Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Is the Iraqi Dinar a good investment?

rated by 0 users
Answered (Not Verified) This post has 0 verified answers | 4 Replies | 1 Follower

Not Ranked
Male
6 Posts
Points 150
Hunter posted on Sat, Aug 25 2012 4:32 PM

I have recently been introduced to the idea that the Iraqi Dinar is supposedly going to increase by a dramatic rate in the near future.  I have done limited research on the topic, and I have frequently come across news articles that are claiming it is a scam and the currency is a terrible investment.  I didn't know who to trust, so I thought I would ask some intelligent Austrians.  What are your thoughts about this currencies future, and would you take the time to invest in it?  Some of my colleagues are planning on making tens to hundreds of thousands by just investing $1000 American.  Thoughts?

• | Post Points: 50

All Replies

Top 25 Contributor
3,739 Posts
Points 60,635
Marko replied on Sat, Aug 25 2012 4:50 PM

Lol, better invest into monopoly money and make tens into billions.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
836 Posts
Points 15,370

I think there was a brief period of time following the war when the currency appreciated partly because Saddam's government wasn't printing more while the Americans have of course been exploding the number of dollars which also became a currency within Iraq. According to some news articles I just googled the currency's allegedly been appreciating, but can't say you could be sure about anything since you'd essentially be gambling on Iraq's central bank's policy.

"When the King is far the people are happy."  Chinese proverb

For Alexander Zinoviev and the free market there is a shared delight:

"Where there are problems there is life."

Top 75 Contributor
1,485 Posts
Points 22,155
Answered (Not Verified) Kakugo replied on Sun, Aug 26 2012 3:34 AM
Suggested by ricarpe

The Iraqi dinar is nor traded nor listed on any foreign exchange, not even Dubai. At the moment there are various dealers of widely variable reputation (going from spotless to shady) promoting the Iraqi dinar as a future great investment.

Forbes run a vitriolic piece on the Iraqi dinar fever (which they call a scam: you can read it here: http://www.forbes.com/sites/jayadkisson/2012/07/30/you-cant-fix-stupid-the-iraqi-dinar-scam-lives/

I tend to agree with them (for once). Three of the main problems (also highlighted in the article) are these:

1)There are literally tons of dinars in existence. Bernanke is probably green with envy at the quantity of money printed by the government in Baghdad.

2)Despite its oil wealth, Iraq has to borrow money just to provide the most basic services.

3)In spite of the billions spent to date the country is in shambles: it lacks the most basic infrastructures (like a reliable water supply network) and people are still butchering each other in the streets.

I may add on top of that apart from oil industry (whose benefits are mostly reaped by a selected few families and clans) the country has little to nothing of value.

Think of buying Iraqi dinas as buying stocks in Iraq "as a company", a country torn apart by ethnic and religious violence, whose sole source of income is tightly controlled by a few powerful groups which reap all the benefits, an unstable and quarrelling leadership and "plenty of rubble to deal with".

Still interested?

Together we go unsung... together we go down with our people
Top 100 Contributor
836 Posts
Points 15,370

Lol, perhaps I was being very naive taking the initial post seriously if these are just ponzi schemes. Somalia's shilling is probably the thinking man's failed state currency until the central bank was re-established in 2009.

"When the King is far the people are happy."  Chinese proverb

For Alexander Zinoviev and the free market there is a shared delight:

"Where there are problems there is life."

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS