Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Hiroshima

rated by 0 users
This post has 36 Replies | 6 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 41
Points 980
jordan161 Posted: Tue, Jul 31 2012 10:38 PM

Having just finished reading a book on the Japanese surrender during World War II, I became curious about the libertarian position on the bombing of Hiroshima. Is there a general libertarian consensus on the legitimacy (should the bomb have been dropped) of the bombing, and if so, what is it and what justifications are there for it? Feel free to add your personal opinion.

Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 470
Points 7,025
Vitor replied on Tue, Jul 31 2012 11:24 PM

The consensus among libertarians is that it was a horrible thing and a great example how brutal the state can be.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 806
Points 12,855
ThatOldGuy replied on Tue, Jul 31 2012 11:42 PM

If you're interested, Murray Rothbard has a good little essay on war in general, and nuclear weapons in particular, in his Egalitarianism as A Revolt Against Nature, and Other Essays called War, Peace and the StateBut, yeah, indiscriminate mass destruction (usually) isn't regarded highly by libertarians.

If I had a cake and ate it, it can be concluded that I do not have it anymore. HHH

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 203
Points 3,195

The conventional wisdom held by most "conservatives" is that the alternative to dropping the bombs was to carry out a protracted invasion of Japan, costing many more lives, including US soldiers (important), Japanese soldiers (unimportant), and even Japanese civilians (important only insofar as the heroic image of Uncle Sam is at stake). I don't feel that I have a strong enough historical grasp to refute or confirm this justification, but as was already said, the ability to condemn hundreds of thousands to death and many more to horrible disfigurement based on some quick arithmetic is a salient example of State brutality. Libertarians tend to be against the state, and while one could potentially justify the decision that was made based upon the strictures of that particular episode, it is also undeniable that without the State, there would have been no World War to begin with.

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,687
Points 22,990
Bogart replied on Wed, Aug 1 2012 8:15 AM

My opinion is the media has used the complete immorality of nuclear weapons to divert peoples attention from the equally immoral issue of killing non-combatants using non-nuclear means.  Since the start of the colonly in Jamestown VA the white people have been using biological weapons (disease tainted blankets and what not) and more up front means to wipe out the native populations in the area now known as the USA.  This process continued into the 20th century with such horrible examples of genocide like the "Trail of Tears" and "Wounded Knee".  But closer to today we have all of the civillian carnage in Iraq where by US Government number at least 100,000 people were killed by the US Military and Afghanistan where drones patrol the skies killing unknown numbers of "Al Queda". 

Granted the US Government is far from alone and probably not even in the top 5 in massacring its own "citizens".  The Soviets and Chinese Communists along with Hitler were worse.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 814
Points 16,290

They were bad because the U.S. gov started the war (see the Fruits and Seeds of Infamy) and it had no right to occupy Japan.  2nd, the bombings done to the civilian population of Hiroshima and Nagasaki were not necessary, even if one didn't care about morality because it's not like Japan would've killed anywhere near as many civilians on the U.S. as the U.S. gov killed in Japan.  The Emperor said that he would never even consider an invasion against civilian Americans on the continent because he believed American civilians on the continent were too armed.

Not Ranked
Posts 41
Points 980
jordan161 replied on Wed, Aug 1 2012 11:55 AM

Thanks for the book link! I plan to read it, and I have been looking for a revisionist book that goes well beyond the "embargo-is-aggression" argument.

I must ask if you've considered the Korean, Japanese, and Manchurian civilians in the occupied territories. The Japanese were unquestionably brutal in their occupation of these countries, unleashing diseases on the populace, in addition to the mass indiscriminate slaughter of civilians (much of which is quite disturbing to read; read Hidden Horrors: Japanese War Crimes in World War II). Their lives need to be factored in as well.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,679
Points 45,110
gotlucky replied on Wed, Aug 1 2012 12:53 PM

jordan161:

I must ask if you've considered the Korean, Japanese, and Manchurian civilians in the occupied territories. The Japanese were unquestionably brutal in their occupation of these countries, unleashing diseases on the populace, in addition to the mass indiscriminate slaughter of civilians (much of which is quite disturbing to read; read Hidden Horrors: Japanese War Crimes in World War II). Their lives need to be factored in as well.

Some amount of Japanese soldiers were brutal and aggressed against civilians...therefore what?

Not Ranked
Posts 41
Points 980
jordan161 replied on Tue, Aug 21 2012 12:00 AM

Ugh, didn't see this until now - sorry for the late reply.

As for your question, I was responding to No2statism, who argued that the use of the bomb was unjustified because more Japanese "civilians" would have died than American civilians, apparently because of some quote by the Japanese emperor. Since he was considering civilians as some sort of sanctified category, I brought up the colonial civilian casualties as a result of the delayed surrender.

Top 75 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,018
Points 17,760

Their surrender was inevitable.

People just wanted to see what that weapon could do others.

“Since people are concerned that ‘X’ will not be provided, ‘X’ will naturally be provided by those who are concerned by its absence."
"The sweetest of minds can harbor the harshest of men.”

http://voluntaryistreader.wordpress.org

Not Ranked
Posts 41
Points 980
jordan161 replied on Tue, Aug 21 2012 12:27 AM

Source?

Based on the primary source documents I've read (actually quotes in a book), the United State's "scientific power" was one of the reasons that convinced the Japanese government ot surrender. One of the top officials (Prime Minister Suzuki) , was so disturbed by what he saw at Hiroshima that he personally urged the emperor to intervene in the decision of surrender, against the military's disposition.

See Downfall: The End of the Imperial Japanese Empire by Richard Frank.

Edited for clarification and grammar.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,739
Points 60,635
Marko replied on Tue, Aug 21 2012 2:30 AM

Based on the primary source documents I've read (actually quotes in a book), the United State's "scientific power" was one of the reasons that convinced the Japanese government ot surrender. One of the top officials (Prime Minister Suzuki) , was so disturbed by what he saw at Hiroshima that he personally urged the emperor to intervene in the decision of surrender, against the military's disposition.

Let's say that this is true. It still leaves open the question why the need to have the Japanese surrender in the first place?

Most wars do not end with a wholesale surrender of one of the belligerent sides. Most times some kind of a negotiated settlemed is reached instead. Considering the military-strategic situation at any time after the Battle of the Phillipine sea, I don't think the US would have had any problem getting a peace deal where the Japanese would retreat to their home islands and leave everyone in East Asia alone.

What exactly was gained by the alternative ending, which brought us the United States' occupation and military rule of Japan until 1952 and unquestioned American hegemony over it since?

Wouldn't it have made more sense to tell the Japanese from the beginning they can have peace at any time if they will evacuate China, etc... How many American lives were spent getting the Japanese to capitulate unconditionally instead? If the bomb was about saving American lives, as it is often claimed, it seems to me even more lives could have been saved by not insisting on unconditional surrender in the first place and sparing American troops costly late-war battles like Okinava and Iwo Jima. Such a demand was not good for either the Japanese or the Americans, or the occupied East Asians (who would have been freed of the Japanese earlier), it only makes sense from the point of view of trying to make America more into a world empire.

Not Ranked
Posts 17
Points 310

Of course it was not necessary to drop the bomb on the two japanese cities. The only alternative cited is the hight casualty toll resulting from an invasion. This is hogwash. The real alternative was to let the japanese know that the U.S. had the "bomb" with which entire cities could be pulverized. Then drop one bomb in the ocean off the coast of Japan to show them what would happen next if they don't surrender in 48 hours. Why was this not done, you may ask? Well, how could the U.S. Army have missed the greatest opportunity they could have (ever?) to actually test the bomb on people?

Cheers!

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 247
Points 4,055
excel replied on Tue, Aug 21 2012 6:24 AM

Just blockade the country while you let them work out a deal to have russia or some other country act as a go-between to negotiate a cease-fire followed by a conditional surrender. Easy peasy.

Btw, any idea if this article is legit?

http://www.greenwych.ca/dulles.htm

I've found reference to the newspaper here, and the passage certainly appears in it.:

http://www.marxists.org/history/etol/newspape/themilitant/1963/index.htm

(25. febuary edition)

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 3,055
Points 41,895

That is not news and was known long before that article was published.  It's really only the American Empire shills that propagate the myth of Japan having a kamikaze foreign policy.

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,687
Points 22,990
Bogart replied on Tue, Aug 21 2012 9:25 AM

Yes the Japanese were brutal in China and Korea and that is not the most interesting part of the mess.  The most interesting part of the mess to me when people bring up the brutality of the Japanese was that the Emperor of Japan sent his son to the USA to meet with FDR to propose withdraws from Manchuria and probably Korea and Indochina as well for the resumption of trade between the USA and Japan.  Of course the response from asinine FDR administration was to tell the dude to take a hike and off into the biggest waste of capital and live in the history of the human race that ended in the destruction of two cities with two bombs.

Not Ranked
Posts 17
Points 310

In my opinion, the japanese soldier was brutal and a scumbag devoid of honor and nobility, their Bushido notwithstanding. To me the defintion of a military scumbag is that who murders women, children and defensless POWs. The japanese engage in this happily and often. 

Why did the japanese attacked Pearl Harbour? Many ignore that the U.S. was very active in taking measures trying to strangle Japan economically by embargoing the sale of many raw materials and products including airplane fuel. This was to punish Japan for invading Manchuria. It reached a point in which such measures were considered a Casus Belli and that was the reason  for fthe attack.

By the way, Gral Patton was also a scumbag as per my defintion above and should have been tried and hung together with the nazis and a host of russian generals, had the rules of the Nurnberg trial been equally applied to all. Of course, it did not apply to victors....,.(What else is new?)

• | Post Points: 65
Top 75 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,018
Points 17,760

I also heard 1 theory why the japanese might have surrenderred anyway.

Russia had already beat germany, so the japanese were afraid that russians would invade their continent and rape(literally) all their citizens?

Mass rape happened in the european front so the japanese were afraid this would happen to them, especially since they raped lots of people in the islands, (im sure lots of us soldier also raped islanders too).

Not sure if this is true but thats what i heard.

“Since people are concerned that ‘X’ will not be provided, ‘X’ will naturally be provided by those who are concerned by its absence."
"The sweetest of minds can harbor the harshest of men.”

http://voluntaryistreader.wordpress.org

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 3,055
Points 41,895

In my opinion, the japanese soldier was brutal and a scumbag devoid of honor and nobility, their Bushido notwithstanding.

That is just plain gullible.  Any notion that a randomly selected group of people, such as a regular army, is significantly abnormal is bogus.  It's like saying that everyone with red hair in 1981 was a mad killer.  Such claims don't warrant so much as a second thought.  The "Nanjing Incident", and probably every other alleged incident, came from Kuomintang spin doctors trying to hold onto power and the American post-war occupation propaganda.  The facts both about the events and official motives for the war and policy for treatment of civilians stand in stark contrast.

Using Primary Sources To Clarify the Nanking Incident

Not Ranked
Posts 41
Points 980
jordan161 replied on Tue, Aug 21 2012 2:13 PM

You should read this book, and then explain to me why the author is some sort of "spin doctor" or propagandist. (Hint: He is a member of and researcher for the Hiroshima Peace Institute, which doesn't exactly endorse the use of the atomic bombs)

http://www.amazon.com/Hidden-Horrors-Japanese-Transitions-Asia-America/dp/0813327180

Your analogy is just silly. There are several accounts of the differences between the way Italian soldiers and the SS treated conquered people.

Also, these aren't "randomly" selected people. I'll let you think about that one.

Not Ranked
Posts 41
Points 980
jordan161 replied on Tue, Aug 21 2012 2:14 PM

Why does the embargo justify the attack?

Not Ranked
Posts 41
Points 980
jordan161 replied on Tue, Aug 21 2012 2:19 PM

excel:

Just blockade the country while you let them work out a deal to have russia or some other country act as a go-between to negotiate a cease-fire followed by a conditional surrender. Easy peasy.

I've found reference to the newspaper here, and the passage certainly appears in it.:

http://www.marxists.org/history/etol/newspape/themilitant/1963/index.htm

(25. febuary edition)

How many Japanese civilians would have died as a result of the blockade?

Not Ranked
Posts 41
Points 980
jordan161 replied on Tue, Aug 21 2012 2:22 PM

Bogart:

Yes the Japanese were brutal in China and Korea and that is not the most interesting part of the mess.  The most interesting part of the mess to me when people bring up the brutality of the Japanese was that the Emperor of Japan sent his son to the USA to meet with FDR to propose withdraws from Manchuria and probably Korea and Indochina as well for the resumption of trade between the USA and Japan.  Of course the response from asinine FDR administration was to tell the dude to take a hike and off into the biggest waste of capital and live in the history of the human race that ended in the destruction of two cities with two bombs.

Could you provide a source for that incident? Google isn't helping.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,739
Points 60,635
Marko replied on Tue, Aug 21 2012 3:35 PM

By the way, Gral Patton was also a scumbag as per my defintion above and should have been tried and hung together with the nazis and a host of russian generals, had the rules of the Nurnberg trial been equally applied to all. Of course, it did not apply to victors....,.(What else is new?)

Far too few Germans were hung as well.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,739
Points 60,635
Marko replied on Tue, Aug 21 2012 3:40 PM

Why does the embargo justify the attack?

It doesn't justify the attack, but it does count as a valid casus belli in international relations.

More importantly it helped empower the hardliners in Japan over the moderates so if it was enacted out of humanitarian concern for the Chinese to try to force the Japanese to evacuate it was a spectacular failure as it had just the opposite effect.

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 3,055
Points 41,895

Also, these aren't "randomly" selected people. I'll let you think about that one.

There's nothing to think about.  Universal conscription is random except for selecting males over 18.  Therefore, any claim that Japanese soldiers were an outlier is ipso facto a claim that Japanese people in general are an outlier.  Anyone that believes the latter can safely be dismissed as a crackpot bigot.

Your analogy is just silly. There are several accounts of the differences between the way Italian soldiers and the SS treated conquered people.

Here is a more accurate version of that statement: "There are several differences in accounts of the way Italian soldiers and the SS treated conquered people."  Where words are placed in a sentence is important.  No claim about any qualitative difference between any wars or any sides in wars can be taken seriously without evidence to support the plausibility of the alleged differences in motive.  Only in the world of war tribunals, myth and legend and stupid history does a biased sample pool of accounts constitute a valid basis for a sociological theory.  It's this kind of stupidity that continues the bigotry between "Japanese" and "Chinese" to this day.

Not Ranked
Posts 17
Points 310
Scaramanga replied on Tue, Aug 21 2012 11:55 PM

The Nanjing incident? The Kuomitang fabricated the sources? I have the strong feeling that you are a "prologue" type of history reader....You need to do some serious research. Yes, some events quoted in books never happened and some being strongly denied did. That is why I recommend you dive into all kinds of sources before you make amateurish statements.

Cheers!

Not Ranked
Posts 17
Points 310
Scaramanga replied on Wed, Aug 22 2012 12:06 AM

Surely there were other germans deserving to be hang, as were scores of british, americans and of course russians who should have ended their lives swinging from a rope. I can also tell you that some like Gral. Alfred Jodl should not have been executed  (accusations against him were ludicrous). In any event, the Nurnberg trial was a kangaroo court and today it is mostly reognized a such.

Not Ranked
Posts 41
Points 980
jordan161 replied on Wed, Aug 22 2012 12:54 AM

Caley McKibbin:

There's nothing to think about.  Universal conscription is random except for selecting males over 18.  Therefore, any claim that Japanese soldiers were an outlier is ipso facto a claim that Japanese people in general are an outlier.  Anyone that believes the latter can safely be dismissed as a crackpot bigot.

Here is a more accurate version of that statement: "There are several differences in accounts of the way Italian soldiers and the SS treated conquered people."  Where words are placed in a sentence is important.  No claim about any qualitative difference between any wars or any sides in wars can be taken seriously without evidence to support the plausibility of the alleged differences in motive.  Only in the world of war tribunals, myth and legend and stupid history does a biased sample pool of accounts constitute a valid basis for a sociological theory.  It's this kind of stupidity that continues the bigotry between "Japanese" and "Chinese" to this day.

I noticed that you completely ignored differences in:

-military training

-political motivation (e.g. the S.S., not necessarily Japan)

-battlefied tactics (intimidation, etc.)

By limiting the explanations for differences in military behavior to cultural/ethnic ones, you enabled the charge of bigotry against me. That is not an honest tactic.

Also, here is a quote from your study:

"Apparently, the Japanese discovered approximately 6,500 soldiers and executed them [during the occupation of Nanking]"

Could you name a comparable mass execution committed by the U.S. in World War II?

Notice that I never brought up the rape of Nanking, but rather I referred you to another book, which you have yet to even reference. I would like to see you address the claims in that book, or at least glance at it. I read your link all the way through.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,739
Points 60,635
Marko replied on Wed, Aug 22 2012 2:46 AM

I can also tell you that some like Gral. Alfred Jodl should not have been executed  (accusations against him were ludicrous).

Maybe the specific accusations were ridicilous (I wouldn't know), but he still deserved to be executed. Wehrmacht had a standing policy of executing hostages in response to partisan attacks. That's all I need to know about its general staff.

Not Ranked
Posts 17
Points 310
Scaramanga replied on Wed, Aug 22 2012 11:12 AM

Wrong. Those were decisions Hitler & Himmler reserved for themselves (I assume you are talking about the massacres in reprisal for partisan acts).

Partisans can be shot or hanged as they are not lawful belligerants.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,739
Points 60,635
Marko replied on Wed, Aug 22 2012 3:47 PM

Partisans can be shot or hanged as they are not lawful belligerants.

Sounds to me you're no libertarian and don't have morals. So why complain about not hanging Patton and the Russians? What do you care about it, satan-spawn?

Wrong. Those were decisions Hitler & Himmler reserved for themselves (I assume you are talking about the massacres in reprisal for partisan acts).

Yeah right. Actually the strategy of executing hostages was an in-house development of the army. It was devised by Wehrmacht strategists, not Nazi ideologues.

Top 150 Contributor
Male
Posts 630
Points 9,425

Most people are not aware that there is actually a group of people that believe that nukes do not exist. That think the videos were just faked and Japan was carpet bombed just like Germany was. It was covered up and an elaborate story was made up. I am not saying that I believe it. I am just making you aware of it.

Just when you thought you had heard it all before. hahah

Not Ranked
Posts 17
Points 310
Scaramanga replied on Wed, Aug 22 2012 11:59 PM

First of all, you should study history. it is always useful to know something about a subjet, especially when you are involved in a discussion.

I may add -for your benefit- that I a am talking about the law and conventions, and not about what I think is OK to do. That has nothing to do with it.

Gettiing into a discussion about morals per se is something that you should balance with acts carried out by both sides. There was a policy to carpet bomb all german cities killing thousands of women and children. Was that right? Was it moral to bomb Dresden and burn to death tens of thousands for no aparent reason? Was it moral to drop two nuclear bombs in Japan. when there were other valid options which should have been tried?

I want to stress the fact that I am in NO way excusing the atrocities of one side because the others "also did it". That is NEVER a valid argument however it may satisfy the need for revenge. Just in case you are intersted, the russian partisans as well as regular soldiers committed appalling crimes on German prisoners (horrible tortures, mutilations, etc.), from the very beginning of Barbarossa and during the whole campaign. You can read about this in the writings of german generals after the war. And how can we forget Einsatz Reinhard, the germans killing a couple of million jews in the eastern front....

By the way, you should check on the transcripts made by the british from secret recordings of german generals and other high ranking Wehrmacht officers taken when they were talking to each other in captivity, thinking no one was listening....Among other, they comment that they were appalled at the executions organized by Himmler's Algemeine SS in the Baltic and Eastern Front.

Cheers!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135
John James replied on Thu, Aug 23 2012 12:32 AM

Kinda crazy and ironic, but Wesker1982 just reappeared in another thread (about John Stossel and his book, no less) to post a link to a Mises Daily that is completely relevant to this thread.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,739
Points 60,635
Marko replied on Thu, Aug 23 2012 2:50 AM

I may add -for your benefit- that I a am talking about the law and conventions, and not about what I think is OK to do. That has nothing to do with it.

No we are not talking about that. We were talking about whether Jodl deserved to be hanged. You claim he did not because it is legaly accepted to execute captured partisans. Well we aren't talking about what is legal. We're libertarians (well I am) talking about whether Jodl needed to die for what he had done.

Gettiing into a discussion about morals per se is something that you should balance with acts carried out by both sides.

We should do no such thing. For libertarians there are no "two sides" there are numerous sides.

Just in case you are intersted, the russian partisans as well as regular soldiers committed appalling crimes on German prisoners (horrible tortures, mutilations, etc.), from the very beginning of Barbarossa and during the whole campaign. You can read about this in the writings of german generals after the war

How extraordinary reliable source! German mass-murdering generals with thoroughly racists views of the Russians, writing to expunge their repugnant record. Yes, I think I'm going to take them at their word!

By the way, you should check on the transcripts made by the british from secret recordings of german generals and other high ranking Wehrmacht officers taken when they were talking to each other in captivity, thinking no one was listening....Among other, they comment that they were appalled at the executions organized by Himmler's Algemeine SS in the Baltic and Eastern Front.

But not by executions organized by the Wehrmacht, or the starving out of Soviet POWs in their custody. What any comments of this type showcase is rather the human beings' extraordinary capacity for hypocrisy and self-delusion rather than the inherent decency of German generals.

Suggested reading for worshippers of German generaldom:
- Wolfram Wette, The Wehrmacht: History, Myth, Reality  (the story German generals wanted hidden)
- Ronald Smelser and Edward Davies, The Myth of the Eastern Front  (on how German generals manipulated the received wisdom after the war)
- Geoffrey P. Megargee, Inside Hitler's High Command (on how the German generals' blaming every bad strategic decision on Hitler was a bunch of crap)

Here is also a link to a .pdf of Wette's book.

Not Ranked
Posts 17
Points 310

Now, come, come. Reach for the fridge, get some icecubes in a towel and place it over your head. 

Yes, we were talking about accusations against Jodl about which you said, you knew nothing. We obviously have a problem right there.  My friendly suggestion for you to read history still stands. It is good for you as eating veggies. Don't know about your intake of the later, but the former is surely deficitary and in need of urgent reviewing.

Further, you seem to want to set the discussion in terms of me defending the nazis' human rights record and you championing that of the allies. The reason for this is probably that you read only selective parts of my posts and wrote yours, before putting some icecubes on your head....

The original discussion was that the law was not applied equally and that the Nurnberg Trial was a Kangaroo Court. The rest added by you was a convoluted tirade devoid of much sense. Keep the ice on your head. I have heard that it works marvels in cases like yours.

Cheers!

Page 1 of 1 (37 items) | RSS