Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

User's Own Music

This post has 19 Replies | 4 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,051
Points 36,080
Bert Posted: Sun, Sep 2 2012 6:05 PM

Since this forum has a thread on everything possible it seems I'll upstart this since I know there's some musicians on here.

Some finger picking patterns I had recorded the other day, which is only around 13 months of playing guitar.  The rest of what's on my SC is a bit more raw.  I play a Yamaha FX370 acoustic/electric, when playing with my amp I have a lot of gain with no pedal (on the guitar and amp, low and mid all the way, hi is down all the way).  Here's an example.  People will generally tell me it's too fuzzy and that I need a different amp for a more "clean" sound, but I couldn't be further from what I'd want to hear with this.

I had always been impressed by the fact that there are a surprising number of individuals who never use their minds if they can avoid it, and an equal number who do use their minds, but in an amazingly stupid way. - Carl Jung, Man and His Symbols
  • | Post Points: 95
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 5,118
Points 87,310
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

I play the iTunes.

To paraphrase Marc Faber: We're all doomed, but that doesn't mean that we can't make money in the process.
Rabbi Lapin: "Let's make bricks!"
Stephan Kinsella: "Say you and I both want to make a German chocolate cake."

• | Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 814
Points 16,290

I'm probably wrong by assuming this, but I'm guessing you're asking what's causing the noise, so I'll answer based upon that.  The amp matters more than anything else at determining how much noise you're getting.  The electrical wiring in your building could be an issue if you have aluminum wiring.  If you're using a class D Amp, then maybe it wasn't built well... there are a lot of crappy class D amps that are sold.  Caps could've gone bad if you've been trying to get too much current out of it.

Also, I would guess Bert doesn't use iTunes since he seems like an audiophile, although l'm not an audiophile and lossy compression drives me nuts.

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,051
Points 36,080
Bert replied on Sun, Sep 2 2012 11:33 PM

I know what's causing the noise, and I like noise.  I'm using an Acoustic AG-15 amp for those recordings, and I bought it specifically for recording noise and industrial.  When I was at Guitar Center I was trying to see whitch amp I would get the best (or most) feedback out of.  I can get more feedback out of an acoustic than an electric (in regards to my preference).  When I'm playing with my amp I'm literally sitting right there at it playing with the gain with the volume all the way up.  It's just taste, people will tell me I should tweak something to make it "better" but they don't get what I want is what's "worse" in their mind.  Then again I listen to Throbbing Gristle and Sunn O))), so yeah...

Not really an audiophile though.  I'm content with mp3, but when I convert files I'll play with compression and hertz and put it up on ridiculously high levels.

Something else I've been working on that's been delayed for about 3 months.  I have 2 more tracks to record til it's finished, but I don't have rosin for my bow (procrastinating).  Suppose to be a 7 track drone/noise EP with the tracks in pairs, each pair will be different in regards to playing and recording techniques.

I had always been impressed by the fact that there are a surprising number of individuals who never use their minds if they can avoid it, and an equal number who do use their minds, but in an amazingly stupid way. - Carl Jung, Man and His Symbols
  • | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 6,885
Points 121,845
Clayton replied on Sun, Sep 2 2012 11:55 PM

@Bert: I highly recommend this series to your attention. If you're serious about music, absorbing the substance of that series will put you head and shoulders above the competition.

Clayton -

http://voluntaryistreader.wordpress.com
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,389
Points 21,840

Bert, can you rephrase the point of the thread please, I really don't understand what you're asking.

If you are asking if high gain is good, it really depends - I used to love it and used to use it often. For three years I used high gain, no low end, all down strokes almost exclusively - I usually was "anti chords" in music as well .  Though I never really used an acoustic / electric.  Just one or the other.  But it's all style and what you're aiming for I guess.  If you like throbbing gristle, you're probably on the right path.

"As in a kaleidoscope, the constellation of forces operating in the system as a whole is ever changing." - Ludwig Lachmann

"When A Man Dies A World Goes Out of Existence"  - GLS Shackle

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,612
Points 29,515

These are some DI loops I made a year or two ago.  One of them made it intact to a regular song and another went through pretty heavy modification.  The first one I made up as I went along.  And there are some bad notes in blueloop.  The takes had to be one big piece so they are basically multitracked live takes (bass and percussion is also guitar).  l i still like the solos in them.

E.M-T.I.S.

Interloop

Blueloop

P. Song Eb

"The Fed does not make predictions. It makes forecasts..." - Mustang19
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,051
Points 36,080
Bert replied on Mon, Sep 3 2012 4:38 AM

Bert, can you rephrase the point of the thread please, I really don't understand what you're asking.

For user's to post their own music, that they record and play.  IDK I'm not sure what else to title it besides "user's own music" unless the thread is retitled "music that you play/record".

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 519
Points 9,645

I mix electronic music with vinyl and cds. Mostly techno/house. Maybe one of these days I'll record something and throw it up here.

Not Ranked
Male
Posts 4
Points 65

Really interesting sound. Have you ever compiled a complete track?

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,051
Points 36,080
Bert replied on Mon, Sep 3 2012 4:29 PM

Who ya asking?

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,051
Points 36,080
Bert replied on Thu, Sep 13 2012 11:17 PM

Something I recorded tonight out the back of my car.  Was playing with my eyes closed and at the end my tailgate silently falls down and scares the shit out of me, you can hear it hit me at the end.  Anyway it's a cover of Death in June's Rose Clouds of Holocaust.

Top 75 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,018
Points 17,760

Skyclad.

“Since people are concerned that ‘X’ will not be provided, ‘X’ will naturally be provided by those who are concerned by its absence."
"The sweetest of minds can harbor the harshest of men.”

http://voluntaryistreader.wordpress.org

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,051
Points 36,080
Bert replied on Thu, Sep 13 2012 11:30 PM

Negative.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 312
Points 4,325
Chyd3nius replied on Fri, Sep 14 2012 6:35 AM

I have few projects ongoing, but nothing ready at the moment. I've thought many times about marketing here when something is finished.

-- --- English I not so well sorry I will. I'm not native speaker.
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,051
Points 36,080
Bert replied on Mon, Sep 17 2012 11:42 AM

A new recording.  I'm on guitar while my friend does vox/synth.  Told him the vox remind me of a Luciferian priest, it's fitting.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,612
Points 29,515

Do you record these things with a computer microphone?

"The Fed does not make predictions. It makes forecasts..." - Mustang19
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,051
Points 36,080
Bert replied on Mon, Sep 17 2012 4:25 PM

Heh, no, that recording my friend has an 8 track (a Boss BR-800 I think) and his Zorg has a microphone that we recorded on (which is how he does all his music, of which this song doesn't do justice to his purely electronic material).  I actually record with a Flip camera (don't have an 8 track, so it's convenient), but it seemed he set it up to have my guitar go through his synth and both into the Boss, and then the Boss into my amp.

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,051
Points 36,080
Bert replied on Sat, Sep 22 2012 9:35 AM

A new one.

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,051
Points 36,080
Bert replied on Fri, Oct 26 2012 12:31 PM

A demo of questionable quality.  Recorded each track first take out the back of my car few nights ago and ran it through Audacity.  I didn't really listen to them til I uploaded them.  4th track was made up on the spot.

Page 1 of 1 (20 items) | RSS