Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Fear and Losing Control

rated by 0 users
This post has 54 Replies | 13 Followers

Not Ranked
Male
Posts 50
Points 1,165
ForumsAdministrator
jmw Posted: Thu, Jul 17 2008 3:42 PM

I read this article that inspired me to write this post.

In a nutshell: The less control we think we have over ourselves, the more we abritrarily cede control to authority. If we cannot do it ourselves we hope, even expect something else to do it for us.

Is this why we sit in cubicles doing mindless work we hate? Or is it necessity that causes us to cede control? Does a belief in a benevolent god and strong state have the same root?

• | Post Points: 80
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 515
Points 8,495
fsk replied on Fri, Jul 18 2008 9:13 AM

People waste their lives in cubicles because they were conditioned to accept cubicle life as part of their schooling/brainwashing.

People work in cubicles because the State restricts their employment opportunities.  It's very hard to start your own business.

(Writing this post from a cubicle.)

I have my own blog at FSK's Guide to Reality. Let me know if you like it.

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Male
Posts 75
Points 1,260

Agreed.  Even the much maligned lazy person would be able to more easily get an easy job that would suit him which would pay more than equivalent jobs (ceterus paribus) due to free entry and the rational allocation of resources.

(Writing this from home.)

• | Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
Male
Posts 633
Points 11,275
Torsten replied on Fri, Jul 18 2008 10:06 AM

jmw:
Is this why we sit in cubicles doing mindless work we hate? Or is it necessity that causes us to cede control? Does a belief in a benevolent god and strong state have the same root?

This belief may appeal to the same needs. Interestingly the growth and embracing of state power seems to be correlated with the decay of religion and growth of agonsticism/atheism. People seem to want to rely on something that is in control of the things they don't.

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,687
Points 22,990
Bogart replied on Fri, Jul 18 2008 10:26 AM

The state is easier to appease than consumers are.  So people accept the edicts of the state, the devil they kind of know, against the unknown marketplace.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 5,538
Points 93,790
Juan replied on Fri, Jul 18 2008 3:16 PM
Interestingly the growth and embracing of state power seems to be correlated with the decay of religion and growth of agonsticism/atheism
Revealed religion has been quite close or even identical to the most brutal forms of statism. Besides, agnosticism is rather different from atheism.

February 17 - 1600 - Giordano Bruno is burnt alive by the catholic church.
Aquinas : "much more reason is there for heretics, as soon as they are convicted of heresy, to be not only excommunicated but even put to death."

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 659
Points 13,990
ama gi replied on Fri, Jul 18 2008 4:28 PM

the power of nightmares

"As long as there are sovereign nations possessing great power, war is inevitable."

Top 150 Contributor
Male
Posts 633
Points 11,275
Torsten replied on Fri, Jul 18 2008 4:53 PM

Juan:
Interestingly the growth and embracing of state power seems to be correlated with the decay of religion and growth of agonsticism/atheism
Revealed religion has been quite close or even identical to the most brutal forms of statism. Besides, agnosticism is rather different from atheism.
Could you give an example for that and explain how this is related? Differences between agnosticism and atheism are irrelevant in the context.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 5,538
Points 93,790
Juan replied on Fri, Jul 18 2008 5:19 PM
Well, what about looking up the history of the catholic church for starters ?

Aquinas : "much more reason is there for heretics, as soon as they are convicted of heresy, to be not only excommunicated but even put to death."

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 862
Points 15,105

WARNING: peaceniks stop reading now.

I did find that I was more open to the concept of a 'benevolent deity' during my war profiteering days when my life was in constant peril and I was powerless to do anything about it. The whole 'there is no such thing as an athiest in a foxhole' theory I suppose.

Never really 'found god' but I have been more at peace with the world since then.

I am a lot less likely to cede control these days, I don't really hate my mindless job but I also don't jump through all the hoops they expect me to since I don't really accept that they have 'authority' over me--they simply purchase my labor and pretty much just get what they pay for.

Same with government, they leave me alone and I will follow most of their arbritrary rules but that's mostly since I generally don't act in an 'immoral' manner to begin with so they really have no cause to take issue with my behavior. There are a few exceptions, I haven't shown up for jury duty yet after two summons and haven't filed a tax return for at least six years--doesn't matter anyway since I allegedly owe them a bunch of money so they do it for me and keep my refund. Didn't get my $600 dollar inflationary check though which is somewhat disappointing.

I would doubt that the benevolent god and strong state is related because the god of the Jews 'told' them on multiple occasions of the pitfalls of a State and they did alright without one for a long while until they couldn't resist the temptation to go against the advise of their god and appoint a king. If you believe in that sort of thing that is.

My personal theory on this is that a weak state leads to a strong state because people see others gaming the system and want in on some of that action themselves. They have no problem with the coersive powers they create through this process if the coercion benefits them and when it doesn't then it isn't a problem inherent in the system they built but simply a matter of displacing the group that currently benefits with their group as soon as the first chance arises. The 'small government' Republicans displace the 'big government' Democrats after 25 years in control of both houses of congress and use the systems that the Dems built to benefit their favored groups instead of attacking the coercion and corruption at its heart which was well within their power.

Now the Dems are trying to get 'their man' in charge so they can take back the power and reap the benefits. Seeing no real connection between the abuses commited by the Republicans and the strong State they want to give the state even more power to fix this problem of corruption at the heart of the system.

Who knows, I think I strayed a bit from the original topic.

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 175
Points 4,205
ChaseCola replied on Sat, Jul 19 2008 2:38 AM

Anonymous Coward:

Same with government, they leave me alone and I will follow most of their arbritrary rules but that's mostly since I generally don't act in an 'immoral' manner to begin with so they really have no cause to take issue with my behavior. There are a few exceptions, I haven't shown up for jury duty yet after two summons and haven't filed a tax return for at least six years--doesn't matter anyway since I allegedly owe them a bunch of money so they do it for me and keep my refund. Didn't get my $600 dollar inflationary check though which is somewhat disappointing.

Isn't there 5% interest a day or something like that? You have some serious balls.

"The plans differ; the planners are all alike"

-Bastiat

Top 150 Contributor
Male
Posts 633
Points 11,275
Torsten replied on Sat, Jul 19 2008 2:43 AM

Juan:

That's a claim, not even an example let alone does this explain the point you possibly were trying to make

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 862
Points 15,105

ChaseCola:
Isn't there 5% interest a day or something like that? You have some serious balls.

Nah, the penalties and interest work out to be real close to my projected return. The way it is now I figure it will get paid off somewhere near the turn of the next century if they don't just write it off at the seven year deadline or whenever they need to refile the charges.

But that doesn't matter since they can't legally charge interest and penalties because they weren't in full compliance with the Paperwork Reduction Act of 1996 and one of the clauses of that act is that it can be used as a defense in the administrative or court phase. Something like that, I think that's why they leave me alone anyway.

Until they come into full compliance with that act they can't legally compel anyone to file a tax return. Well, if the judicial branch would actually look into it instead of trying to set precedent based on the theory that the IRS claims they are in compliance by printing it on their forms so therefore they are in compliance. But I really don't expect that to happen as they have a serious conflict of interest since they are paid from tax dollars and have a direct financial interest in seeing that they get collected.

That's my theory anyway, the important thing is that they leave me alone.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 5,538
Points 93,790
Juan replied on Sat, Jul 19 2008 1:03 PM
Torsten:
Juan:
That's a claim, not even an example let alone does this explain the point you possibly were trying to make
I didn't make a claim but a suggestion. Now this is a claim : the very close connection between church and state is a historical fact. And using fraud to control ignorant and/or naive people is perhaps the oldest form of 'government', known as theocracy.

• | Post Points: 35
Not Ranked
Male
Posts 75
Points 1,260

Religion and government are two subsets of ideology, which is to say ideas not based on reality but upon the desire of some people to control others.  The structural similarities between government and religion, the nature of their propaganda and the fact that they frequently occupied the same or overlapping positions through 99% of human history illustrates this similarity/congruity.  Democratism and Statism generally is the new religion.  Rockwell and Hoppe accurately describe the tension between Church and State at present as one of ideological competition, but what they fail to acknowledge is that this competition used to be the other way around.  In the past religion justified privelege, violence, power and authority.  Republicanism viewed a 'rational' organization of government as a way to get what they wanted.  They replaced religious with 'constitutional' justifications, and ecclesiasticism and divine right bureacracies with technocratic and demagogic bureacracies.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,205
Points 20,670
JAlanKatz replied on Sat, Jul 19 2008 11:13 PM

R.J. Moore II:
Religion and government are two subsets of ideology, which is to say ideas not based on reality but upon the desire of some people to control others. 

Well, this is the kind of thing that makes perfect sense to a non-believer and looks like utter gibberish to a believer, right?

Not Ranked
Male
Posts 75
Points 1,260

JAlanKatz:

R.J. Moore II:
Religion and government are two subsets of ideology, which is to say ideas not based on reality but upon the desire of some people to control others. 

Well, this is the kind of thing that makes perfect sense to a non-believer and looks like utter gibberish to a believer, right?

Yes, in the same way that a statist will think you are a maniac if you tell him a bunch of petty men made up an imaginary thing called 'government' to get him to enslave himself to them.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,205
Points 20,670
JAlanKatz replied on Sun, Jul 20 2008 12:02 AM

R.J. Moore II:
Yes, in the same way that a statist will think you are a maniac if you tell him a bunch of petty men made up an imaginary thing called 'government' to get him to enslave himself to them.

Ok, but I tell you that water is imaginary and made up by Walmart, you will probably give me the same look.  The point being, it isn't the look that's important, it's whether or not the thing really exists.  So, to you, the idea that God is false and that government is made up to exploit people both look obvious, and those doubting either look the same - like control freaks.  To me, on the other hand, while it makes perfect sense to say that government was dreampt up to exploit people, telling me that religion exists only to control people looks as crazy as my water-Walmart claim does to you.  Just because some claims of that form are true, and yet not believed and considered to be crazy, doesn't prove that all such claims are true, even if they are considered to be crazy.

To me, it is absurd to suggest that the purpose of religion is control, since I believe that my religion was literally revealed by G-d on a mountaintop.  Unless you mean G-d's control of humans, which I'm tempted to agree is the purpose, but isn't something I'm opposed to.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 862
Points 15,105

JAlanKatz:
To me, it is absurd to suggest that the purpose of religion is control, since I believe that my religion was literally revealed by G-d on a mountaintop.  Unless you mean G-d's control of humans, which I'm tempted to agree is the purpose, but isn't something I'm opposed to.

You seriously can't see that there is a disconnect between the original christian church (to use your example) and the system that is in place today with the Pope sitting up high with a direct line to G-d on the Red Phone sitting on his desk?

Same with the Jews, Jesus took issue with their form of coercive religion and was killed for it.

Or Mohammad sending his 'flock' out in Mercedes filled with explosives to blow up civilians in direct opposition to his rules of warfare.

Or Martin Luther?

It's a big step from a few people sitting around on rocks in the desert praying to having a class of people with a monopoly on the functioning of a religious society.

Not Ranked
Male
Posts 75
Points 1,260

Well, since you support your argument with a story you are telling about a character who isn't consistent internally or with reality I can't really argue with you.  It only looks crazy because, for some reason, you have accepted a logically impossible story as a historical narrative.  What people think is of course important to them, and important in terms of how they will act, but it is not relevant to the truth of an idea.  And since we do live in an objective reality where laws of logic apply, neither god nor the state can be made logical sense of.  This can be said with certainty.  That some people will not accept this is of psychological and historical significance, but not philosophical.

Top 150 Contributor
Male
Posts 633
Points 11,275
Torsten replied on Sun, Jul 20 2008 5:05 AM

Juan:
Torsten:
Juan:
I didn't make a claim but a suggestion. Now this is a claim : the very close connection between church and state is a historical fact. And using fraud to control ignorant and/or naive people is perhaps the oldest form of 'government', known as theocracy.

Your suggestion did actually contain a claim or do you want to deny that? The claim implied was that the history of the catholic church would support your point. That there is a relationship between the church and state isn't in dispute. However it is also a fact that the church counterbalanced many political abuses throughout Western history, because it provided ordinary folk with an alternative authority to turn, too. That both political and religious institutions often act in hegemony can be subscribed to the fact that there was an ideological hegemony in existence.

While the occurence of religious fraud is not in dispute - You still would have to prove that this is universally the case.

An interesting article on the subject by Ralph Raico: http://mises.org/story/2404 

I think Walther Block has written something interesting on this as well.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 5,538
Points 93,790
Juan replied on Sun, Jul 20 2008 1:27 PM
That there is a relationship between the church and state isn't in dispute. However it is also a fact that the church counterbalanced many political abuses throughout Western history, because it provided ordinary folk with an alternative authority to turn to.
I don't think that's true. The church and the state were basically the same thing. It was the church who decided what 'heresy' meant while the burning was done by the 'secular arm' (acting according to the wishes of the church of course). The church also commanded armies I think ? Maybe these soldiers turned the other cheek ?
While the occurence of religious fraud is not in dispute - You still would have to prove that this is universally the case.
Why do I 'have to' ? All revealed religion is religious fraud.
I think Walther Block has written something interesting on this as well.
I read Block's article posted on LRC and I was not impressed by it at all. Arguments like "well the church was not that bad because it killed less people than the state" don't seem sound to me.

Raico : "In this way, Berman bolsters Lord Acton's analysis of the central role of the Catholic church in generating Western liberty by forestalling any concentration of power"

I'm afraid I disagree no matter what Acton thought about his church.

It seems to me that for every Quaker who's a real pacifist there are a thousand 'christians' who are quite happy blowing up (or firebombing) civilians in the middle east, in asia, or even in christian Europe...

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,205
Points 20,670
JAlanKatz replied on Sun, Jul 20 2008 2:30 PM

Anonymous Coward:

You seriously can't see that there is a disconnect between the original christian church (to use your example) and the system that is in place today with the Pope sitting up high with a direct line to G-d on the Red Phone sitting on his desk?

Same with the Jews, Jesus took issue with their form of coercive religion and was killed for it.

I don't see how that's my example, my particular case in point was Judaism, which I hold was revealed on Sinai.  Jesus was turned over to Roman authorities by one Jew, and according to the Talmud, there were many rabbis arguing that this was inappropriate.  He did more than take issue with the religion, though, he also, for instance, declared himself King.

Top 150 Contributor
Male
Posts 633
Points 11,275
Torsten replied on Sun, Jul 20 2008 3:37 PM

Juan:
I read Block's article posted on LRC and I was not impressed by it at all. Arguments like "well the church was not that bad because it killed less people than the state" don't seem sound to me.
I think that's the core fallacy of your "argument" - There is no such thing as the church. In fact there were/are various types of churches. And within that there were various roleplayers, as well as streams of thought. So what your argument boils down to, is the following: Because there was wrongdoing of some of the roleplayers, All the roleplayers and by that the institution itself must be false, wrong, evil or whatever. Block did however have a look at the bigger picture an stressed that counterbalancing role churches did play during history against the political roleplayers. There's of course more to look at, since Christianity was the set of ideas that influenced many people and hence ideas in Western Civilization. Well that doesn't mean one has to embrace all the televangelists, crusaders, philozionists etc. that populate many churches. Just because that favoring the idea of liberty, doesn't mean that we have to embrace every single bomb planter that opposes government, now does it?

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 5,538
Points 93,790
Juan replied on Sun, Jul 20 2008 4:31 PM
I think that's the core fallacy of your "argument" - There is no such thing as the church.
But there's such thing as revealed religion and churches, and the historical record shows their evil actions. And that's especially true with regards to the oh so great western religion. As far as I can tell buddhists for instance have a more consistent respect for peace than christians do.
So what your argument boils down to, is the following: Because there was wrongdoing of some of the roleplayers,
I'd rather say there was wrongdoing of a large amount of 'roleplayers'
All the roleplayers and by that the institution itself must be false, wrong, evil or whatever.
I didn't say all roleplayers - I explicitly acknowledged that there are exceptions. I do claim the 'institution' is false, wrong, evil and whatever, though.
Block did however have a look at the bigger picture an stressed that counterbalancing role churches did play during history against the political roleplayers
Which is doublethink. Churches are political players. So at the very least he should say they were 'benign' political players - but mostly they were not.
There's of course more to look at, since Christianity was the set of ideas that influenced many people and hence ideas in Western Civilization.
A general and vague claim. Yes, some christian ideas imply respect for individuals but christians didn't invent those ideas and often violated them.
Well that doesn't mean one has to embrace all the televangelists, crusaders, philozionists etc. that populate many churches.
So a lot of christianity is the mess you just described, no ? And they explicitly support the mass killings the state carries on every day, right ?
Just because that favoring the idea of liberty, doesn't mean that we have to embrace every single bomb planter that opposes government, now does it?
I don't understand that sentence.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 862
Points 15,105

JAlanKatz:

Anonymous Coward:

I don't see how that's my example, my particular case in point was Judaism, which I hold was revealed on Sinai.  Jesus was turned over to Roman authorities by one Jew, and according to the Talmud, there were many rabbis arguing that this was inappropriate.  He did more than take issue with the religion, though, he also, for instance, declared himself King.

Just a guess, I figured it was one of the Abrahamic religions.

I seem to remember a trial of Jesus that was instigated by the Jewish majority in that movie I saw.

Or him kicking over the moneychanger's tables that were part of a scheme by the church to skim from the tax dollars that were required to be paid by the citizens.

Jim Morrison declared himself the Lizard King, why should anyone care enough to kill that person just because they declared themselves King unless you accept the validity of their claim?

Eric Clapton's nickname is God, should we kill him too?

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 5,255
Points 80,815
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

Weren't the guys who turned him over to the Romans a small extremist sect?

-Jon

Freedom of markets is positively correlated with the degree of evolution in any society...

Top 150 Contributor
Male
Posts 633
Points 11,275
Torsten replied on Mon, Jul 21 2008 12:00 PM

The full sentence was:

Just because that one is favoring the idea of liberty, doesn't mean that we have to embrace every single bomb planter that opposes government, now does it?

It's seems that your whole reason for not acknowledging the positive role christianity played in Western history boils down to abuses by a few as well as general human fallibility being misrepresented for the sake of creating a "christianity" straw man.

On the other hand all the moral, philosophical and yes also scientific impulses that christianity lead to are simply ignored.  

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 3,056
Points 78,245

Torsten:

The full sentence was:

Just because that one is favoring the idea of liberty, doesn't mean that we have to embrace every single bomb planter that opposes government, now does it?

It's seems that your whole reason for not acknowledging the positive role christianity played in Western history boils down to abuses by a few as well as general human fallibility being misrepresented for the sake of creating a "christianity" straw man.

On the other hand all the moral, philosophical and yes also scientific impulses that christianity lead to are simply ignored.  

Well I reject the premise that Christianity has enhanced liberty in "the west". On the contrary, I'd argue that what has enhanced liberty in "the west" has been the revival of Greek (and particularly Aristotilean) thought, and liberty began to increase precisely when religious orthodoxy was beginning to be seriously questioned (I.E. the enlightenment). Practically all of the proto-libertarian thinkers throughout western history were not really Christians (at least by traditional standards), they were deists at best.

Of course, I also view the formal Christian religion (not so much the original Christians, which was just a particular flavor of Judaism, such as the Nazoreans) as a direct product of the Roman state to begin with, for the purposes of unifying the public so that they can more easily be controled. Furthermore, I view traditional Christian morality as the perfect ideology to enable servitude, and it really does seem to boil down to a strong emphasis on servitude and sacrifice.

• | Post Points: 50
Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 117
Points 1,840
Stolz2525 replied on Mon, Jul 21 2008 12:24 PM

Jon Irenicus:

Weren't the guys who turned him over to the Romans a small extremist sect?

-Jon

Technically, yes.  However, that small extremist sect (the pharisees) were also in the seat of power during that time.  And they didn't just turn him over, they stood in force and demanded his execution even though Pilate said he found nothing to convict him with.

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 117
Points 1,840
Stolz2525 replied on Mon, Jul 21 2008 12:32 PM

Brainpolice:
Well I reject the premise that Christianity has enhanced liberty in "the west".

Weren't you just condemming the historical school in another thread, or was that someone else?  A Christian strickly following the New Testament (or even a Jew strickly adhering to the Old) isn't going to infringe on your rights in any way at all.

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 3,056
Points 78,245

Stolz2525:

Brainpolice:
Well I reject the premise that Christianity has enhanced liberty in "the west".

Weren't you just condemming the historical school in another thread, or was that someone else?  A Christian strickly following the New Testament (or even a Jew strickly adhering to the Old) isn't going to infringe on your rights in any way at all.

That must have been someone else.

Please explain to me how a strict adherance to the bible would naturally lead to a purely voluntaristic ethic. I fail to see this. From what I can tell, at least in America, the vast majority of self-identified "Christians" use the bible to inform their politics, which leads them to advocate state policies enforcing their religious preferances onto the masses. You can of course point me to libertarians or anarchists who are Christians, but such people are an exception to the general rule and do not represent a common interpretation of the bible.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 862
Points 15,105

Brainpolice:
I'd argue that what has enhanced liberty in "the west" has been the revival of Greek (and particularly Aristotilean) thought, and liberty began to increase precisely when religious orthodoxy was beginning to be seriously questioned (I.E. the enlightenment).

There is a theory that the followers of Mohammad, before the Turkish corruption, were the main source of Liberty flowing back into the west.

It isn't too coincidental that the Enlightment started in cities who were major international trading centers that had weak central governments and spread out from there. Or that Spain under European rule had a signifigant number of people who were formerly free embark upon the dangerous voyage to the New World to seek freedom and escape the Spanish Inquisition.

Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition.

Top 150 Contributor
Male
Posts 523
Points 8,850
Solredime replied on Mon, Jul 21 2008 1:50 PM

Juan:

Yeh, there's a nice little number I found here: http://users.erols.com/mwhite28/warstatz.htm#RelCon

809,215,732 death toll from religious wars. Some of the data may be dubious though, so even if we assume that only 50% of it is correct, that would still be the equivalent of over 67 holocausts.

At which point in time, I don't really care about the goodness and spirituality that religion may bring about in people. Since I don't think there's any truth value in it anyway, then considering the death toll, the consequences of religion by far outweigh any benefits. This number also destroys the idea that religion is somehow an incentive for morality.

P.S. If someone has the time and knowledge, it would be nice if they could critically analyse that source to see how much of it is credible or not.

Not Ranked
Male
Posts 50
Points 1,165
ForumsAdministrator
jmw replied on Mon, Jul 21 2008 2:06 PM

Careful not to lay the blame soley on religious institutions..it's the human mind that made them up, and the human that acted on the atrocities. Fervently held "-isms"can lead to all sorts of bad things--regardless of intentions.

To those who doubt the value of religion consider the order Confucianism brought to the Warring states period. Consider the monoculture that Christianity created in Europe--and the great thinkers who were, incidentally, monks. Inherent truth or falsehood of belief is irrelevant in these cases.

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 3,056
Points 78,245

Oh yes, what an oh so great "monoculture" of theocracy and mercantalism Europe had.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,205
Points 20,670
JAlanKatz replied on Mon, Jul 21 2008 2:24 PM

Fred Furash:

Yeh, there's a nice little number I found here: http://users.erols.com/mwhite28/warstatz.htm#RelCon

809,215,732 death toll from religious wars. Some of the data may be dubious though, so even if we assume that only 50% of it is correct, that would still be the equivalent of over 67 holocausts.

Well, I don't think that my religious belief implies believing that bad things aren't done in the name of religion.  Aren't bad things done in the name of anarchy?  But, this kind of argument only matters if you start out by believing that religion is false.  If it is true, this is irrelevant.  If the world weren't made better through religion, then G-d wouldn't have taught it to us. 

Here's a question - if people hadn't killed each other over religion, what else might they have killed each other over?  Who is to say that those deaths, and more, couldn't have come about in wars fought over other topics?

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 515
Points 8,495
fsk replied on Mon, Jul 21 2008 2:32 PM

Religion helps support war.

It's one thing to tell soldiers "If you die in combat, you will rewarded with an eternity of pleasure."

It's another thing to tell soldiers "If you die in combat, that's it, it's over.  You wasted the only life you get."

Christianity is a slave religion.  If you brainwash people "It's acceptable to suffer abuse while living, because you will be rewarded after you die", then you're training people to be slaves.

Anybody who claims they know what happens after you die is a fool/troll or is conning you.

I have my own blog at FSK's Guide to Reality. Let me know if you like it.

Top 150 Contributor
Male
Posts 523
Points 8,850
Solredime replied on Mon, Jul 21 2008 3:03 PM

JAlanKatz:

Here's a question - if people hadn't killed each other over religion, what else might they have killed each other over?  Who is to say that those deaths, and more, couldn't have come about in wars fought over other topics?

What kind of an argument is that? So you're saying that just because people might still kill each other for another reason, we shouldn't get rid of the current one?

But yeh fsk is right, religion is one of if not the greatest incentive for war on a soldier level.

Top 150 Contributor
Male
Posts 523
Points 8,850
Solredime replied on Mon, Jul 21 2008 3:06 PM

jmw:

Careful not to lay the blame soley on religious institutions..it's the human mind that made them up, and the human that acted on the atrocities.

For the sake of argument, let's replace "religious institutions" with "government". See what we get:

"Careful not to lay the blame soley on government..it's the human mind that made them up, and the human that acted on the atrocities."

Oh look, a wonderful defense of statism...except it's not.

Page 1 of 2 (55 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS