Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

*** September 2012 low content thread ***

rated by 0 users
This post has 311 Replies | 12 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,922
Points 79,590
Autolykos replied on Thu, Sep 6 2012 11:47 AM

Group claiming to have Romney tax records threatens to leak them

From the article:

The group demands $1 million worth of the online currency Bitcoins. It also says that people who want the documents released can send money as well, and whichever side sends $1 million first will win.

Bitcoin is a digital currency not overseen by any government or bank. Various merchants accept the currency for goods and services.

Who wants to bet that the real point of this is to go after Bitcoin? /Clayton cheeky

The keyboard is mightier than the gun.

Non parit potestas ipsius auctoritatem.

Voluntaryism Forum

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,679
Points 45,110
gotlucky replied on Thu, Sep 6 2012 11:55 AM

lol nice one, Autolykos.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 6,885
Points 121,845
Clayton replied on Thu, Sep 6 2012 12:20 PM

@Autolykos: Much to learn you still have, my young padawan. The rabbit hole goes much deeper. Bitcoin is a Proof-of-Concept for a global cashless virtual "money" like that shown in the movie In Time. The author of Bitcoin is actually Nick Szabo of George Washington University (a known haunt of CIA)... the pseudonymous Satoshi Nakamoto contains the hint... initials are SN... backwards of NS. The mysterious "SN" has since bowed out after Gavin Andersen (who has actually visited CIA to give a talk about Bitcoin) took over active maintenance of Bitcoin. Bitcoin is every bit as grassroots as Wikileaks (an obvious honeypot operation) is.

This is just a publicity stunt. Whoever is behind this is doing it at the behest of the Establishment!

Clayton -

http://voluntaryistreader.wordpress.com
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

Experts blow up 550-pound WWII bomb found in Munich

Cliff's Notes:

German construction workers were demolishing a nightclub when they ran across a strange-looking object.  It turned out to be a 550lb. bomb from World War II....that was still "live" and armed.

The bomb squad couldn't defuse it.....so they decided to evacuate 3,000 people from downtown Munich...
...and blow it up!

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

Democrat Debt Solutions: Tax the Rich, Spend More Money

my favorite part is at the very end.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,739
Points 60,635
Marko replied on Thu, Sep 6 2012 1:35 PM

A good Birchy song: From My Cold Dead Hands

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

For all his faults, I will say Molyneux is quite elegant and articulate in making the case for freedom.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 6,885
Points 121,845
Clayton replied on Thu, Sep 6 2012 5:43 PM

@JJ: I listened to the first 5 minutes. I think that Molyneux unnecessarily drifts off into developmental theory: how much of the net outcome of individual behavior can be attributed to genetics and how much to the developmental environment? We don't need to answer this question in order to understand that adult behavior is profoundly affected both by genes (heredity) - what he is calling nature - and by the developmental environment - what he is calling nurture.

The question that remains unanswered is why so few rise to the top. If it is so easy to set up shop as your own slaveholder/king/whatever, why is the top of the pyramid so narrow? Why isn't there a great deal more competition? After all, the very attributes he mentions (amplification of the fight-or-flight response) are characteristic of those at the top of the pyramid, so the social process he describes should be making the competition for the top spot much more intense. This should result in a much flatter pyramid with many, many people breaking away from existing pyramids and starting their own slave/tax colonies. We observe exactly the opposite.

The fact is that human social behavior is not a blank slate. We do have innate dispositions and those dispositions include alpha-like behavior (dominance-submission). The environment in which this particular behavior evolved was not one of imperial kings and queens. The lead hunter in a hunting party was the alpha, or the tribal elder in a small tribe was the alpha. The intensification of population and capital made possible by the Agricultural Revolution also created an intensification in this hierarchical behavior. The alpha male no longer led a Wooly Mammoth hunting expedition, he led an entire army of men numbering in the hundreds of thousands. He was no longer merely head of a small tribe, he was head of an expansive nation-state.

This is not the only maladaptive behavior that humans exhibit. There are many behaviors that are now curbed by the law (even customary law) and we are much better off without them. Unfortuantely, the State creates an inversion of the law by virtue of privilege and this is how such maladapted behavior can persist. In modern law, dominance is not punished, it is refusal to be dominated - that is, failure to submit - that is punished.

Neither the inevitability argument nor the blank slate argument is persuasive. The correct answer lies somewhere between these extremes. The State is not inevitable but neither is it wholly contrary to human nature. Rather, it has hijacked a portion of human nature (alpha dominance/submission) that evolved for other purposes and has turned it to use in creating and sustaining the system of parasitism that has dominated human society for the last 6,000 years or so.

Clayton -

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,493
Points 39,355
Malachi replied on Thu, Sep 6 2012 6:03 PM
Do you belong to the government?
Keep the faith, Strannix. -Casey Ryback, Under Siege (Steven Seagal)
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

Clayton:
@JJ: I listened to the first 5 minutes.

Well fuck.  Start it at 4:35 and try again.

Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 806
Points 12,855

Someone on facebook posted favorably about Obama's character and questions how anyone could vote for Romney over him. This is what came to mind. One can never have too much Farage:

If I had a cake and ate it, it can be concluded that I do not have it anymore. HHH

Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 806
Points 12,855

One of the better parts of the movie:

If I had a cake and ate it, it can be concluded that I do not have it anymore. HHH

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,679
Points 45,110
gotlucky replied on Thu, Sep 6 2012 10:16 PM

Mr. Farage, tell us how you really feel!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

Scarlett Johansson to Youth: I'm Not Gonna Tell You Who You Vote For--Just Commit To Vote At BarackObama.com

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,288
Points 22,350

Libertarians often refer to the customary law of peoples such as the Somalians and Pashtuns and of medieval Ireland and Iceland, but the Chechens also live by custom:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chechens#Culture

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teip

http://mashar.free.fr/conduct.htm

Interestingly there is a strong emphasis on freedom and self-defence, and there is opportunity (and historical examples) of new clans being formed out of immigrants.

The Voluntaryist Reader: http://voluntaryistreader.wordpress.com/ Libertarian forums that actually work: http://voluntaryism.freeforums.org/index.php
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,490
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

As discussed earlier, the MSM may actually be losing their fever...

Typical journalist hack and progressive statist Joe Klein is not pleased with his messiah.  Reading this it's like watching a cartoon character start to figure out the attractive girl who distracts him in the middle of his pursuit and tells him which way the guy went, looks a lot like the character he's pursuing...

It's like getting to see this guy start to realize..."hey wait a minute...that politician gave a whole speech and didn't really even say anything.  What is this?  I mean, of course he's great, here's a bunch of reasons why, but...what the hell?  How long has this been going on?"

Obama Argues for a Second Term without Closing the Deal

Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 806
Points 12,855

John James:

Funny- I thought the Democrats were the "YES WE CAN" types. Now the Republicans are, in essence, the party of "YES WE CAN-BUT BETTER"
The parties are hardly trying to differentiate themselves this time around.

The elections are beginning to look a lot like a f*&%ed up version of an old Gatorade commercial. Okay so I can't find the gatorade commercial I had in mind. So here are the Manning brothers:

Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 806
Points 12,855

[The Circle Bastiat]
Bernanke as a wee lad?

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

ThatOldGuy:
Funny- I thought the Democrats were the "YES WE CAN" types. Now the Republicans are, in essence, the party of "YES WE CAN-BUT BETTER"
The parties are hardly trying to differentiate themselves this time around.

Not unlike the news networks...

Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 806
Points 12,855

HAHAHA

That was the funniest thing I've seen today. The title and description on the vid:

The Best F#@king News Team Won't Stop Ever

While other news networks claim to move or lean forward, no one is as relentless as the Best F#@king News Team on TV.

Essentially saying We tha best! reminded me of the first few lines of this song from a while back.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

Just for good measure, his initial analysis of the campaign shouldn't be missed either...

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

Michael Moynihan on the Politics of Travel Guides

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,490

I just realized the Republicans had CLINT Eastwood speak for them while the Democrats had Bill CLINTon.

They are the same people!

• | Post Points: 50
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,679
Points 45,110

Wheylous,

You forget your /Clayton tag.

Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 806
Points 12,855

Wheylous:
I just realized the Republicans had CLINT Eastwood speak for them while the Democrats had Bill CLINTon.

Yeah! We got 'em NOW!

QED

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 6,885
Points 121,845
Clayton replied on Fri, Sep 7 2012 5:17 PM

Bill Clinton is related to the British royal family and most of the British aristocracy... I wouldn't be surprised if Clint Eastwood is, too.

Edited to add:

Interesting... not sure what to make of it, but here it is FWIW: http://www.seastwood.com/backup310/Eastwood/clintgenealogy.asp

Clayton -

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 421
Points 7,165

^^that's so rich^^

the GooPhone i5...

The only one worth following is the one who leads... not the one who pulls; for it is not the direction that condemns the puller, it is the rope that he holds.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 5,118
Points 87,310
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

Wheylous:

I just realized the Republicans had CLINT Eastwood speak for them while the Democrats had Bill CLINTon.

Let's not forget that CLINT Dempsey, an American who plays for the American national soccer team, also has ties to the British since he also plays for a British club team in London, which is one of the Illuminati empire city-states.

To paraphrase Marc Faber: We're all doomed, but that doesn't mean that we can't make money in the process.
Rabbi Lapin: "Let's make bricks!"
Stephan Kinsella: "Say you and I both want to make a German chocolate cake."

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,490

From Tom Woods:

This company is pledging $5 toward the Murphy-Krugman debate for every T-shirt they sell this month. The shirts are very nice, so you are now morally obligated to do this. Click here, right now!

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,490

Thomas DiLorenzo explains how not to deal with depression. In the video preview it looks like he's holding a styrofoam cup about to drink and he's chewing something:

Top 75 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,018
Points 17,760

gotlucky -

Youre not the first one.

mises.org/Community/forums/t/29772.aspx

http://mises.org/Community/forums/t/30444.aspx

“Since people are concerned that ‘X’ will not be provided, ‘X’ will naturally be provided by those who are concerned by its absence."
"The sweetest of minds can harbor the harshest of men.”

http://voluntaryistreader.wordpress.org

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,490

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

EX-MICHIGAN GOV IN PODIUM MELTDOWN...