Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Just registered for this class

rated by 0 users
This post has 20 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 496
Points 8,945
grant.w.underwood Posted: Thu, Jul 26 2012 3:42 PM

Econ 4020. Money and Financial Institutions. 3 hours. Nature and functions of money; modern banking institutions and central banks; credit control and monetary stabilization. Prerequisite(s): ECON 1100-1110.

This is going to be interesting haha.

Eat the apple, fuck the Corps. I don't work for you no more!
  • | Post Points: 50
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,490
Wheylous replied on Thu, Jul 26 2012 5:34 PM

You sir live in North Texas.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,490
Wheylous replied on Thu, Jul 26 2012 5:35 PM

I was considering posting the classes my university offers up here so that I could get recommendations. I think that the 3rd class I take could be Econometrics I!

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,612
Points 29,515

I took E305 "Money and Banking" a few summers ago.  It was miserable.  I mean, I already knew almost everything we went over, but it was all BS.  The Professor made a joke about how the Fed's back is against the wall as it has no more options for stimulation.

My semseter looks like

Y-490 - My political seminar with the topic of "Happiness" - We're reading Huxley, Freud, Rousseau, Sencea, David Brooks,
C-200 - Latin IIi
P-366 - "Philosophy of Action" - Both books for this class have LvM in the index, but don't speak favorably of his philosophy (concerning action and rationality).
P-340* - Classics in Ethics
P-470 - Knowing How vs. Knowing That - Bertrand Russell, oh yeah!
M-401 - History of the Beatles

I am waitlisted for P-340 so I might not actually get in (if I don't get in in the first week, then I will drop it)

"The Fed does not make predictions. It makes forecasts..." - Mustang19
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 496
Points 8,945

You in north Texas too?

Ya I was going to get advice on which philosophy class to take because there were a lot of good options.  I ended up just picking a history of philosophy because I'm not sure how I'm going to like philosophy in general.    I'll probably ask which Econ class to take next too.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,490
Wheylous replied on Thu, Jul 26 2012 5:49 PM

I live very far from North Texas. Why are you taking so many philosophy classes? To me it seems that topic can be studied independently if needed. Sorry if I seem judgmental.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,612
Points 29,515

Why are you taking so many philosophy classes? To me it seems that topic can be studied independently if needed. Sorry if I seem judgmental.

I decided to join a concurrent degree program.  My polysci degree is done with the senior seminar and I can crank out the Philosophy degree in two semesters.  So, I will have two equally useless degrees upon graduation since I can use my gen ed credits for both.  TWO equally useless degrees...not just one. 

I also used to think that both topics (PolySci and Philo) can be studied by one's self, but have kind of grown out of thinking that I am as perceptive of a reader as I think.  There is also the "playing the establishment game" angle that prevents the "rebel" from advancing in the intellectual realm.  I want to write this kind of stuff anyway, might as well challenge them in their own arena.  Pythagoras used to say that virtue cannot be learned without guidance from the wise.  I also have moved away from embracing subjective perception as the be all end all of social interaction.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 496
Points 8,945

I'm thinking about getting a 6th class.  You have any problems doing 18 credit hours?

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,612
Points 29,515

I'm thinking about getting a 6th class.  You have any problems doing 18 credit hours?I'm thinking about getting a 6th class.  You have any problems doing 18 credit hours?

I, uhh, yeah, 18 hours would be hard.  I am comfortable with so many this time because I know the professor for my senior seminar fairly well.  He called me the "resident libertarian" in class last year and some kid used, in his project, a reference with my last name and he thought the kid was referencing me.

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,439
Points 44,650
Neodoxy replied on Thu, Jul 26 2012 7:12 PM

"TWO equally useless degrees...not just one."

... You sir, are a man of few misconceptions.

At last those coming came and they never looked back With blinding stars in their eyes but all they saw was black...
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,612
Points 29,515

"TWO equally useless degrees...not just one."

... You sir, are a man of few misconceptions.

haha, yeah.  To be honest, "business degrees" will take you about as far.

Unless, you are graduating in a physical science (biology, chemistry, physics, computers, engineering, etc.)  you will have almost no use for a degree.

The arts are for the idle class.

• | Post Points: 50
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,439
Points 44,650
Neodoxy replied on Thu, Jul 26 2012 7:43 PM

Srsly,

Either your getting trained for a fairly specific career, usually in a handful of fields (medicine, computer sciences, engineering) or you're not really going for any real vocational purpose. Liberal arts in particular is 90% crap.

Trade schools and community colleges FTW... Yeah, I'm a massive hypocrite.

At last those coming came and they never looked back With blinding stars in their eyes but all they saw was black...
Top 75 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,018
Points 17,760

Neodoxy +1.

Liberal arts degrees are only if you have enough money and want to take those classes to better yourself. However if you want to get a degree out of highschol for a specific career, dont waste your time on a philosophy degree. That can be learned at home, or later.

“Since people are concerned that ‘X’ will not be provided, ‘X’ will naturally be provided by those who are concerned by its absence."
"The sweetest of minds can harbor the harshest of men.”

http://voluntaryistreader.wordpress.org

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,490
Wheylous replied on Thu, Jul 26 2012 9:09 PM

Unless, you are graduating in a physical science (biology, chemistry, physics, computers, engineering, etc.)  you will have almost no use for a degree.

You think scientists have ready jobs? From what I understand it's a profession with tons of uncertainty and low pay.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,612
Points 29,515

You think scientists have ready jobs? From what I understand it's a profession with tons of uncertainty and low pay.

Um, all I said was that you need a degree for those fields (I should have inculded medicine as well).  I made no claim as to the state of their job markets.

It would seem that chemistry and computer science have large and growing job market opportunities.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

Aristophanes:
To be honest, "business degrees" will take you about as far.

That depends on how interested the student is in going the track the business degree leads to.  Business degrees can be very lucrative if you're interested in playing the game...and having that kind of career/life.

I can pretty much guarantee your polysci and philo will never offer you any such option.  Not even close.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 75 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,018
Points 17,760

with ur poli sci degree or philosophy degree you can try becoming a teacher. it would be awesome to have an austrian teacher teach the students the truth. though ud have to follow government curriculum....

“Since people are concerned that ‘X’ will not be provided, ‘X’ will naturally be provided by those who are concerned by its absence."

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,612
Points 29,515

That depends on how interested the student is in going the track the business degree leads to.  Business degrees can be very lucrative if you're interested in playing the game...and having that kind of career/life.

I can pretty much guarantee your polysci and philo will never offer you any such option.  Not even close.

So you made a post just to bash me, huh?  You're such a big person.  And an authority on job markets and uses of degrees apparently.  What are you trained in?

Have you met people who "play the game"?  I'd rather die in the street starving reading Heidegger.

There are only so many management positions available at the local burger kings and walmarts for all of the business BA's out there.  I think that business degrees are among the most popular.  They're over twice as popular social sciences and history.  Who wouldn't want to swim with that crowd.

From what I can tell, the business majors (honors) at my university take their senior year to actually start a corporation.  The University allows them to work with the law school to develop contracts and business plans for use in the next year.  (The business school costs roughly four times what the others do.  The law school is even more).  Degrees in (Poly Sci, Philo, Soci, Anth, Classics, Eng, et al) "thinking" simply allows prospective employers to know that you are trainable.  In other words, rather than going to school to be trained in filing TPS reports, you can go and learn other things, then still get the TPS jobs.  The things you need are accounting and communications...if you need classes to use basic computer programs you should kill yourself.

with ur poli sci degree or philosophy degree you can try becoming a teacher. it would be awesome to have an austrian teacher teach the students the truth. though ud have to follow government curriculum....

hahhhaahahahahhahah.  You're right.

I'd be ok being a researcher at a University (if they'd have me), but teaching the average little snot about morality or political realism isn't for me.

Honestly, I am hoping to consult for either financials or for energy companies.  Obama was a "consultant" at Business International Corp. straight outta college.  I can't be sure, but I think what he did there was help monitor and make useful the leftist unions in third world countries to a few big corporations that were moving in.  There is private use for political science degrees.

Another thing, Bertrand Russell points out that every science has been derived from philosophy at some point (mathematics, psychology, economics).  The real value of philosophy lies in its inherent inquiry of the unknown.  People who are thouroughly trained in TPS reports and accounting (probably) aren't going to be thinking outside of the "practical" box; they simply don't know how.  There is little "market value" for philosophy, it is meant to be satisfying in the heads of those who study it.  Its potential is unlimited indeed.

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,439
Points 44,650
Neodoxy replied on Thu, Jul 26 2012 10:45 PM

"So you made a post just to bash me, huh?  You're such a big person.  And an authority on job markets and uses of degrees apparently.  What are you trained in?

Have you met people who "play the game"?  I'd rather die in the street starving reading Heidegger."

".if you need classes to use basic computer programs you should kill yourself."

Lmao, this is gonna be fun.

Top 75 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,018
Points 17,760

You dont need classes to learn how to be a computer builder, or to become a programmer, but the thing is, you look better if youre certified/degree.

Though i do hate the concept of certification.

Not Ranked
Posts 77
Points 1,150

As an engineer with a second degree in mathematics, people throw money at me. ^_^

Part time contractual work ftw!

Page 1 of 1 (21 items) | RSS