Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

morality of killing

rated by 0 users
This post has 9 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 639
Points 11,575
cab21 Posted: Mon, Jul 23 2012 1:16 PM

when is it moral to kill?

• | Post Points: 65
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,490
Wheylous replied on Mon, Jul 23 2012 3:55 PM

Imo never. But that's because I believe in restitution, not retribution. I have a vague suspicion retribution has some inherent contradictions, but I haven't written it out.

Edit: Woopsies. I forgot what MaikU mentions below. If it is necessaty to kill to stop an aggression against you, it's justified.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,289
Points 18,820
MaikU replied on Mon, Jul 23 2012 4:42 PM

when the person is agressing against you and you believe that your life is at risk, then murder is justifiable. But killing is never moral according to my philosophy.

"Dude... Roderick Long is the most anarchisty anarchist that has ever anarchisted!" - Evilsceptic

(english is not my native language, sorry for grammar.)

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,490
Wheylous replied on Mon, Jul 23 2012 4:49 PM

Forgot about that bit, MaikU. Added it up there ^

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 639
Points 11,575
cab21 replied on Mon, Jul 23 2012 7:52 PM

so does it justify people that go

"the existance of a state is a permanant agression against me as long  a state exists, therefore i am justified to  go and kill anyone who supports a state and anyone in the act of supporting or working for a state"?

i'm sort of gray on this anarchy take that seems to be that the state is a hostage-taker and state support as hostage taking support.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,493
Points 39,355
Malachi replied on Mon, Jul 23 2012 7:58 PM
Technically, only when God commands you. Its moral to use lethal force to stop an attack, but youre not trying to kill the guy, youre trying to stop him. If he dies, thats just a bad outcome that is excusable, if you did everything else right.
Keep the faith, Strannix. -Casey Ryback, Under Siege (Steven Seagal)
  • | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,493
Points 39,355
Malachi replied on Mon, Jul 23 2012 8:00 PM
cab21:

so does it justify people that go

"the existance of a state is a permanant agression against me as long  a state exists, therefore i am justified to  go and kill anyone who supports a state and anyone in the act of supporting or working for a state"?

i'm sort of gray on this anarchy take that seems to be that the state is a hostage-taker and state support as hostage taking support.

No, thats ridiculous. Its only moral to kill an agent of the state when it would be moral to kill anyone else. That is, unintentionally, as a necessary byproduct of defensive actions taken in response to aggression or the actual imminent threat of aggression.
Keep the faith, Strannix. -Casey Ryback, Under Siege (Steven Seagal)
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,490
Wheylous replied on Mon, Jul 23 2012 8:48 PM

I do not believe you can morally kill agents of the state unless they threaten your own life.

Moreover, while I may consider it morally acceptable to resists arrest by the IRS and have a huge car chace, I in no way advocate it. So there's also the difference between what is moral and what is advisable.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,389
Points 21,840

You kill crap all the time.  You're a hetrotroph, a natural born killa.

My two cents:

Morality is a bunch of hocus pocus.  The only people who take it seriously are intellectuals who out thought themselves.  It's an antique word from insignifacant people in the horse and buggy days, probably best to leave it with other things like kings, religion,  astrology, alchemy, and Ptolemic solar systems.  

But I grew tired of getting in debates these meta topics a long time ago, and I probably won't defend this statement.  I just wanted to make the assertion, because it's been awhile since I've done so outright.

To take it a step further:

I'll bet if you really look into the libertarians be it

Rothbard, Block, or Hoppe's hyper-rationalism

Misean consequentialism

or Hayek's  Scottish "natural law" morality

They are probably at their core just ill fated and muddle headed amoral systems trying to illustrate a certain "logic of success" - so no reason to freak out   when someone says "morality is nonsense".  I think all forms of pragmatism, naturalism, and consequentialism tried to say the same thing, all be it in a craptacular and wrong way.  Of the three, and as usual, Mises probably gets it most correct.

"As in a kaleidoscope, the constellation of forces operating in the system as a whole is ever changing." - Ludwig Lachmann

"When A Man Dies A World Goes Out of Existence"  - GLS Shackle

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,679
Points 45,110
gotlucky replied on Tue, Jul 24 2012 12:15 AM

Wheylous:

Imo never. But that's because I believe in restitution, not retribution. I have a vague suspicion retribution has some inherent contradictions, but I haven't written it out.

I've yet to see any contradictions with retribution, but restitution has no principle that guides it. There is a human inclination towards restitution, as when given the option, would you rather burn down your neighbor's house in retribution, or would you rather he pay to restore your house and your possessions?

Most people would choose the latter, but most disputes are not clear cut as to what the proper amount of restitution ought to be. Any amount ends up being entirely arbitrary, which is fine if that is what you are okay with. So, while "an eye for an eye" may be some arbitrary rule, it can be applied consistently to disputes to get some idea of equitable retaliation. And as Rothbard pointed out, the threat of retribution is the source of restitution.

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS