Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

*** August 2012 low content thread ***

rated by 0 users
This post has 281 Replies | 14 Followers

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 985
Points 21,180
hashem replied on Tue, Aug 14 2012 8:06 PM

Speaking of low content, I think there is a single reason why these forums are better—despite their drawbacks—than almost every form I've been on in my 13 years on the internet: the Active Topics page. Dividing forums into different sections may have its benefits for someone, but I haven't figured out who. I absolutely LOVE seeing all the active topics on one page. Then you know if you post an important topic that belongs in a rarely-viewed division or sub-board, everyone will still get the chance to see it. Like 4chan, or facebook, I know if a topic was squeezed out past the first few pages then it probably wasn't popular for a reason...and if I was interested in it I'm free to bookmark.

Tipping my hat to that innovation.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect. —Mark Twain
  • | Post Points: 35
Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 806
Points 12,855

Who Is The Smallest Government Spender Since Eisenhower? Would You Believe It's Barack Obama?

If I had a cake and ate it, it can be concluded that I do not have it anymore. HHH

• | Post Points: 50
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,490
Wheylous replied on Tue, Aug 14 2012 8:32 PM

Tipping my hat to that innovation.

I've seen it on other forums (like Hell Bound Hackers http://www.hellboundhackers.org/forum/index.php)

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,679
Points 45,110
gotlucky replied on Tue, Aug 14 2012 8:38 PM

@ThatOldGuy

What a lousy article. Smallest spender? Please. Maybe it grew the slowest under Obama, but he's still spending more than any of the others. Pure deceit.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,490
Wheylous replied on Tue, Aug 14 2012 8:40 PM

Who Is The Smallest Government Spender Since Eisenhower? Would You Believe It's Barack Obama?

Whaddyaknow. Well, the analysis is very top-level, but interesting nonetheless.

Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 806
Points 12,855

Came across my facebook newsfeed. Misleading, but typical.

If I had a cake and ate it, it can be concluded that I do not have it anymore. HHH

Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 806
Points 12,855

I just came across it. Thought it was worth a post for humor purposes.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,679
Points 45,110
gotlucky replied on Tue, Aug 14 2012 8:48 PM

Tell that to my blood pressure! People actually believe this guy!

Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 806
Points 12,855

Well, now you can't say that you haven't heard of it and can reject the idea when you hear it from people who believe this guy (when, in conversation, they probably won't mention the inconvenient truth of it all; that's when you zoom in and zing!). KRAV MAGA!

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,490
Wheylous replied on Tue, Aug 14 2012 9:03 PM

Bill Gates funds the reinvention of the toilet:

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow/bill-gates-gets-potty-mouth-foundation-holds-toilet-220847363.html

Science funding through market means for the win.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 659
Points 13,305
Gero replied on Tue, Aug 14 2012 11:42 PM

WikiLeaks’ Paul Ryan exposure

Ron Paul vs. Paul Ryan

Bombs kill 46 across Afghanistan

NY Times Co. hires BBC chief as next CEO

Europe on the edge of recession

According to the Associated Press, “A recession is officially defined as two straight quarters of falling output.” So, if Europeans all produced t-shirts that said “F—k you, ordinary Europeans” and the output measure ticked up, then there would not be a recession. I bet the old Soviet Union was prosperous by this recession definition.

Secrecy creep

Boy Scout files reveal repeat child abuse by sexual predators

Washington's press is the cabin boy of the political class – do quote me on that

John C. Goodman: Why the Doctor Can't See You

Atlas Spurned

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135
John James replied on Tue, Aug 14 2012 11:50 PM

ThatOldGuy:

Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 806
Points 12,855
ThatOldGuy replied on Wed, Aug 15 2012 12:00 AM

So, John James, you're telling me (and I guess Lee is as well) that you will be voting for Romney?

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,490
Wheylous replied on Wed, Aug 15 2012 7:03 AM

Prepare to be flamed to hell and back.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

ThatOldGuy:
So, John James, you're telling me (and I guess Lee is as well) that you will be voting for Romney?

I would certainly like to hand you the flaming Wheylous is looking forward to, but I honestly have no idea what you're talking about.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135
Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 806
Points 12,855

Looking at it now I guess the internet changes the meaning of the comment. It was meant to be a joke.

I recently had this really engaging conversation with someone regarding praxeology and the whole time he seemed pretty interested. When the conversation had clearly died, he just sort of asked me "So, what you're telling me is... you're voting for Romney?" The question was so out of nowhere that I started laughing pretty hard.

Posing the question at you, John James, I anticipated either getting a flaming or a YOMANK (hoping for the latter).

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 239
Points 5,820

http://www.colbertnation.com/the-colbert-report-videos/417896/august-14-2012/-stars-earn-stripes--reality-series

"If men are not angels, then who shall run the state?" 

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

aww dammit.  You should have saved that for after one of us posted a really long monologue.  Then it would have totally resonated.  That's why it was funny for you.

All I did was post a video. That, plus the fact that you included Doren in it, and all he was talking about was idiotic journalists made it confusing.

I probably would have spit up if it came after a really long text post.

Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 806
Points 12,855

Yeah, his question came at the end of the conversation where it mainly consisted of me elaborating some of the earlier arguments while he mainly listened. When he asked the question I did a double take: What the hell? It was precisely because of the randomness of it in relation to the monologue, as you say. The best part was that he knew it too and laughed with me- we're buddies and I didn't want to offend him if he was serious.

Since you posted his video in the comment, I figured that what you thought of the article was pretty much what Lee Doren said in the video (as well as anyone who read even the subtitle of the chart presented front and center) such that the little remark would have the intended effect. Lee was on a roll.

Ah well. I shall try again in the future.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

So, what you're saying is, you miss the old Britney.

• | Post Points: 50
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,493
Points 39,355
Malachi replied on Wed, Aug 15 2012 6:35 PM
Whoops
Keep the faith, Strannix. -Casey Ryback, Under Siege (Steven Seagal)
Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 806
Points 12,855

"Oops!... I Did It Again" was a masterpiece.

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,493
Points 39,355
Malachi replied on Wed, Aug 15 2012 8:41 PM
Was that the one where she was on the moon, somehow without a spacesuit, and her boyfriend was an astronaut?
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,956
Points 56,800
bloomj31 replied on Thu, Aug 16 2012 10:57 AM

Man charged in shooting at conservative group HQ

"A Virginia man charged with shooting and wounding a security guard at the headquarters of a conservative lobbying group told the guard he opposed the organization's politics and had 15 Chick-fil-A sandwiches in his bag, federal authorities said Thursday."

Serious business.

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,493
Points 39,355
Malachi replied on Thu, Aug 16 2012 1:04 PM
•    One girl has attention-deficit disorder and has trouble sitting still in class.. Her punishment? Being sent to the boys' classroom, where she is required to sit still and face the wall while the boys roam freely around the room!

•    Another girl is legally blind and has difficulty reading in the dimly lit classroom; she requested brighter lights and the teacher told her to sit by the window.

•    And a third girl learns best by reading and writing things down; however, when she asked for more time to take notes and copy slide presentations, she was told that girls learn best through auditory rather than visual input.

ROLF
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 119
Points 1,600

Weird... I searched for "low content" and august didn't show up--I guess I need to search for the month as well to get it.

So, sorry to whichever mod I created more work for by making the duplicate thread.

" ‘Bread and Circuses’ is the cancer of democracy, the fatal disease for which there is no cure. “
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,389
Points 21,840

Heideggar on Marx:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQsQOqa0UVc

One of those cool little quick tidbits out there.  Hopefully this kind of alludes to the need of having a Heideggar / Stirner ontology and metaphysics to show the obviousness of many good economic and sociological insights.

Also to  how these two social philosophers precede and exceed all a lot of leftist nonese that comes after it - and probably help codify the more clear  actions that happened during the "Industrial Revolutiont" and kill off the batshit crazy intellectualisms that were spouted off as a consequence of the intellectual class that rose up because of  the "enlightenment."

"As in a kaleidoscope, the constellation of forces operating in the system as a whole is ever changing." - Ludwig Lachmann

"When A Man Dies A World Goes Out of Existence"  - GLS Shackle

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

REQUEST

I vaguely remember a piece of satire centered around the Sandra Fluke fiasco, in which The Onion or some conservative outlet (or maybe even someone on here) did a whole thing talking about how government should provide something or other...it was all serious and meant to lampoon the whole situation.

Any links?

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 659
Points 13,305
Gero replied on Thu, Aug 16 2012 11:32 PM

Greenville County’s Perversion of Public Decency Laws

You Have the Right to Remain Spied On

Left and Right Call for Escalation in Syria

I agree with the analysis of the Syrian Civil War except for this sentence, “Pro-interventionists are confident that a U.S. intelligence community that couldn’t detect the 9/11 attacks and thought Saddam Hussein had weapons of mass destruction can properly tell the good guys from the bad guys (Islamist militants) in the Syrian resistance.” The U.S. intelligence community did have multiple warning signs of 9/11 and multiple sources of evidence that there were no Iraqi WMD, but the government ignored the 9/11 intelligence and manipulated the Iraqi WMD intelligence.

There Ought Not to Be a Law

Entitlement Albatross

The West has Become a Banana Republic

Ben Swann Smacks Paul Ryan Hard

Ecuador grants asylum to WikiLeaks' Assange

Medicare costs too much, but how to rein it in?

Ryan denied stimulus while quietly seeking it

Holmes doesn't react to talk of struggling victims

July is deadliest month of 2012 for US troops

Black Hawk crash kills 7 Americans, 4 Afghans

Taliban say they have infiltrated Afghan forces

Wave of attacks rumbles across Iraq, killing 59

Facebook hits new low as IPO lock-up ends

• | Post Points: 65
Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 806
Points 12,855
ThatOldGuy replied on Thu, Aug 16 2012 11:34 PM

I'm trying, but was there anything that stuck out like a certain phrase or politician? Was Sandra Fluke mentioned? It sounds like the Onion.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135
John James replied on Thu, Aug 16 2012 11:43 PM

Yeah I honestly can't recall.  I don't think she was mentioned. That's what makes it so hard. I don't even remember what the example was, and I think it was because I saw this kind of thing in two different places...perhaps one was just a paragraph or two in a larger article about the whole thing, and the other was a full article of complete satire. I think I'm getting the two confused so I can't pin down any specifics.  Otherwise I'd probably be able to find it.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,417
Points 41,720
Nielsio replied on Fri, Aug 17 2012 9:24 AM

"What should we do with the losers that are picked by the free market?", asks Jon Stewart

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

4 Minutes In 45 Seconds: CNN "Uncovers" Motive Behind Family Resarch Council Shooting

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

Adam Kokesh on "Why I support Obama"

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,493
Points 39,355
Malachi replied on Sat, Aug 18 2012 4:30 PM
http://vigilantcitizen.com/vigilantreport/the-occult-symbolism-of-the-2012-olympics-opening-and-closing-ceremonies/
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

Ron Paul Supporter Owns RomneyRyan.com - Story Goes Viral

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,493
Points 39,355
Malachi replied on Sun, Aug 19 2012 1:28 PM
Wow, he interviewed really well. For someone who (presumeably) doesnt go in front of a camera often, that was pretty good.
Page 4 of 8 (282 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next > ... Last » | RSS