Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

*** September 2012 low content thread ***

rated by 0 users
This post has 311 Replies | 12 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 275
Points 4,000

RE: Doom Paul

One of those gave me a funny idea. A "Ron Paul" Dead Rising or Island of the dead 'mod'. The one where he's got the baseball bat? Run around spouting his one-liners and such.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 659
Points 13,305
Gero replied on Sat, Sep 15 2012 9:37 PM

Al-Qaida calls for more attacks on embassies

Teen charged with trying to blow up Chicago bar

Calif. filmmaker: I won't return to besieged home

Attackers in Afghanistan wore US uniforms

Colbert to NY Fordham students: 'I love my church'

Anti-Putin protest draws tens of thousands

Topless Kate pix published in Ireland, Italy next

Google says it won't take down anti-Muslim clip

US warns orders diplomats out of Sudan, Tunisia

Grey's Anatomy is About to Become Government Propaganda Anatomy

Gene Callahan: Propagandist for the Fed

The Libya fiasco and the folly of intervention

He Said, She Said, and the Truth

The cheating at Harvard is not limited to Harvard. The New York Times reported July 5, 2011, “A state investigation released Tuesday showed rampant, systematic cheating on test scores in this city’s long-troubled public schools, ending two years of increasing skepticism over remarkable improvements touted by school leaders. The results of the investigation, made public by Gov. Nathan Deal, showed that the cheating occurred at 44 schools and involved at least 178 teachers and principals, almost half of whom have confessed, the governor said. A culture of fear, intimidation and retaliation existed in the district, which led to a conspiracy of silence, he said in a prepared statement. “There will be consequences,” Mr. Deal said.” This cheating, in Atlanta and at Harvard, may be part of a nationwide cheating pattern.

Top 75 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,018
Points 17,760

Private vs Public schooling.

Tedx Glasgow:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzv4nBoXoZc&feature=relmfu

“Since people are concerned that ‘X’ will not be provided, ‘X’ will naturally be provided by those who are concerned by its absence."
"The sweetest of minds can harbor the harshest of men.”

http://voluntaryistreader.wordpress.org

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 3,113
Points 60,515
Esuric replied on Sat, Sep 15 2012 11:40 PM

Molyneux almost turned me into an anarchist. The man is very articulate. 

"If we wish to preserve a free society, it is essential that we recognize that the desirability of a particular object is not sufficient justification for the use of coercion."

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,490
Wheylous replied on Sun, Sep 16 2012 9:51 AM

Kelvin, a tad bit late to the club:

http://candlemind.com/projects/progclub/file/michael/edu.php

in there is

TEDxGlasgow - How Private Schools Are Serving the Poorest by Pauline Dixon

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,490
Wheylous replied on Sun, Sep 16 2012 10:07 AM

Haha:

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 6,885
Points 121,845
Clayton replied on Sun, Sep 16 2012 1:28 PM

I actually don't like the doom Paul site... :(

Dr. Paul's message is one of hope. We can stop this insanity at any point. There really is no such thing as a "cliff" that once we go off it, we're committed to completing the insanity that was begun in the past. Even if the Powers that Be bring us to world war, we can stop at any time simply by withdrawing (withdrawing is not at all the same as retreating) and calling the troops home.

It's never too late. Hope is never lost. The sick, misanthropic neocons that want  war also want us to believe we've gone off some imaginary cliff and now there's no going back... there must be war. The debt is so large and the apparatus of government is so out-of-control that we might as well resign ourselves to the fact of war. Ron Paul has set an example of consistent rejection of the pro-war message, including the message that "all is lost".

Poor, wretched, and stupid peoples, nations determined on your own misfortune and blind to your own good! You let yourselves be deprived before your own eyes of the best part of your revenues; your fields are plundered, your homes robbed, your family heirlooms taken away. You live in such a way that you cannot claim a single thing as your own; and it would seem that you consider yourselves lucky to be loaned your property, your families, and your very lives. All this havoc, this misfortune, this ruin, descends upon you not from alien foes, but from the one enemy whom you yourselves render as powerful as he is, for whom you go bravely to war, for whose greatness you do not refuse to offer your own bodies unto death.

He who thus domineers over you has only two eyes, only two hands, only one body, no more than is possessed by the least man among the infinite numbers dwelling in your cities; he has indeed nothing more than the power that you confer upon him to destroy you. Where has he acquired enough eyes to spy upon you, if you do not provide them yourselves? How can he have so many arms to beat you with, if he does not borrow them from you? The feet that trample down your cities, where does he get them if they are not your own? How does he have any power over you except through you?

How would he dare assail you if he had no cooperation from you? What could he do to you if you yourselves did not connive with the thief who plunders you, if you were not accomplices of the murderer who kills you, if you were not traitors to yourselves? You sow your crops in order that he may ravage them, you install and furnish your homes to give him goods to pillage; you rear your daughters that he may gratify his lust; you bring up your children in order that he may confer upon them the greatest privilege he knows— to be led into his battles, to be delivered to butchery, to be made the servants of his greed and the instruments of his vengeance; you yield your bodies unto hard labor in order that he may indulge in his delights and wallow in his filthy pleasures; you weaken yourselves in order to make him the stronger and the mightier to hold you in check.

From all these indignities, such as the very beasts of the field would not endure, you can deliver yourselves if you try, not by taking action, but merely by willing to be free. Resolve to serve no more, and you are at once freed. I do not ask that you place hands upon the tyrant to topple him over, but simply that you support him no longer; then you will behold him, like a great Colossus whose pedestal has been pulled away, fall of his own weight and break into pieces.

- Etienne de la Boetie, The Politics of Obedience

Clayton -

http://voluntaryistreader.wordpress.com
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 6,885
Points 121,845
Clayton replied on Sun, Sep 16 2012 3:24 PM

Scariest organization you never heard of.

Clayton -

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,490
Wheylous replied on Sun, Sep 16 2012 3:31 PM

Doesn't seem that bad...

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,490
Wheylous replied on Sun, Sep 16 2012 3:31 PM

I'm reading Rothbard's MES and I'm ticked off by the definitions he's using...

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,493
Points 39,355
Malachi replied on Sun, Sep 16 2012 4:32 PM
Keep the faith, Strannix. -Casey Ryback, Under Siege (Steven Seagal)
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

There's no reason for that one to be hidden.

Why you no embed the video??

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,493
Points 39,355
Malachi replied on Sun, Sep 16 2012 5:38 PM
I forgot, actually. I'm sorry.
Keep the faith, Strannix. -Casey Ryback, Under Siege (Steven Seagal)
Top 75 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,018
Points 17,760

Has robert murphy or tom woods ever spoke at a ted talks?

“Since people are concerned that ‘X’ will not be provided, ‘X’ will naturally be provided by those who are concerned by its absence."

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

I'd bet money you'd know if they had.

Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 488
Points 8,140
LeeO replied on Sun, Sep 16 2012 7:36 PM

Doesn't seem that bad...

Uniformity is the enemy of liberty. Ralph Raico does a good job explaining how competition among many small, diverse political units in Europe led to a liberal revolution. If your prince taxed you or regulated you too much, you could move to a more favorable location - no passport required.

Whenever you see the words "harmonization" or "uniformity" in connection with a seemingly benign organization, think "tyranny" instead.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,490
Wheylous replied on Sun, Sep 16 2012 8:11 PM

I could see private organizations in Libertopia working to provide (more) uniform rules for roads and contract templates.

Top 75 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,018
Points 17,760

So they never have?

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,490
Wheylous replied on Sun, Sep 16 2012 8:18 PM

?

On another topic, I'm leaving this here for any of you with neocon friends:

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,490
Wheylous replied on Sun, Sep 16 2012 8:23 PM

So apparently DiLorenzo's The Real Lincoln has a part discussing railroad subsidies and cronyism, which I really want to read about. But I also don't want to poke the Lincoln issue with a five foot pole frown

• | Post Points: 35
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,288
Points 22,350

But I also don't want to poke the Lincoln issue with a five foot pole

What? Why not?

The Voluntaryist Reader: http://voluntaryistreader.wordpress.com/ Libertarian forums that actually work: http://voluntaryism.freeforums.org/index.php
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,490
Wheylous replied on Sun, Sep 16 2012 9:14 PM

I'm afraid I'll be convinced and then say something in public criticizing Lincoln and then I'll get the DiLorenzo treatment of saying I'm pro League of the South or whatnot.

• | Post Points: 50
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 496
Points 8,945

Where can I find a good book or article aboutfixed/floating exchange rates from Austrian point ofview?

Eat the apple, fuck the Corps. I don't work for you no more!
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 6,885
Points 121,845
Clayton replied on Sun, Sep 16 2012 9:24 PM

@Whelyous: Just read the ULC's brag sheet... they are the single organization most responsible for regularization of State laws (always a preliminary step to federalization). Their reach is so extensive they brag that, day-to-day, you are constantly being affected by laws and regulations that the ULC helped put in place. They claim full credit for the Uniform Commercial Code.

Clayton -

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

Wheylous:

So apparently DiLorenzo's The Real Lincoln has a part discussing railroad subsidies and cronyism, which I really want to read about. But I also don't want to poke the Lincoln issue with a five foot pole frown

...on that note, I'll make your decision harder...

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,490
Wheylous replied on Sun, Sep 16 2012 9:52 PM

Noooooo!

Well, I have MES to read right now :P

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,288
Points 22,350

@Wheylous - I criticize Lincoln whenever he comes up, I seem to have memorized a list of his outrages.  But then I'm not from the USA so people don't care as much.  Still, you really need to see just how bad he was.

@JJ - thanks for linking to that website - tons of works there.

The Voluntaryist Reader: http://voluntaryistreader.wordpress.com/ Libertarian forums that actually work: http://voluntaryism.freeforums.org/index.php
Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,249
Points 70,775

Is Barack Obama the Messiah?

Some highlights:

Better than Jesus.

The Gospel of Barack Hussein Obama According to Mark

God of all things

And here's a lengthy quote:

Many spiritually advanced people I know (not coweringly religious, mind you, but deeply spiritual) identify Obama as a Lightworker, that rare kind of attuned being who has the ability to lead us not merely to new foreign policies or health care plans or whatnot, but who can actually help usher in a new way of being on the planet, of relating and connecting and engaging with this bizarre earthly experiment. These kinds of people actually help us evolve. They are philosophers and peacemakers of a very high order, and they speak not just to reason or emotion, but to the soul.

Mark Mortford ("Is Obama an enlightened being?" San Francisco Chronicle June 6, 2008).

My humble blog

It's easy to refute an argument if you first misrepresent it. William Keizer

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

Lawrence White for LearnLiberty:

Should we end the Fed?

(Note the upcoming videos.  I'm kind of excited.)

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

LearnLiberty does its own version of the Bill Whittle/IowaHawk budget balance thing....

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

Ben Swann goes on The Alex Jones Show

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,051
Points 36,080
Bert replied on Mon, Sep 17 2012 8:30 PM

I had always been impressed by the fact that there are a surprising number of individuals who never use their minds if they can avoid it, and an equal number who do use their minds, but in an amazingly stupid way. - Carl Jung, Man and His Symbols
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,490
Wheylous replied on Mon, Sep 17 2012 8:53 PM

surprise

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,490
Wheylous replied on Mon, Sep 17 2012 8:53 PM

I like how you snuck in "join the Progressive Family on FB" in there.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,490
Wheylous replied on Mon, Sep 17 2012 9:06 PM

I never knew Keynes was not straight! Not that it matters, but I read that and I was quite surprised. I had never heard of it.

Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 806
Points 12,855

Wheylous:
I never knew Keynes was not straight!

Yeah, I remember reading in Keynes-Hayek (which, as a book, was okay) that even when he married, the girl he married (Lydia Lopokova) had masculine features.

If I had a cake and ate it, it can be concluded that I do not have it anymore. HHH

• | Post Points: 35
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 275
Points 4,000
HabbaBabba replied on Mon, Sep 17 2012 10:03 PM

Maybe they should put him on the 3 dollar bill.

Page 5 of 8 (312 items) « First ... < Previous 3 4 5 6 7 Next > ... Last » | RSS