Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

$%@# My Law Professor Says

rated by 0 users
This post has 11 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 305
Points 7,165
Willy Truth Posted: Tue, Aug 28 2012 4:50 PM
One of my law professors, on the first day of class, made a very interesting comment pertaining to IP. She said that she does not allow any voice recording technology in her class. When someone meekly asked why she has something against them, she responded, "Because my words and my thoughts are my Intellectual Property, and I don't want them reproduced or exploited without my consent." Well, her thoughts must be pretty damn valuable cause I'm paying out the ass for them, especially to not have full "ownership" of them.
  • | Post Points: 50
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,612
Points 29,515

It'd be funny if you secretly taped her and put the tapes out on bittorrent.  "Share" her thoughts with others.

Tell her she doesn't have a monopoly on a land of imagination and that her thoughts are not "created" by her, but instead they are "synthesized" by her.  They are combinations of all of the other people's thoughts that she has come across and put preferences on.  If she didn't own them, as the original authors presumably would, then her profiting off of them is illegal.  And if you don't own her thoughts because you pay for the class, then she doesn't own her teachers thoughts and is profiting off of them.  Education is void!!

The difference in pirating and sharing is that pirating is taking other people's things, then profiting off of them.  Sharing doesn't allow you to profit off of the distribution of others work.

"The Fed does not make predictions. It makes forecasts..." - Mustang19
  • | Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 871
Points 21,030
eliotn replied on Tue, Aug 28 2012 5:12 PM

I think your professor might be afraid of being plagarized.

Schools are labour camps.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 183
Points 4,050

I'm pretty sure that's a bullshit argument. You're free to record media for personal use. Otherwise they wouldn't let you buy VHS tapes.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,037
Points 17,975
John Ess replied on Tue, Aug 28 2012 8:14 PM

So she invented the American legal system?

Must be a genius woman.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 305
Points 7,165

Tell her she doesn't have a monopoly on a land of imagination and that her thoughts are not "created" by her, but instead they are "synthesized" by her.  They are combinations of all of the other people's thoughts that she has come across and put preferences on.  If she didn't own them, as the original authors presumably would, then her profiting off of them is illegal.  And if you don't own her thoughts because you pay for the class, then she doesn't own her teachers thoughts and is profiting off of them.  Education is void!!

Truth. I suppose this is the root of all Intellectual Property being BS.

Other than science and technology specific fields-- Which, although I want to, I still have trouble rationalizing why they're BS.

Does anyone have any real world analogies in this area to help me combat my Property professor?

• | Post Points: 35
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 639
Points 11,575
cab21 replied on Wed, Aug 29 2012 2:04 AM

dont like her rule, don't take her class, now that would one way to combat in the free market.

are people not allowed to form contracts with others where there are rules and  limitations or do people need to allow anything?

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

Willy Truth:
Does anyone have any real world analogies in this area to help me combat my Property professor?

Could you be more specific?  Analogies for what exactly?

Also, from The Ultimate Beginner meta-thread:

Intellectual Property (IP) and innovation resources

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 295
Points 4,255
David B replied on Mon, Sep 3 2012 8:28 AM

I think people forget that communication is solely and only a copy function.  Thinking as someone else   said is a synthesis function, but eveyone in the room is making copies eithery by remembering what she said or by taking notes.  

The problem with brain to brain communication is one of fidelity.  Where an audio recording can faithfully reproduce what she said, we can never be sure that the content of a mind that hears it matches precisely the content of the mind that said it.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,051
Points 36,080
Bert replied on Mon, Sep 3 2012 9:42 AM

Your professor sounds like a jackass.  Besides I, Pencil, there's another really great piece by Leonard Read called The Free Market and It's Enemy that I feel also tackles IP, especially on the section Who Invented the Jet?  To toot my own whistle, so to speak, here's something I wrote 2 years ago on thoughts and ideas sort of in the vein of I, Pencil.

I had always been impressed by the fact that there are a surprising number of individuals who never use their minds if they can avoid it, and an equal number who do use their minds, but in an amazingly stupid way. - Carl Jung, Man and His Symbols
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 639
Points 11,575
cab21 replied on Mon, Sep 3 2012 7:57 PM

we can go to the left side of this and demand the government provide each person in the class with a audio, video, and transcript of the class. demand each class be open school.

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 305
Points 7,165

I think people forget that communication is solely and only a copy function.  Thinking as someone else   said is a synthesis function, but eveyone in the room is making copies eithery by remembering what she said or by taking notes.

So what you're saying is...EVERYONE should go to jail for copyright infringement! As a self-interested future lawyer, I wholeheartedly agree! :P

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS