Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

*** August 2012 low content thread ***

rated by 0 users
This post has 281 Replies | 14 Followers

Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 806
Points 12,855

John James hasn't posted on Mises.org in a week...

On second thought, check again.

If I had a cake and ate it, it can be concluded that I do not have it anymore. HHH

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,018
Points 17,760

hes burning out.

I dont blame him 6k posts....

“Since people are concerned that ‘X’ will not be provided, ‘X’ will naturally be provided by those who are concerned by its absence."
"The sweetest of minds can harbor the harshest of men.”

http://voluntaryistreader.wordpress.org

Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 806
Points 12,855

John James does not burn out. He puts his left hand into his pocket (his left pants pocket) and stares off-screen.

If I had a cake and ate it, it can be concluded that I do not have it anymore. HHH

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,745
Wheylous replied on Fri, Aug 3 2012 11:57 PM

I think you guys just don't wanna accept that JJ and I are having a slight lovers' quarrel.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 806
Points 12,855

Wanna talk about it, buddy?

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,439
Points 44,650
Neodoxy replied on Sat, Aug 4 2012 12:37 AM

Wheylous, don't lie. We all know that he cheated on you with that dirty minarchist whore over on the Ron Paul forums. It's okay, you can let out the pain here.

At last those coming came and they never looked back With blinding stars in their eyes but all they saw was black...
  • | Post Points: 50
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 6,885
Points 121,845
Clayton replied on Sat, Aug 4 2012 3:05 AM

our results for this quiz have been calculated and are presented below:

Your Ancient Greek Knowledge is 90%

GGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGRRRRRRRRRRRREEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAATTTTTTTTT JOB!!! Excellent! You are an expert on Ancient Greek Mythology. That's awesome.

LOL - 90% on Greek mythology quiz! Seriously, though, my Greek mythology is actually pretty weak... :-(

Clayton -

http://voluntaryistreader.wordpress.com
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,417
Points 41,720
Nielsio replied on Sat, Aug 4 2012 9:19 AM

A Critique of Anarcho-Communism and the Zeitgeist Movement | by Jörg Guido Hülsmann

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,679
Points 45,110

@Clayton

I got 90% too. I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that you got the goddess of the rainbow wrong. I know I did :\.

Separately, Wrong brand: UK athletes warned over headphones.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,745
Wheylous replied on Sat, Aug 4 2012 12:19 PM

Note, my following post must be read with this as background music. Please do not read the post without the music. It adds a lot:

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,745
Wheylous replied on Sat, Aug 4 2012 12:19 PM

I... I...

He... he said he would only love an anarchist, that he appreciated my freedom of spirit, my understanding of economics, how clear my mind was of all those logical fallacies. He said he knew that when he came home from work, tired of everyone asking him "but WHO will make the roads?" he'd have a strong, supportive man on his side and a warm dinner on the table. He said that my belief in the free market was inspiring, that my commitment to fighting for the cause of liberty was uplifting, that whenever he saw the spark of freedom in my eye he knew that the world would become a better place, that the darkness can be beaten back, that the human element will return to this cursed world...
He even wrote me a poem:

Every time you smile, a new sun is born -
A bright, tempestuous ball of fire whirling with sparks and energy and life!
Whenever I'm with you every breath counts,
because when you breathe in you draw me to you like the sea,
and I'm powerless;
and when you breathe out,
it's a gentle summer breeze -
the extract of life -
the feeling that blooms in you that says
"yes, this is why life is worth living,"
and you never want to die, because the breeze will stop.
And when I look into your eyes,
I see the world reflected in them;
and when you blink,
my world vanishes,
and I'm lost...
and when you open your eyes again,
my world is born once more,
and then I'm found.
So smile! Smile and let a thousand new suns light up our universe!
Breathe, so that I may know what life is!
And never blink,
so that I never lose my world...
so that I never lose you...
Because they're one and the same...
And you know that he actually sent it to me because you can look it up and not find it anywhere online. I believed in him! I thought that he understood me! I thought that he cared. That he would never go away...

But while I was away... I got an email... from him. He... he sent it to me accidentally. It was meant for someone else, but the "to" field was automatically filled in.

In this letter...

Oh, God, it hurts to write this...

He wrote to that minarchist from the Ron Paul forums... "Lucy."

He... he compromised his values. He said things he would never say to me. He said that he didn't care about anarchy, that he loved her, that he loved the structure she believed the world needed. That government can be just, that it can improve upon market outcomes in a Pareto efficient way without deadweight losses. He... he used neoclassical welfare analysis, completely ignoring Rothbard's thorough critique and rebuilding of the field...

He said that state police was better. Better equipped, better trained, more just, less prone to warlords taking over...

He even said... oh, gosh... He said that the roads should be public, that libertarianism suffered from the encirclement problem.

And if this wasn't enough to rend my heart apart... he... he said that Intellectual Property was the only thing that allowed technological innovation. Can you believe it? Ignoring centuries of history, of theory, of truth.

John James, where have you strayed? How has that filthy snake changed you? Can you ever come back into my strong, muscular arms?

I miss the feeling of running my fingers through your hair, of you whispering softly in my ear about Block's newest article about voluntary slavery...

Every touch - every word was a treasure to me.

And now...

So please tell me was it all a lie?
Did you want to see me bleed? Did you want to see me die?
Was every heart you sent me part of a big joke?
Did you want to build my dreams just to see 'em go up in smoke?
Every time I wrote "I love you" I wanted to say
so much more than those three words could possibly convey...
And now I don't know what to do...
All that I know is my heart only beats for you...
And now I don't know what to do...
All that I know is my heart only beats for you...

Can we ever be together again? Will you accept me with all my wretched anarchy? Can I ever accept you after this devious act?

My mind tells me to turn away and follow another road, but my heart cries out for only one man... John James...

• | Post Points: 50
Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 177
Points 2,860
Naevius replied on Sat, Aug 4 2012 1:20 PM

I love this forum.

/delurk

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 197
Points 3,920

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,745

You have solved a problem even Mises couldn't figure out!

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 197
Points 3,920

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 197
Points 3,920

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,439
Points 44,650
Neodoxy replied on Sat, Aug 4 2012 7:30 PM

@Wheylous

1. +10^100,000,000,000,000 Awesome points

2. I'm sorry for your loss. I cried.

3. You have great taste in breakup music

At last those coming came and they never looked back With blinding stars in their eyes but all they saw was black...
Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 806
Points 12,855

Did you put down Iris? I got a 100% 8)

Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 806
Points 12,855

Wheylous, you have been hurt. You have been hurt. I'm here for you bro.

That government can be just, that it can improve upon market outcomes in a Pareto efficient way without deadweight losses. He... he used neoclassical welfare analysis,

That's where I went from watery eyes and a runny nose to a brief chuckle.

I love this forum so much.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,745

I love this forum Wheylous so much.

Fixed that for you cheeky

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,745

1. +10^100,000,000,000,000 Awesome points

2. I'm sorry for your loss. I cried.

3. You have great taste in breakup music

1) I am afraid of the hyperinflation in points this might cause. Also, I'm fairly sure that the database can't remember that many points, as ints are bounded on the upper limit as 2^16.

2) I am sorry too. Good thing I still have the memories and the hope...

3) I try my best.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,745

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,493
Points 39,355
Malachi replied on Sat, Aug 4 2012 8:58 PM
Its great to mock out of ignorance isnt it? Harr harr harr I dont understand because I've never bothered to find out
Keep the faith, Strannix. -Casey Ryback, Under Siege (Steven Seagal)
Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 806
Points 12,855

I didn't come out and say it because I figured you had a flock of people already. I didn't come here to make enemies.wink

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,745

It's not the message I think is relevant (I am at least Deist). Rather the wording. Idk why, but I found the wording funny.

Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 806
Points 12,855

Idk why, but I found the wording funny.

You started laughing when you saw the "f-word" didn't you? laugh

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,745
Wheylous replied on Sat, Aug 4 2012 10:05 PM

No, it was on "mortgage." Idk why, but shovel and mortgage were so unexpected for me that my mind bugged out and made no sense of it. Just the semantic ambiguity was so... weird. Maybe also because I'm interested in computational linguistics and my brain associated the verb "hit" with no subcategorization frame.

Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 806
Points 12,855

I agree. The randomness of shovel/mortgage stood out to me as well. But still... he said the f-word! blush

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,493
Points 39,355
Malachi replied on Sun, Aug 5 2012 1:06 PM
Full Spectrum Operations in the Homeland: A “Vision” of the Future

by Kevin Benson and Jennifer Weber

http://smallwarsjournal.com/jrnl/art/full-spectrum-operations-in-the-homeland-a-“vision”-of-the-future#comment-form.

The Scenario (2016) 

The Great Recession of the early twenty-first century lasts far longer than anyone anticipated.  After a change in control of the White House and Congress in 2012, the governing party cuts off all funding that had been dedicated to boosting the economy or toward relief.  The United States economy has flatlined, much like Japan’s in the 1990s, for the better part of a decade.  By 2016, the economy shows signs of reawakening, but the middle and lower-middle classes have yet to experience much in the way of job growth or pay raises.  Unemployment continues to hover perilously close to double digits, small businesses cannot meet bankers’ terms to borrow money, and taxes on the middle class remain relatively high.  A high-profile and vocal minority has directed the public’s fear and frustration at nonwhites and immigrants.  After almost ten years of race-baiting and immigrant-bashing by right-wing demagogues, nearly one in five Americans reports being vehemently opposed to immigration, legal or illegal, and even U.S.-born nonwhites have become occasional targets for mobs of angry whites.

In May 2016 an extremist militia motivated by the goals of the “tea party” movement takes over the government of Darlington, South Carolina, occupying City Hall, disbanding the city council, and placing the mayor under house arrest.  Activists remove the chief of police and either disarm local police and county sheriff departments or discourage them from interfering.  In truth, this is hardly necessary.  Many law enforcement officials already are sympathetic to the tea party’s agenda, know many of the people involved, and have made clear they will not challenge the takeover.  The militia members are organized and have a relatively well thought-out plan of action.

With Darlington under their control, militia members quickly move beyond the city limits to establish “check points” – in reality, something more like choke points -- on major transportation lines.  Traffic on I-95, the East Coast’s main north-south artery; I-20; and commercial and passenger rail lines are stopped and searched, allegedly for “illegal aliens.”  Citizens who complain are immediately detained.  Activists also collect “tolls” from drivers, ostensibly to maintain public schools and various city and county programs, but evidence suggests the money is actually going toward quickly increasing stores of heavy weapons and ammunition.  They also take over the town web site and use social media sites to get their message out unrestricted. 

Lol hahahahaha its pretty funny how these are all things that the feds already do
Keep the faith, Strannix. -Casey Ryback, Under Siege (Steven Seagal)
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 6,885
Points 121,845
Clayton replied on Mon, Aug 6 2012 12:19 AM

http://www.hindustantimes.com/world-news/RestOfAsia/Hiroshima-marks-anniversary-of-atomic-bombing/Article1-908991.aspx

Whatever bullshit there is surrounding the facts of Hiroshim and Nagasaki, the fact is that innumerable innocents were destroyed or burnt up in merciless, wanton "strategic bombing" raids, the most deadly of which were delivered not by the supposed bad-guys but by the Allies. The nuclear bomb with its promise of push-button erasure of entire cities is the ultimate statist fantasy come true. Such weapons are inherently aggressive and it should be a crime for anyone - especially an established government - to possess them in anything even resembling working order. This should be an obvious, no-compromise goal of all libertarians everywhere.

Clayton -

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,679
Points 45,110

Three speeches by Michael Crichton:

Aliens Cause Global Warming

Environmentalism as Religion

The Case for Skepticism on Global Warming

The first two are awesome. The third is a bit of a rehash of the first two, but then Crichton adds some new material as he analyses some global warming nonsense. I highly recommend reading at least the first two.

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 496
Points 8,945

ya i read state of fear when it came out, and really enjoyed it.  Have you read it?  What you posted is probably his findings from his research before the release of the book. 

got to add this to my 'to do' list.

Eat the apple, fuck the Corps. I don't work for you no more!
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,679
Points 45,110

Yeah I loved State of Fear. I know the Aliens Caused Global Warming came out before the book, and it's less about facts and more about method. The third speech has more facts in it.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 659
Points 13,305
Gero replied on Mon, Aug 6 2012 4:20 PM

Best article I read all day: 5 Ways You Don't Realize Movies Are Controlling Your Brain

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 6,885
Points 121,845
Clayton replied on Mon, Aug 6 2012 8:26 PM

YOUR HELP NEEDED:

There's a YT vid that's been posted on the forums a few times (I think I've even posted it once!) and I simply CANNOT locate it!

The video is about emergent order and the needlessness of central planning; it is accompanied by short video clips to support the naration. It starts out by imagining getting to know the cells in your body... something like "the cells in your body may not seem like people but if you could get to know them, you would think they were people, with all the cooperation, in-fighting, conspiracies, etc. constantly going on between them... yet without this chaos, this conflict, you would not exist" and then it goes on to discuss the example of a garden... "if you try to eliminate the snails, then the birds won't come around and put manure in the garden" etc.

Clayton -

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,745

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,745

Searched spontaneous order cells garden youtube.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 6,885
Points 121,845
Clayton replied on Mon, Aug 6 2012 8:42 PM

@Wheylous: Are you still with JJ or would you consider a new romantic attachment?

Dude, you rock!

Clayton -

Page 2 of 8 (282 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS