Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Gathering the good forum posts

This post has 23 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 871
Points 21,030
eliotn Posted: Tue, Aug 7 2012 1:47 PM

Hello.  I feel that some forum-goers here make some excellent posts.  However it feels like I can never find them all, and I feel that they should be gathered in some database for others to read.  I know that there is a list of links that is given to visitors by someone on this site.  However, I would like it if they could be compiled, as I am very interested in reading them.

Schools are labour camps.

• | Post Points: 95
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,490

Could very well be part of my project Liberty HQ:

http://candlemind.com/projects/progclub/file/michael/educate.php

One of the founding purposes is to aggregate and categorize libertarian content.

If people post important posts here, I could as I go along add them in (if we can make them into articles, probably, not just posts).

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 233
Points 4,440
Cortes replied on Tue, Aug 7 2012 9:22 PM

I've found the search engine here wanting. Like most of the forum software, it's pretty decrepit.

I'd be willing to donate to move the database to ipboard or something similar.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 7,105
Points 115,240
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

It would be great to have better software.

Have you tried searching by google via the 'site:' command ? <site:mises.org/community/forums words you are searching for >

Where there is no property there is no justice; a proposition as certain as any demonstration in Euclid

Fools! not to see that what they madly desire would be a calamity to them as no hands but their own could bring

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 233
Points 4,440
Cortes replied on Tue, Aug 7 2012 9:40 PM

Yep, I've used that method for other forums too.

The problem is that many forum databases are not always fully archived at certain points in time, so even Google will be unable to find said old threads that were once searchable. 

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,552
Points 46,640
AJ replied on Wed, Aug 8 2012 10:15 AM

I think the OP is looking for a sort of "Best Of" from all the good stuff that falls out of random conversations here only to eventually end up on page 27. 

An easy crowdsourced way to do this: have people post here some examples of what they themselves deem their best posts, or even the most illuminating conversations/threads they've participated in so far.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,490
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,490
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 871
Points 21,030
eliotn replied on Sat, Aug 11 2012 8:38 PM

Thanks guys.

What I had specifically in mind, and should have mentioned this in the OP, is that I would like to be able to find posts made by Clayton.  I like reading them.  The forum search tool is helpful but I feel that it always misses posts.

• | Post Points: 50
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,490
Wheylous replied on Sat, Aug 11 2012 9:58 PM

Oh. Just Clayton...

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 871
Points 21,030
eliotn replied on Sat, Aug 11 2012 11:48 PM

Oh. Just Clayton...

but others are nice.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,739
Points 60,635
Marko replied on Sun, Aug 12 2012 3:39 AM

Click on the user's post count number. This will open the list of all the posts ever made by the user in reverse chronological order.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 871
Points 21,030
eliotn replied on Sun, Aug 12 2012 9:25 AM

Click on the user's post count number. This will open the list of all the posts ever made by the user in reverse chronological order.

Thank you!

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,493
Points 39,355
Malachi replied on Sun, Aug 12 2012 10:21 AM
Clayton should be a prominent libertarian writer. Well, he is already. But you guys know what I mean. Clayton, since you have so many fans, do you ever consider publishing outside the forums? Or do you do that already?
Keep the faith, Strannix. -Casey Ryback, Under Siege (Steven Seagal)
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,490
Wheylous replied on Sun, Aug 12 2012 10:24 AM

He is writing a book.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,493
Points 39,355
Malachi replied on Sun, Aug 12 2012 10:29 AM
Outstanding!
Keep the faith, Strannix. -Casey Ryback, Under Siege (Steven Seagal)
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 6,885
Points 121,845
Clayton replied on Sun, Aug 12 2012 11:49 AM

Wow, I'm flattered to have a thread to myself... kind of like F4M.

@Wheylous: I was working on a book but I've put that on pause as a result of increased workload at my day job and my new interest in astrology. Instead, I'm working on putting together a series of YT vids, the first installment is here. I hope to use these as a new foundation for a book later on, we'll see.

Clayton -

http://voluntaryistreader.wordpress.com
Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 853
Points 17,830

AJ:
An easy crowdsourced way to do this: have people post here some examples of what they themselves deem their best posts, or even the most illuminating conversations/threads they've participated in so far.

Here are some of mine:

Estoppel – Argumentation Ethics – Aggression

Homeschool vs Formal School

What Law Is

10 approaches in making the case for liberty or anarchy

How To Rescue a Child (without the State)

Why Anarchy Fails (aka What factors determine whether a society will be anarchic or statist?)

Law in “practice” in an anarcho-capitalist society

Dispute Resolution System in a Libertarian Society

The Disutility of Labor as a Category of Action

Hulsmann’s ‘A Theory of Interest’

What’s the Action Axiom?

Simultaneous Actions

There are probably some great ones that I'm forgetting.  Some of the most illuminating threads for me were ones I didn't take part in (including some I read here before I started posting). 

I got most of these by clicking on "Your Discussions" in the drop-down box - a function which it took me years (literally) to discover existed.  Very useful... quicker than scrolling through pages of my individual posts.  It would be great if there was a way to view a list of other peoples discussions (rather than individual posts) in the same way, but I doubt there is. 

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,439
Points 44,650
Neodoxy replied on Mon, Aug 13 2012 11:17 AM

Oh and as for the OP. I think that it might be a good idea for people to make this thread a sticky thread, and in future people should put up posts they thought were quality ones. This is important both in order to give that much more material from which to come up with an argument, but also to really make available some of the amazing ideas that have been and are continually being expressed on this site.

At last those coming came and they never looked back With blinding stars in their eyes but all they saw was black...
Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 295
Points 4,255
David B replied on Mon, Aug 13 2012 12:04 PM

This is a recursive post...

There are two ways it's good.  The mysticism conversation, and the idea of aggregating quality monologues or dialogues from the forum posts.

The forum is a phenomenal tool for generating these quality bits of knowledge, or knowledge exploration.

But it may not be a good mechanism for building cohesive views.

This goes into something I've been thinking about more and more over the years.

There's a real line between individual/social.  The two realms impact each other very much.

In this case, the posts are a mechanism for social exploration of knowledge and social production of knowledge.

But for a consumer of knowledge (like when I read different articles or books about various topics) is to evolve my internal tools for understanding the phenomena I encounter in the world.  

So, the forum serves all of us when we come to interact around a topic, but how do we save it for reference for those of us who want to research what's been said about a topic we may be ignorant of?

I don't think the forum is the mechanism, it's a generation tool, not an educational tool.  There's some hubris implied in assuming that content from our discussions might in fact be educational, but hey, if other members find a high amount of value from certain posts, is there a way other than simple links to forum posts from another stickied forum post?

It might be useful to go through on a regular basis and have people extract and post some of the discussions to a wiki or a blog, with appropriate tagging to make it searchable.  Then it might be easier to link to even in our ongoing discussions.  That's a labor of love though, who wants that job?  

We're an individualist group anyway, so I'm guessing it would be a voluntary thing if it happens.  So, my only remaining question would be is there a wiki mechanism associated with the mises site?

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135
John James replied on Mon, Aug 13 2012 12:17 PM

David B:
So, my only remaining question would be is there a wiki mechanism associated with the mises site?

You mean like this?

wiki.mises.org

Not Ranked
Posts 99
Points 3,540
aervew replied on Sun, Aug 19 2012 7:07 PM

please gather the best posts of the guy with the bastiat avatar. i always find myself agreeing and being enlightened by him the most :)

Page 1 of 1 (24 items) | RSS