Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Interesting post from Steve Landsberg on Median income statistics

rated by 0 users
This post has 7 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 7,105
Points 115,240
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator
nirgrahamUK Posted: Mon, Jul 30 2012 5:44 AM

http://www.thebigquestions.com/2012/07/30/the-numbers-racket/

Where there is no property there is no justice; a proposition as certain as any demonstration in Euclid

Fools! not to see that what they madly desire would be a calamity to them as no hands but their own could bring

• | Post Points: 50
Not Ranked
Posts 6
Points 105
Bukujutsu replied on Mon, Jul 30 2012 8:17 AM

Unfortunately it may be inaccurate:

http://esoltas.blogspot.de/2012/07/inaccurate-consequences.html

I'm more interested in the (alleged) divergence between productivity and wages, but that may be off topic. 

• | Post Points: 5
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 421
Points 7,165

I've always disliked the median income statistic. Wouldn't it be more useful in combination with knowing the mean income, the range of incomes, and the number of income earners? Then the statistic does tell some relevant information. Would the mean income actually be more effective at demonstrating what incomes are doing over time better, or not?

The only one worth following is the one who leads... not the one who pulls; for it is not the direction that condemns the puller, it is the rope that he holds.

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,439
Points 44,650
Neodoxy replied on Mon, Jul 30 2012 10:49 AM

I think no matter what he hits on two very important factors in the entire matter. Firstly that benefits have been growing a lot, this is especially relevant because of the increasing costs of healthcare, but also that many new jobs which have been created in the past few decades are high-skill jobs, part of what get's me nervous about the fact that a lot of people around here seem de facto against any college education.

At last those coming came and they never looked back With blinding stars in their eyes but all they saw was black...
  • | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 6
Points 105
Bukujutsu replied on Mon, Jul 30 2012 11:48 AM

I think there's certainly good reason to be against college education in its current form.

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,439
Points 44,650
Neodoxy replied on Mon, Jul 30 2012 5:12 PM

What do you find most egregious about the process?

At last those coming came and they never looked back With blinding stars in their eyes but all they saw was black...
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 257
Points 4,920
Prime replied on Mon, Jul 30 2012 8:08 PM

I find it egregious that most anyone can qualify for a direct loan backed by taxpayers without any discernment for their ability to repay. Seriously, what are the qualifications for a student loan? I can't think of any more worthless loans (including the subprime lending on homes) than giving an 18 year old kid with average high school grades and no direction access to thousands of dollars in low interest loans.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,490
Wheylous replied on Tue, Jul 31 2012 8:14 AM

giving an 18 year old kid with average high school grades and no direction access to thousands of dollars in low interest loans.

When you put it that way, it does sound silly.

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS