Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Is Libertarianism Boring?

rated by 0 users
This post has 53 Replies | 5 Followers

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,389
Points 21,840

It's probably boring because when it makes sense it is an a-platonic "meta" ideology that has a nasty habit of dethreading nonsense.

In other words, due to the nature of things - it sets itself up as being passive and boring because it isn't really anything.  If it states anything at all, it is stating all that other "stuff", in fact is not "stuff"- it's misplaced nonsense.

"As in a kaleidoscope, the constellation of forces operating in the system as a whole is ever changing." - Ludwig Lachmann

"When A Man Dies A World Goes Out of Existence"  - GLS Shackle

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 203
Points 3,195

Related to that point, Libertarianism is boring in the same way that the heliocentric model of the solar system is boring. When the earth was the center of the solar system astronomers had to make all sorts of crazy rules and laws to explain why planets sometimes took unexpected turns in their orbits, and even moved backward! Now though, the explanation is simple and comparatively very boring.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 781
Points 13,130

"Abolish the state and the market will fix it."

Firstly, "the market" is nothing but a set of individuals. "The market" doesn't do anything. For a new firm to come into existence, some individual must dream-up that firm. In most cases, such an entrepreneur is not engaged in pure speculation, since he can reference and borrow ideas from existing firms in the same industry.  But the first entrepreneurs in a newly opened dispute resolution industry would have nothing more to reference than we have: namely historical examples and approximations such as private arbitration firms existing within the context of State-law. He would essentially be speculating blindly about how he should organize his firm.  But what "abolish the state and the market will fix it" usually expresses is an antipathy toward speculation about what might come into being post-State.

Secondly, if we are libertarians, and not just anarchists, then we must care about what kind of legal order replaces the State's legal order. It is not sufficient for us to say "Abolish the state and the market will fix it," as if whatever order the market generates is good by definition.

Thirdly, the production of dispute resolution services is not entirely analogous to the production or any other good or service. Dispute resolution has special characteristics, most important of which is that one can become a "customer" of a DRO against one's will even in a purely free market: i.e. as the accused. This changes the dynamics of the market for dispute resolution services, in a way that (in my view) encourages territorially defined natural monopolies. If that is the case, then it is really exceptionally important for us to have a care for the kind of firms which are going to first arise in the post-State era, as they are likely to be with us for a long time as natural monopolies. We had best make sure they are both devoted to libertarian legal principles and structured in such a way as to reduce the risk of a them becoming States in their own right.

If the State is ever abolished, the libertarian community should have a model firm waiting in the wings, ready to be realized. We should be working on the development of such a model firm. I know that many libertarians take this view very critically, making accusation of "central planning" and the like. But this misses completely the fact that (1) what is being proposed is not a State and so talk about a model firm is not in any way analogous to statist central planning, and (2) all firms are born in this way, by individuals imagining what is possible.

apiarius delendus est, ursus esuriens continendus est
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 639
Points 11,575
cab21 replied on Mon, Aug 6 2012 5:09 PM

here you can study god's laws

http://cog-ff.com/Library/html/STUDY%20GODS%20LAW.html

People of this world do not know that serving and obeying the laws of God is THE way, and the only way, that leads to increasing and perpetual prosperity, peace and happiness. All the problems that cause people to suffer could be eliminated by obeying God's Laws. They are for our good.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 165
Points 2,745

In case anyone is wondering why cab21 continues to spout garbage about how "God" is great and all, what he's doing is making fun of people's faith in the market, just replace "God" with the market in his posts.

The market isn't perfect, it does works better than government, and that is the point Libertarians are constantly trying to pound into your skull Cab21. You aren't going to accept any valid point made by a Libertarian however, we're all heartless after all, unlike those saintly Marxists. smiley

• | Post Points: 35
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 781
Points 13,130

what he's doing is making fun of people's faith in the market, just replace "God" with the market in his posts.

Is this true cab21?

If so, may I ask if you've ever read any of the Austrian economists?

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,288
Points 22,350

"You gotta pay the troll toll, to get into this boy's soul..."

The Voluntaryist Reader: http://voluntaryistreader.wordpress.com/ Libertarian forums that actually work: http://voluntaryism.freeforums.org/index.php
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 203
Points 3,195

^^not interested.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 639
Points 11,575
cab21 replied on Mon, Aug 6 2012 9:40 PM

hmm, in the ancap athiest/ theist thread, people said the two were compatable.  yet posts about god describing anarchy capitalism is spouting garbage and marxism?

• | Post Points: 35
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 203
Points 3,195

hmm, in the ancap athiest/ theist thread, people said the two were compatable.  yet posts about god describing anarchy capitalism is spouting garbage and marxism?

Trolling 101: don't troll both in content and in form - it's less effective. Either use poor grammar and punctuation to make your message unintelligible, or clearly and precisely say something that makes no sense, so that you know you'll anger the readers of your post. With this, I just feel confused. 

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 165
Points 2,745

Cab21, I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt, by being as charitable to your posts as possible. Either you are making fun of people's faith in the market in which case you have at least a semblance of a point, or you truly are just talking about "God" when it has no relevance to the topic at hand, in which case you are simply a moron. For the love of "God", as well as all our sakes, I hope it was you making fun of faith in the market. 

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 781
Points 13,130

Cab21, I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt, by being as charitable to your posts as possible. Either you are making fun of people's faith in the market in which case you have at least a semblance of a point, or you truly are just talking about "God" when it has no relevance to the topic at hand, in which case you are simply a moron. For the love of "God", as well as all our sakes, I hope it was you making fun of faith in the market.

I think he's just a militant atheist of the Left with an axe to grind. What's funny is that, given the nature of his sarcasm, he must think most libertarians are Christians. I suspect he thinks I'm a Christian, hence he's followed me around to several threads making sarcastic comments about God.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 639
Points 11,575
cab21 replied on Mon, Aug 6 2012 11:34 PM

inherit the Earth: The Biblical Blueprint for Economics Gary North

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,255
Points 36,010
William replied on Mon, Aug 6 2012 11:36 PM

Okie dokey I'm making a mod decision.

It's time to pull a "freedom4me".  Any posts by cab about  his relation to religion go here in "Cab's theology thead":

http://mises.org/Community/forums/p/30330/483306.aspx#483306

All posts on such issues from here on out on other threads will be deleted

"I am not an ego along with other egos, but the sole ego: I am unique. Hence my wants too are unique, and my deeds; in short, everything about me is unique" Max Stirner
Page 2 of 2 (54 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS