Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Here's a tough one: probable child sex

rated by 0 users
This post has 44 Replies | 9 Followers

Not Ranked
Male
Posts 6
Points 150
Hunter replied on Wed, Jul 18 2012 4:37 PM

Watching the one man cry saying that he doesn't want to go to jail, made me almost want to cry for him.  I felt like throwing up watching this, 2 consentual human beings, both competent enough to make decisions for themselves, and one of the them in the end has to go to prison with murderers and rapists.  It is even more disgusting knowing that the government used entrapment against these men and ruined the rest of their lives.  I now have to go to sleep tonight knowing this is a reality and knowing that these men have literally lost everything for doing a completely consentual act, violence-free.  Just terrible.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,490
Wheylous replied on Wed, Jul 18 2012 4:52 PM

When a being is capable of acting (purposeful behavior), then controlling him without his will is slavery. There's no justifying human action one way or the other, but attempting to justify slavery in attempt to uphold morality is severely intellectually bankrupt.

Hashem also in the meantime accidentally debunks minarchy in 2 sentences.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 6,885
Points 121,845
Clayton replied on Wed, Jul 18 2012 4:54 PM

@Hunter: Well, I wouldn't go that far with the sympathy - after all, it is widely condemned within the culture and they knew the risks they were taking. And there are much, much worse abuses by the State occurring every day. But I think there is definitely room for cultural criticism on this issue - who inscribed the number 18 (or 16 or 14 or 12 depending on where you live) into a tablet of stone and said "thou shalt not"? It seems obvious to me that emotional/psychological/physiological tests are a better legal basis for determining whether a young person can consent to sex than trying to pick the magic, one-size-fits-all number out of a hat.

Clayton -

http://voluntaryistreader.wordpress.com
  • | Post Points: 5
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 421
Points 7,165

When a being is capable of acting (purposeful behavior), then controlling him without his will is slavery. There's no justifying human action one way or the other, but attempting to justify slavery in attempt to uphold morality is severely intellectually bankrupt.

Hashem also in the meantime accidentally debunks minarchy in 2 sentences.

QFT.

The only one worth following is the one who leads... not the one who pulls; for it is not the direction that condemns the puller, it is the rope that he holds.

Not Ranked
Posts 63
Points 915
acft replied on Wed, Jul 18 2012 10:40 PM

Lady Saiga said:

Am I wrong about any of this? 

I agree with most of what you said. I had linked here in an earlier post, I am curious about what you think about the articles. You can respond here or with a pm if its about anything other than the child sex section.

Page 2 of 2 (45 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS