under Siege (Steven Seagal)
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

In the interest of resource collection, the LibertyInOurTime youtube channel includes playlists of almost every LvMI conference (among plenty of other great stuff.)  So if you're interested in forwarding a conference to anyone in an easy-to-listen format, run a search for that name along with the channel.

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS