Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Sexism at McDonald's

rated by 0 users
This post has 1 Reply | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 5,118
Points 87,310
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator
DanielMuff Posted: Tue, Jul 17 2012 12:55 AM

I'm reading Fast Food Nation: The Dark Side of the All-American Meal, and I found the following excerpt on McDonald's hilarious: 

The McDonald's brothers now aimed for a much broader clientele. They employed only young men, convinced that female workers would attract teenage boys to the restaurant and drive away other customers. Families soon lined up to eat at McDonald's.

To paraphrase Marc Faber: We're all doomed, but that doesn't mean that we can't make money in the process.
Rabbi Lapin: "Let's make bricks!"
Stephan Kinsella: "Say you and I both want to make a German chocolate cake."

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

It's everywhere.  I think it was Stossel interviewing some expert years ago who pointed out all kinds of examples like this.  One I remember was the waiting room attendents.  It's virtually a 100% female position.  The guy was explaining how of course waiting is boring and annoying, and studies have shown both males and females respond better and have better moods when dealing with women in this situation.  (Of course it helps if they're particularly attractive as well, obviously.)

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (2 items) | RSS