Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Marriage and taxes

rated by 0 users
This post has 5 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 358
Points 8,245
Scrooge McDuck Posted: Wed, Aug 1 2012 4:49 PM

In the wake of continuing gay marriage controversy, I was hoping you could clarifly my thinking on the issue. My position is that the government shouldn't be involved in marriages regardless of sexuality. So effectively no tax benefits should be conferred solely for married couples. However, wouldn't getting rid of these tax cuts increase funding for the government? (A position I am also against.) 

What are your thoughts on the issue. Do you support gay marriage if the government is going to recognize and incentivize marriages? What about the tax issue? Is being married even much of a tax advantage? 

• | Post Points: 65
Top 75 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,018
Points 17,760

Government should GTFO marriages, whether they be homosexual or heterosexual.

Government should GTFO(get the fuck out) of everything

“Since people are concerned that ‘X’ will not be provided, ‘X’ will naturally be provided by those who are concerned by its absence."
"The sweetest of minds can harbor the harshest of men.”

http://voluntaryistreader.wordpress.org

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,490

Government should give the legal benefits of marriage to everyone (whichever ones make sense).

Just today I considered starting a movement called "singles rights" which is like gay rights but for single people.

I think that the logic of the gay rights movement could actually be harnessed to make the case for capitalism. After all, one of the things gay people are asking for is tax breaks ;)

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 781
Points 13,130

Marriage is a contract, to be treated in the eyes of the law as any other contract.

apiarius delendus est, ursus esuriens continendus est
  • | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 639
Points 11,575
cab21 replied on Tue, Aug 7 2012 1:06 AM

abolish marrage amendment, abolish taxes amendment

Not Ranked
Posts 18
Points 325

There are 3 aspects of a marriage: social, religious and legal. Social is the most obvious one and is the part about voluntary association. Religious is what encompasses the church and the vows. Legal is the peice of paper that gets you benefits from the government (unless of course you get welfare instead of paying taxes in which case you get more from not being married). IF government MUST tax, it would be better to have either a flat income tax or only a consumptino tax. in either of those cases marraige is irrelevent. 

You run into these kinds of issues all the times when you say things like "should the government stop..." because everything is tied together and the entire system is broken.

http://lawperverted.wordpress.com/ https://www.facebook.com/pages/Law-Perverted/397069737008607
Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS