Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Finance/economics weeklies

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 6 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Male
5,255 Posts
Points 80,815
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator
Jon Irenicus posted on Fri, Aug 17 2012 3:50 PM

I'd appreciate if anyone familiar with the following publications could offer any recommendations on them:

-Wall Street Journal

-Financial Times

-MoneyWeek

-Investor's Chronicle

-Motley Fool

-Bloomberg Businessweek

I am basically looking for a publication that is suited to someone who is a novice in investing, looking to move to it as a primary source of income, basically that is suited at tracking well performing companies and economies, and providing analysis on various economies, sectors and economies, to give an idea of where is a good focal area for investments. I don't want to overload myself though with info as I already follow other online publications more focused on economics.

I am also trying to compare the WSJ vs the FT for more generic economic analysis. Which of these two is superior these days? Can anyone also comment on Frank Shostak's website on investing, and how digestible it is? I am trying to essentially thin the list above down to two. Alternative suggestions are welcome but as I said, I'm looking to narrow it down.

I am already familiar with Bloomberg's Businessweek and I am not that impressed. I've got a line of books on investment I plan to read, but this is more for keeping up to date with the market. I tend to follow Mises.org and the Daily Capitalist (and before that, ZeroHedge) for theoretical economic analysis and EP for tidbits, but obviously this is different to what I am after.

Freedom of markets is positively correlated with the degree of evolution in any society...

• | Post Points: 20

All Replies

Top 10 Contributor
Male
5,255 Posts
Points 80,815
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

Bump.

Freedom of markets is positively correlated with the degree of evolution in any society...

Top 500 Contributor
304 Posts
Points 4,800

Avoid Motley Fool. Several years ago they were good, but they really jumped the shark and peddle a lot of stupid crap now.

I can't recommend CXO Advisory enough. It's a serious site for serious investors that does serious analysis on a sector/style level. If I had to get all of my investment info from one source it would be that one. Their stuff is actionable immediately and pretty safe so it's good for a novice while having ridiculous amounts of great data for you to learn from. It won't help you pick individual stocks if you're into that (I'm not - too much risk for the meager payback), but it will help you make money investing.

Of the other sources you mentioned i like the WSJ the best strictly for investment info, however I think Investor's Business Daily is a better pick, especially if you want condensed info.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Male
358 Posts
Points 8,245

I had a subscription to FT for a while. I was impressed with the amount of coverage. It was very globally based. They may have a 2 week free trial offer on their website, so check that out. I haven't subscribed to WSJ, but WSJ seems more mainstream/U.S-centric/political (?)

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Male
5,255 Posts
Points 80,815
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

Thanks to both of you, I'll give those a look.

Top 500 Contributor
304 Posts
Points 4,800

WSJ is more US-centric. It is only mainstream/political in certain sections, which isn't where the investment info resides anyway.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
5,255 Posts
Points 80,815
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

For my yearly act of threadromancy, I hereby revive this thread.

So has anyone else been using either of CXO Advisory or IBD and if so how useful have you found them?

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS