Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Presidential Debate questions

rated by 0 users
This post has 19 Replies | 4 Followers

Not Ranked
Male
Posts 2
Points 55
twnorman Posted: Mon, Sep 3 2012 9:45 AM

I saw a clip from a tv show where they did a mock presidential debate, and asked the candidates really hard-hitting questions.

Got me thinking. If you were moderating one of the upcoming presidential debates...what questions would you ask Romney and/or Obama?

• | Post Points: 50
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,490
Wheylous replied on Mon, Sep 3 2012 10:02 AM

hard-hitting questions

Governor Romney, have you considered the possibility that your mom never in fact loved you?

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,051
Points 36,080
Bert replied on Mon, Sep 3 2012 10:09 AM

Obama, based on your pretentious psuedo-intellectual support base, do you also believe that you know better than others, and based on the belief that the government knows better than people, that you can run individuals and markets better than they can run themselves?

Romney, based on your reactionary psuedo-conservative support base, do you also believe that you know better than others, and based on the belief that the government knows better than people, that you can run individuals and markets better than they can run themselves?

I had always been impressed by the fact that there are a surprising number of individuals who never use their minds if they can avoid it, and an equal number who do use their minds, but in an amazingly stupid way. - Carl Jung, Man and His Symbols
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,490
Wheylous replied on Mon, Sep 3 2012 10:33 AM

Too easy. Here's their response:

Now listen. We live in America. We believe in freedom. We believe in individuals making their choices and living their lives. We also believe in markets. Markets are a good thing. But let me be clear - markets are not perfect. History has shown us that markets fail in important ways. If you look at the Great Depression - we had reckless spending on the markets cause the greatest crash known to this country. We have moved past it and learned our lessons - we have passed comprehensive regulation to prevent that from happening. As proof, we've never had another Great Depression. We also need government to have Social Security, Medicare, and unemployment insurance. We have a duty to our seniors who have worked hard their whole lives and have placed money into the programs. We also have an obligation to poor families to ensure for them an education so that they can get a good job when they grow up.

Listen, we know that the stimulus - which included large tax cuts - created 2.5 million jobs. We also know that without government regulation, corporations would pollute the environment much, much more. Government plays an important role in the market - making sure that everything is fair for everyone and we don't let the weakest members of our societies fall through the social net.

So yes, I indeed do believe in letting people make their choices, and it is for that reason that I believe that government action is paramount to allowing us to keep our liberties.

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,051
Points 36,080
Bert replied on Mon, Sep 3 2012 10:46 AM

So yes, I indeed do believe in letting people make their choices, and it is for that reason that I believe that government action is paramount to allowing us to keep our liberties.

Statements like that - people don't ever think about it, but they eat it up.  It goes over their head, they cannot comprehend the language, because it's said in a way to make it elusive, they just never expect that.

I had always been impressed by the fact that there are a surprising number of individuals who never use their minds if they can avoid it, and an equal number who do use their minds, but in an amazingly stupid way. - Carl Jung, Man and His Symbols
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,490
Wheylous replied on Mon, Sep 3 2012 11:03 AM

Exactly. I would make for a good politician :)

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 203
Points 3,195

@Wheylous- You even have Obama's folksy, vomit-inducing idioms down pat.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,490
Wheylous replied on Mon, Sep 3 2012 12:26 PM

"Let me be clear" :D

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,679
Points 45,110
gotlucky replied on Mon, Sep 3 2012 12:29 PM

I nominate Wheylous to be our Manchurian Candidate. We can call him The Misean Candidate.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,490
Wheylous replied on Mon, Sep 3 2012 12:48 PM

"My fellow Americans"

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,051
Points 36,080
Bert replied on Mon, Sep 3 2012 12:54 PM

Only if you could look like your avatar while at the podium, it may add some zest to the suit and tie drones who are reading off a teleprompter.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,490

I'd do fireside chats:

"My dear ladies and gentlemen. As we enjoy this fine wine by the cozy fire, let us take a moment to consider the different issues now presenting themselves before us. But first, for some light Big Band in the background."

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,051
Points 36,080
Bert replied on Mon, Sep 3 2012 1:17 PM

In a smoker's jacket swirling a glass of brandy.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,612
Points 29,515

ME:  "Mr. Romney, If you could rename planet Earth, what would you name it?"

"The Fed does not make predictions. It makes forecasts..." - Mustang19
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,490

That hits hard, man.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,711
Points 29,285

Mr. Obama, why is it that you have killed thousands with your disgusting foreign policy and you're awarded the Nobel Peace Prize? Or is it just because that this ignorance about how you're such an inspiration to us all is an illusion that hasn't worn off yet?

Top 75 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,018
Points 17,760

^^^

Obama: I have never killed a person. Now let me be clear, if youre reffering the war inm iraq and afghanistan, that was bush's fault. I will post my criminal record, and background check online for anyone to see! I trust americans. We need to have more freedoms hurr durr.

“Since people are concerned that ‘X’ will not be provided, ‘X’ will naturally be provided by those who are concerned by its absence."
"The sweetest of minds can harbor the harshest of men.”

http://voluntaryistreader.wordpress.org

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,711
Points 29,285

Okay, I'll just let that bullshit fly for now, but why is pot still illegal WHEN WE HAVE PICTURES OF YOU SMOKING IT!!!

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 496
Points 8,945

whats your favorite color and why?  Please respond for a long enough period of time for this debate to be over.

(honestly, does it even matter what you ask these clowns?  they will just respond to any question with standard regurgitated political crap)

"Mr. Madison, the Industrial Revolution changed the face of the modern novel forever. Discuss, citing specific examples."

Billy madison:  Uh... Okay. The Industrial Revolution to me is just like a story I know called "The Puppy Who Lost His Way." The world was changing, and the puppy was getting... bigger.  So, you see, the puppy was like industry. In that, they were both lost in the woods. And nobody, especially the little boy - "society" - knew where to find 'em. Except that the puppy was a dog. But the industry, my friends, that was a revolution....  Knibb High football rules!"

[crowd cheers]

interviewer:  Mr. Madison, what you have just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

Eat the apple, fuck the Corps. I don't work for you no more!
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,711
Points 29,285

Did I just hear a referance to some Adam Sandler movie?

Page 1 of 1 (20 items) | RSS