Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

I don't understand China

Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 15 Replies | 4 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
366 Posts
Points 7,345
Fephisto posted on Sun, Sep 2 2012 1:19 PM

Why has China had the continued growth it has?

Latest Projects

"Even when leftists talk about discrimination and sexism, they're damn well talking about the results of the economic system" ~Neodoxy

• | Post Points: 80

All Replies

Top 50 Contributor
Male
2,493 Posts
Points 39,355
We could start by defining "growth" and figuring out how "economic freedom" is measured. Stossel found it easier to open a business in frickin commie china than here in the united states. What is "grow[ing]?" the amount of people making money providing goods and services, i.e. Wealth? Or the nominal value of certain transactions?
Keep the faith, Strannix. -Casey Ryback, Under Siege (Steven Seagal)
  • | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Male
183 Posts
Points 3,740

Peter Schiff, someone who invests heavily in China, said China is in a lot of ways more free market than America.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
6,953 Posts
Points 118,135

Malachi:
We could start by defining "growth" and figuring out how "economic freedom" is measured.

Careful. We don't do definitions around here.

Stossel found it easier to open a business in frickin commie china than here in the united states.

Actually it was Hong Kong.  Not really the same thing.

As for the OP, I would say it really does depend on how you define and measure "growth" (despite how useless and unnecessary some might argue defining your terms is.)

See the links here and here for a good idea of where it's coming from though.

:EDIT:

Forgot about these:

The China Model Is Unsustainable

China and the Development Myth

Bust Looms As China Booms

What Threat, China?

Can Bubbles Also Be Made in China?

Can China Transform its Mode of Growth?

A Bull in China

China's Unsustainable Boom?

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Male
2,493 Posts
Points 39,355
Bullshit. My memory is infallible.
Top 10 Contributor
6,953 Posts
Points 118,135

Malachi:
Bullshit. My memory is infallible.

Show me the clip then, Colonel Hathi.  I showed you mine.

Top 50 Contributor
Male
2,493 Posts
Points 39,355
Obviously with an infallible memory I felt no need to watch your fallacious clip, nor do I feel compelled to "prove" something I ALREADY KNOW to be true. You can delude yourself into thinking the united states is "more free and stuff" than COMMUNIST CHINA if you like.
Top 10 Contributor
6,953 Posts
Points 118,135

Malachi:
Obviously with an infallible memory I felt no need to watch your fallacious clip, nor do I feel compelled to "prove" something I ALREADY KNOW to be true. You can delude yourself into thinking the united states is "more free and stuff" than COMMUNIST CHINA if you like.

mmm. 

Touché.

Top 500 Contributor
113 Posts
Points 1,685

Years ago I read a book called "Economic Reform in China"--I remember it talking about some businesses being charged a flat fee tax, not a flat percent.  A quick google search only yielded links about flat percentage taxes.   Anyone know if this has become widespread in China?

Top 50 Contributor
Male
2,493 Posts
Points 39,355
Was this fee for transactions, or operation and existence per annum, or what? I havent found anything btw
Not Ranked
Male
2 Posts
Points 25
Quest replied on Sun, Sep 2 2012 8:53 PM

Thought it was constant subsidation on select industries by Chinese technocrats. 
Where could I find actual sales and growth numbers for Chinese industries? Such as housing or manufacturing and government numbers like health care and military?

"Men must live and create. Live to the point of tears."
 - Albert Camus 

Top 500 Contributor
113 Posts
Points 1,685

I've scanned most of the book and haven't found what I was referring to but this passage about the move from collective to household responsibility in agriculture is similar. 

From "Economic Reform in China:Problems and Prospects pg 158:

"Under the arrangement of the household responsibility system land is contracted to individual households for a period of 15 years.  After fulfilling the procurement quota obligations, farmers are entitled to sell the surplus on the markets or retain it for their own uses.".....

"It is estimated that total factor productivity increased 15% as a result of the improvement in the incentive structure caused by changing from the production team system to the household responsibility system."

Top 500 Contributor
113 Posts
Points 1,685

Disclaimer:  I know very little of China this is based on very little information, most of which I've read in the last hour. 

Much of the book I was speaking of above was about China trying to implement property rights without calling it private property issueing leases for time periods that just get reissued in perpetuity.  According to wikipedia China's tax rate works out to 17% of GDP vs US at 26% (2008 figures), (plus we have SS medicare etc, I have no idea what all was left out of that figure).  China's highest minimum wage is $202 per month (also wikipedia).  They have a huge poor population a surplus of labor keeps wages low, so a good portion of the population may be getting paid the minimums.

I'm sure there are negative factors that I'm unfamiliar with, but these are huge advantages. 

Top 500 Contributor
366 Posts
Points 7,345

I really doubt that China really does have that much economic freedom.  Again, I don't know for sure, but:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_companies_by_revenue

There's a large amount of revenue tied up in government-owned enterprises, and I think that the business/investment/financial/labor freedom measures given by the economic freedom index can't be _all_ off.

As for a large labor pool, doesn't India have one of those?

JJ:

http://www.google.com/publicdata/explore?ds=d5bncppjof8f9_&met_y=ny_gdp_mktp_cd&idim=country:CHN&dl=en&hl=en&q=gross+domestic+product,+china

$3 trillion over the last 3 years.  I used to think that all the ghost cities meant the growth must be fake, but given that the U.S. could only get away with ~$1 trillion bubble, but do you think the Chinese bubble can be _that_ big?

Latest Projects

"Even when leftists talk about discrimination and sexism, they're damn well talking about the results of the economic system" ~Neodoxy

Top 10 Contributor
6,953 Posts
Points 118,135

Fephisto:
$3 trillion over the last 3 years.  I used to think that all the ghost cities meant the growth must be fake, but given that the U.S. could only get away with ~$1 trillion bubble, but do you think the Chinese bubble can be _that_ big?

I actually haven't looked that closely at China's figures myself, but you might check out some of those articles I added to the post above.

Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS