Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Scandal! RevPac Founder Reveals Juicy Behind The Scenes Details

rated by 0 users
This post has 22 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 209
Points 3,595
Anarcho-libertarian Posted: Fri, Aug 24 2012 11:29 PM

In this report by Gary Franchi, who founded the Ron Paul supporting RevolutionPac along with Tom Woods, I found some statements to be pretty interesting.

First of all, Justin Amash responded to the idea in this video that Amash is going to endorse Mitt Romney after the convention by saying, "I am not endorsing anyone other than Ron Paul. I will help the Republican nominee after the convention."

Second, I have always wondered whether Rand Paul is pretending to be a neocon light. He could be going along with the neocons so that he can win the Presidency, at which point he will reveal himself, or he actually believes in neocon ideas, which I find hard to fathom considering who his father is. I think it was John James who said that falling away from austro-libertarian ideas into being a  neocon/liberal just doesn't happen.  That would be like going to the moon and then coming back to earth and joining the flat earth society. Franchi says that Rand is faking it, an idea spawned by the leadership of the "go-along-to-get-along" gang in Ron Paul's inner circle - Jesse Benton and John Tate.

Franchi states that Benton and Tate worked to undermine the efforts of the Revolution superPAC. This vindicates what Adam Kokesh and Scott Horton have been saying about Benton.

In that video, Kokesh plays a clip from Anti-War radios Scott Horton who says at around 3:50 -

"So, bold idea, how about for Ron Paul's commercials you run clips of Ron Paul sayin stuff! You know, the thing that made everybody love him! No, you know what? Lets do another flash animation of how Ron Paul is like a pickup truck! Maybe we can get the party platform adjusted and that will make Jesse Benton more money in the future.

It is time for all people who love Ron Paul in America to declare war on Jesse Benton. We need a fire Jesse Benton campaign to start RIGHT NOW!"

Tom Woods was talking about this about a year ago and said that eventually all would be revealed. This video is a part of that.
Check out my video, Ron Paul vs Lincoln! And share my PowerPoint with your favorite neo-con
  • | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,490
Wheylous replied on Fri, Aug 24 2012 11:39 PM

This seriously does not stand out from the list of spam we have going on right now :P

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 209
Points 3,595

Lol! So true. I hope you like the title as much as I do! So much for making it stand out.

Check out my video, Ron Paul vs Lincoln! And share my PowerPoint with your favorite neo-con
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,439
Points 44,650
Neodoxy replied on Fri, Aug 24 2012 11:58 PM

Seriously, this level of spamage needs to stop.

At last those coming came and they never looked back With blinding stars in their eyes but all they saw was black...
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 6,885
Points 121,845
Clayton replied on Sat, Aug 25 2012 1:07 AM

OK, since we're talking about RP irregularities anyway... I'm going to drop a bomb on this discussion, I mean like a 20-megaton H-bomb. It has been just bugging the hell out of me since I first ran across it. Listen to Rand Paul's answer to this question. See if you notice anything unusual about his response to Welch's question. Listen closely. Write down his repsonse if you have to.

Clayton -

http://voluntaryistreader.wordpress.com
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 6,885
Points 121,845
Clayton replied on Sat, Aug 25 2012 1:13 AM

I don't think it's actually spam in this case... I think it's more like jamming. We're little more than 60 days away from the November farce... the Daily Kos/moveon.org types are in hyper-drive and they are highly likely to mistake mises.org forums as "conservative" or "Republican-leaning" even though we spank the Republican party with a willow switch on a daily basis.

Clayton -

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

Anarcho-libertarian:
Second, I have always wondered whether Rand Paul is pretending to be a neocon light. He could be going along with the neocons so that he can win the Presidency, at which point he will reveal himself, or he could actually believes in neocon ideas, which I find hard to fathom considering who his father is. I think it was John James who said that falling away from austro-libertarian ideas into being a  neocon/liberal just doesn't happen.  That would be like going to the moon and then coming back to earth and joining the flat earth society.

Yeah that was from a lengthy discussion I had with Neo, here. (Part of the greatest hits collection )

But as was resurrected in the recent RNC thread, Rand Paul freely admitted he wasn't a libertarian years ago.  I have a hard time he's been pretending all this time, and is still going at it.  I mean, at what point do you go so deep undercover that you actually end up doing more harm to the supposed "real" cause, and more help to the false one?

Franchi says that Rand is faking it, an idea spawned by the leadership of the "go-along-to-get-along" gang in Ron Paul's inner circle - Jesse Benton and John Tate.

Whoa.  That's not at all the way I interpreted that.  You're saying that Rand was fooled into "go-along-to-get-along" by these two characters with their ulterior motives...and Rand is just an unsuspecting pawn?  That's not what I think, and it sure didn't sound like that's what Franchi thinks either.

Good job on the reference links with all the rest of that post.  I'll add these two threads as well.  They contain all the discussion and various links and videos outlining all this Ron / Benton / Rand stuff:

Ron Paul ends campaigning, but stays in the race for GOP nomination

The Rand Paul Conspiracy

Rand Paul...

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

Clayton:
OK, since we're talking about RP irregularities anyway... I'm going to drop a bomb on this discussion, I mean like a 20-megaton H-bomb. It has been just bugging the hell out of me since I first ran across it. Listen to Rand Paul's answer to this question. See if you notice anything unusual about his response to Welch's question. Listen closely. Write down his repsonse if you have to.

??

Clayton:
I don't think it's actually spam in this case... I think it's more like jamming. We're little more than 60 days away from the November farce... the Daily Kos/moveon.org types are in hyper-drive and they are highly likely to mistake mises.org forums as "conservative" or "Republican-leaning" even though we spank the Republican party with a willow switch on a daily basis.

Clayton -

I'm pretty sure they were talking about this.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 6,885
Points 121,845
Clayton replied on Sat, Aug 25 2012 2:24 AM

I'm pretty sure they were talking about this.

Ayep. As am I. You think they're above just flooding "enemy" forums with spam in order to impede discussion during "election" season?

Clayton -

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

oh is that seriously what you meant the first time?  You think that's all coming from Moveon.org?  I think your paranoia is flaring up more than usual again.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 244
Points 3,770
MMMark replied on Sat, Aug 25 2012 11:36 AM

Sat. 12/08/25 12:37 EDT
.post #237

I transcribed it:

Matt Welch: All the juice in American politics, basically since TARP and the bailouts, have been in that direction. Even if it's not specifically Tea Party, it's been in the direction towards cutting the size of government, freaking out about it and reacting that way. Why has it taken so long for people who work around here to realize that?

Rand Paul: Well, there is a disconnect and my dad used to always say that there's a lag time, you know, maybe of years, between what's going on in America and what's going on in Washington. And there's the lag time because maybe they're not truly connected to the people that well, they're not home as much as they used to be, but there's also a lag time because those in Washington are more concerned about furthering their career. And who do we see every day that comes in the office? Somebody with their hand out wanting money. Not poor people; rich people come in here with their hand out, and corporations, special interests, lobbyists...they all want something. In fact, one of my favorite little, ah, signs or stories is there's a Michigan congressman who's elected and he's got a sign up in his office and it says "If you've come looking for money you're in the wrong office." But that's what happens. So they get influenced by the wrong people and they are also self-preservation, they want to stay here once they get here, and to stay here they think you have to please the ah, the lobbyist. And I think the opposite may be true. See, like they don't want to talk about Social Security, in fact, they don't want me to talk about Social Security. I'm going to anyway, because....

Nick Gillespie: And who is "they" in this...?

Rand Paul: Well, let's just ... "they" ...

Nick Gillespie: Yeah, okay. (laughter)

Rand Paul: ...official wa...official Washington ... but anyway, you know, because they, they uh, they don't want us out in front of the issue, they want the president to absorb some of the blow - when you talk about entitlement(?), they think there will be blows - but I think even politically they've miscalculated, because I think people are hungry for someone who will step up and say "This is what's wrong and this is what I'm going to do to fix it." Look at who...look at the reaction of Chris Christie: He's nothing if nothing else he's frank, he's to the point, he's unafraid to say what's wrong, and all of a sudden people respect that, and I think even some of the media seems to be paying him some respect. So, I think it's a wrong political strategy and it's also wrong for the country just to sit back and not try to lead us out of the problems we have.

Clayton, I confess I don't hear or read anything unusual. What, specifically, are you referring to?

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 275
Points 4,000
HabbaBabba replied on Sat, Aug 25 2012 12:19 PM

If Rand is pretending, it only helps his agenda for the Ron Paul types to continue criticizing him anyway. So as far as it concerns libertarians or whomever, it's irrelevant what he's doing until he does it.

Not Ranked
Posts 81
Points 1,135
BransonBow replied on Sat, Aug 25 2012 12:20 PM

Ayep. As am I. You think they're above just flooding "enemy" forums with spam in order to impede discussion during "election" season?

Clayton -

I actually had the same thought. Maybe not to impede discussion so much as to basically troll without having to post and be a general annoyance. Not neccesarily moveon.org, but any number of org.'s or individuals. I've been coming here for over a year and this seems like a very sudden flood of spam and alot of it. *prepares tinfoil hat"

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 6,885
Points 121,845
Clayton replied on Sat, Aug 25 2012 2:34 PM

Rand Paul: Well, there is a disconnect and my dad used to always say that there's a lag time, you know, maybe of years, between what's going on in America and what's going on in Washington.

His Dad stopped saying this? Or perhaps he no longer talk to his Dad? Or maybe his Dad just doesn't get around anymore.

-----

Consider this Diane Sawyer interview of Scott Peterson in 2003:

Sawyer:      "What kind of marriage was it?"

Peterson:    "God, the first word that comes to mind is, you know, glorious. I mean
we took care of each other, very well. She was amazing. She is amazing."

Peterson spoke of his missing wife in the past tense before hastily correcting himself.

Peterson described his marriage as "glorious" even though he admitted to cheating on his
pregnant wife. " Did he slip up by saying...... "She was amazing. She is amazing." (past tense)

Asked about the baby boy due within weeks, he responded: "That was, it's so hard." (past tense)

-----

That Reason interview of Rand is one of the oddest interviews I have seen in a long time. And this "mis"statement of Rand's just takes the cake. Who says "as my Dad used to always say" about their living Dad???

Clayton -

• | Post Points: 65
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,051
Points 36,080
Bert replied on Sat, Aug 25 2012 2:46 PM

IDK, language can be elusive.  I'm sure I can catch myself saying something along the lines of that.  It's a bit different than saying "Walter Block used to say..." and "My dad used to say..."  I think one can view their parents in a long timeline like that to where some "family wisdom" becomes a past tense thing.

I had always been impressed by the fact that there are a surprising number of individuals who never use their minds if they can avoid it, and an equal number who do use their minds, but in an amazingly stupid way. - Carl Jung, Man and His Symbols
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 6,885
Points 121,845
Clayton replied on Sat, Aug 25 2012 2:58 PM

Still freaks me out. I'm watching historical RP vids to try to see if there's any change, however minor, in his appearance/demeanor.

Clayton -

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

Clayton:
That Reason interview of Rand is one of the oddest interviews I have seen in a long time. And this "mis"statement of Rand's just takes the cake. Who says "as my Dad used to always say" about their living Dad???

I agree with Bert.  I would use the same language without a problem.  Just because you remember hearing things growing up doesn't mean you don't talk any more.  And maybe Ron doesn't say that as much any more...or at least not to someone like Rand who's heard it a thousand times.

You must be really tough to live with, Clayton.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 6,885
Points 121,845
Clayton replied on Sat, Aug 25 2012 3:03 PM

You must be really tough to live with, Clayton.

}:-) muahahaha

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,490
Wheylous replied on Sat, Aug 25 2012 4:03 PM

Who says "as my Dad used to always say" about their living Dad???

You mean... you mean... Ron Paul is actually dead? Then who's the guy giving the speeches?

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 6,885
Points 121,845
Clayton replied on Sat, Aug 25 2012 4:09 PM

I know! We should make a movie out of it! CIA secretly assassinated Ron Paul 10 years ago after creating a meticulously accurate body/speech-double to replace him... then ran him in the '08/'12 elections for as-yet unknown purposes...

Dun Dun DUNNNNNNNNNNNNN

Clayton -

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 6,885
Points 121,845
Clayton replied on Sat, Aug 25 2012 4:10 PM

And why does the Terminator have metal teeth and nose-holes? Or even a jaw at all for that matter?

Clayton -

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 233
Points 4,440
Cortes replied on Sat, Aug 25 2012 4:47 PM

I'm pretty sure the spam is due to this forum software essentially being abandonware

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 244
Points 3,770
MMMark replied on Sat, Aug 25 2012 4:52 PM

Sat. 12/08/25 17:53 EDT
.post #238

Rand Paul: Well, there is a disconnect and my dad used to always say that there's a lag time, you know, maybe of years, between what's going on in America and what's going on in Washington.

His Dad stopped saying this?
Yeah, possibly. It strikes me as one of those observations that one would verbalize for a while after discovering it, but then cease verbalizing it once it became just another part of one's weltanshauung...as obvious as "the sky is blue," and as unnecessary to keep pointing out.

Clayton:
Or perhaps he no longer talk to his Dad?
Perhaps.

Clayton:
Or maybe his Dad just doesn't get around anymore.
Not sure in what sense "doesn't get around anymore" could apply to Ron Paul, especially during the 2011/2012 campaign. It just seems like an observation that is both true and timeless, regardless of how much "getting around" Ron has been up to.

But you know, it seems to me that Ron Paul has not (entirely) ceased to verbalize this observation. I can't link to specific videos, but I recall him saying to pundits or interviewers or talk show hosts "There's a revolution going on!" - the not-too-subtle implication being that the establishment isn't (yet) aware of what "the grassroots" already know.

Edit:

4/22/10 Ron Paul vs Chris Matthews on Hardball
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAl9V9I5dOk#t=08m48s

Sawyer: "What kind of marriage was it?"

Peterson: "God, the first word that comes to mind is, you know, glorious. I mean we took care of each other, very well. She was amazing. She is amazing."

Peterson spoke of his missing wife in the past tense before hastily correcting himself.

Peterson described his marriage as "glorious" even though he admitted to cheating on his pregnant wife. " Did he slip up by saying...... "She was amazing. She is amazing." (past tense)

Asked about the baby boy due within weeks, he responded: "That was, it's so hard." (past tense)
I understand what the editor of this passage is suggesting: that Peterson's repeated reference to his wife in the past tense, and then immediately after in the present tense, implies that he is lying, that he knows his wife is permanently gone. Well, maybe...but maybe not.

Clayton:
Hm. This doesn't seem too unusual to me. I think many people could speak of their father that way, for several different reasons. Theories as to the those reasons could range from the complex and sinister to the banal and pedestrian. For example, it's even possible that Rand wasn't being as careful about his choice of words as he "should" have been. But, assuming he said exactly what he meant to say, and assuming what he said accurately expresses some reality I'm not privy to, I'm led to believe that this is just one of the many political lessons (no longer repeated) that members of the Paul family learned from the patriarch.

Clayton:
Still freaks me out. I'm watching historical RP vids to try to see if there's any change, however minor, in his appearance/demeanor.
Hm! What you imply here would not have occurred to me. I'm not dismissing your reaction or suspicions. I'm just noting that one's life experiences influence one's perceptions and reactions. We look at the same statement and "see" different things.

This might have been a more interesting interview had you been present to offer your interjections.

Page 1 of 1 (23 items) | RSS